Guest Theo

Brooke Astor

With her money you could still be buying treatment a 104 years past your death! I'm sure someone would take the money and give it a go, the question is more to do with the amount of good you'd get from the treatment.

My eyesightss one today I thought it saiid she could still buy a tenemant buildibg, ave tyou seen the costs o f real estattes herse in New York? lately? Evven Donald Trump cant afford that/!

I thought she didn't have much money left.

Still a huge amount, but less than you'd expect for a woman who has given away over $200m.

Her donations might be why god decided to give her 104 years. Or maybe not.

This could be her rotting in hell?

Reading this thread I get the feeling she'll live a good few more years yet, although I wouldn't like to risk taking her off my list!

Btw in regards to giving a link instead of c+p the whole article I'd prefer the latter as a few links I've tried to open have either expired or need membership of the website. Most notably Phantom with his NY Times links! B)

Reading this thread I get the feeling she'll live a good few more years yet, although I wouldn't like to risk taking her off my list!

Btw in regards to giving a link instead of c+p the whole article I'd prefer the latter as a few links I've tried to open have either expired or need membership of the website. Most notably Phantom with his NY Times links! B)

membership to the site doesn't cost anything. When I've posted links to articles, it's because I'm at work and in a hurry. Unfortuntely, NY Times seemed to be the only place that was following the court case.

Judge Awards $2.2M in Astor Legal Fees

NEW YORK (AP) -- The judge who heard the fight over the estate and care of philanthropist Brooke Astor awarded lawyers in the case more than $2.2 million Monday rather than what he called the ''staggering'' $3.04 million they sought.

State Supreme Court Justice John Stackhouse noted that the fee and expense requests were meant to pay 56 lawyers, 65 legal assistants, six accountants, five bankers, six doctors, a law school professor and two public relations firms.

The judge noted that Annette de la Renta, whom he appointed to be the guardian of the 104-year-old Astor's personal well being, asked for nothing as reimbursement.

The fees and expenses will be paid from the $120 million estate of Astor, who has for decades been one of the city's top socialites.

The largest award, $1.07 million, went to the JPMorgan Chase bank, appointed by the judge to be guardian of Astor's finances.

The bank was appointed after Astor's grandson, Philip Marshall, contended she had been reduced to sleeping in a ragged gown on a filthy couch and was subsisting on pureed peas and oatmeal. He accused his father, Anthony Marshall, of neglecting her while looting her multimillion-dollar estate. His father denied wrongdoing.

The judge said he considered Philip Marshall the winner in the court fight and awarded him $368,912 to pay his lawyers. Stackhouse also awarded Anthony Marshall $409,451 to cover legal expenses.

Astor is the widow of Vincent Astor, a great-great-grandson of John Jacob Astor, who made a fortune in fur trading and New York real estate.

In the decades after her husband's death in 1959, Astor gave away nearly $200 million to support New York's great cultural institutions and a host of humbler projects, winning a Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, in 1998.

Brooke Astor has rather quietly turned 105. Theres an article about here which comments on "fragile but improving health." Sounds like she was for a time very ill but has recovered a bit.

Talk about last minute. Minute women. I believe ones true focus can be mastered by a motivated state of mind. It's all about state of mind, talking a determined state of mind.

Talk about last minute. Minute women. I believe ones true focus can be mastered by a motivated state of mind. It's all about state of mind, talking a determined state of mind.

Huh???????

The laws of attraction mean a lot, how you think and what you think is where your future is. Brooke Astor might be an example. At 105 to have the will to live, and the drive to enjoy everyday is priceless.

Brooke Astor has died at the age of 105. Well done Deathlist!

A miss for my DDP - I didn't think she'd be worth it.

Anyway,

Brooke Astor is the 8th hit of 2007.

She is the 158th hit since 1987.

The 2007 list is now in 12th place shared with 1998 out of a possible 21 lists.

A miss for my DDP - I didn't think she'd be worth it.

Same here, Windsor. I just felt, with the new rules, it wasn't worth the 4 points, when there were equally good candidates worth 7 or 8 points.

Well done to Deathlist, and those who selected her.

Can't say I'm surprised. I heard she had another form of cancer to add to her long list of ailments, but it seems pneumonia did her in, in the end.

Dying on the 13th makes her a six pointer and moves me up to 6th place.

The DeathList has had a very successful summer, after a very poor first five months... you people agree?

Oh bollocks.. I forgot that. Looks like I drop out of the top 10 then. :P

Oh bollocks.. I forgot that. Looks like I drop out of the top 10 then. :P

No. I think you and Antlers should be tied for 7th. Me and Eejit went ahead that's all.

Eejit and I.

I'm staggered mind, I'm due a unique pick bonus on CPDP for this one. Still struggling to believe nobody else bagged her on there.

Although she was 105, I wasn't expecting Brooke to be the next hit of 2007. 8 successes - what a big change from a couple of months ago!

I'm staggered mind, I'm due a unique pick bonus on CPDP for this one. Still struggling to believe nobody else bagged her on there.

Mainly cos the whole idea of that particular deadpool was not to choose easy picks like ancient old biddies.

I think it's also notable that none of the teams that selected her on DDP had her down as a joker pick.

I'm guessing that most people had her down as a "20th person" or "low banker" pick - a strong, good pick, but not worth as many points as say the Iraqis or Messner etc.

(Shamir was my 20th/low banker pick - he'd better die as Lady Bird Johnson, Astor, Bruce Bennett & Zahir Shah were all rejected in favour of him) :lol::P

Mainly cos the whole idea of that particular deadpool was not to choose easy picks like ancient old biddies.

I think it's also notable that none of the teams that selected her on DDP had her down as a joker pick.

I'm guessing that most people had her down as a "20th person" or "low banker" pick - a strong, good pick, but not worth as many points as say the Iraqis or Messner etc.

(Shamir was my 20th/low banker pick - he'd better die as Lady Bird Johnson, Astor, Bruce Bennett & Zahir Shah were all rejected in favour of him) :lol::P

Totally agree OoO, it removes any skill when you pick someone just because they're old.

My father-in-law does that each year. I think the youngest person he has this time round is 92.

(Shamir was my 20th/low banker pick - he'd better die as Lady Bird Johnson, Astor, Bruce Bennett & Zahir Shah were all rejected in favour of him) :angry:<_<

Not to mention it puts him in first place in the Theme Team category too :P The votes are still coming in for the Theme Team bonus points, but I don't think FF will get them.

So not only does Brooke Astor kick me out of the top ten on the DDP, but she causes headaches for my own pool. :lol:

Still, MPFC is playing by the rules, so it's really all my fault for allowing the team in the first place. As has been discussed, however, it shall be verboten in future years. Nothing personal MPFC, just frustrated. :banghead: