Guest Theo

Brooke Astor

Article about Ms Astor in today's Torygraph, 'Living in squalor off peas and porridge'.

Most interesting that it wasn't just in the Telegraph, but Brooke Astor's plight was on the front page. There's no doubt now, that she will get a UK obit, which had been a worry of mine.

I'm surprised that she's suddenly getting so much press coverage. There hadn't been a word about her for such a long time. Maybe she's nearing her final days and the grandson is getting more and more concerned that his father will just take complete control over her estate and not leave a penny to anyone else

I had been thinking about both of those things OoO and Phantom. What I think is most important is that, setting aside the emotional part about how she used to be insanely rich and living in luxury, it just plain and simply can't be good for an 104-year-old to be living in those conditions.

With this new information, perhaps she is a more viable candidate for the DDP...

I was having similar thoughts.

New York Times article on the whole Astor thing

some quotes from the article that are deathlist related:

"Mr. Richenthal (a Broadway producer who'd worked with Astor's son) said that he had worked in an office in Mrs. Astor’s duplex apartment for the last couple of years — an apartment he said was as beautiful as when Mrs. Astor was still regularly in the spotlight. He said that her doctors had diagnosed Alzheimer’s disease several years ago and that Mr. Marshall “spends a good deal of his energy taking beautiful care of his mother.” "

"Mr. Richenthal said that Mrs. Astor’s health had declined in the last 18 months or so, and that she was in an all but vegetative state. “She has no idea where she is,” he said, adding that when Mr. Marshall and his wife, Charlene, visit her, “she doesn’t know they’re in the room.” "

Not at all surprising, given that the chance of developing Alzheimer's increases with age, not that I can remember the percentage of people with Alzheimer's above 80, 90, and 100 years of age. I just remember that for people over 110 years old, the incidence of dementia/Alzheimer's is 100% (or so it was when I was in college in the 1990's).

Perhaps Brooke's going down the same obsessive-compulsive disorder path that Howard Hughes did. There were all sorts of rumours (most of them probably false), relating to his faeces-ridden abode, his storing of urine in jars, wearing tissue boxes on his feet etc. etc.

From Wiki:

His reclusive activities and drug use had made him practically unrecognizable, his hair, beard, finger and toe nails having grown grossly long, his once strapping 6'4" frame now barely weighing 90 lbs, and the FBI had to resort to fingerprint identification to identify the body.

hughesqc6.jpg

Nice barnet!

Brooke Astor has been admitted to hospital:

Millionaire socialite admitted to hospital

NEW YORK - Millionaire socialite Brooke Astor, whose well-being is at the center of a legal battle between her son and grandson, has been admitted to a hospital, where her condition is improving, her doctor said today.

In court papers filed last week, Astor's grandson, Philip Marshall, accused his father of ignoring the 104-year-old woman's health and safety "while enriching himself with millions of dollars."

The court papers seek the removal of 82-year-old Anthony Marshall as his mother's legal guardian.

Source.

She must be as tough as old boots.

It didn't take long for hospital staff to also add "we are hopeful that she is going to go home in the very near future."

NEW YORK - Millionaire socialite Brooke Astor, whose well-being is at the center of a legal battle between her son and grandson, has been admitted to a hospital, where her condition is improving, her doctor said today.

In court papers filed last week, Astor's grandson, Philip Marshall, accused his father of ignoring the 104-year-old woman's health and safety "while enriching himself with millions of dollars."

The court papers seek the removal of 82-year-old Anthony Marshall as his mother's legal guardian.

Source.

The source of the article takes you to the front page of the Albuquerque Tribune. I love one the other headlines

"Evidence tossed out in explicit video case"

:banghead:

How can a 104 year old lady with cancer, dementia and all sorts else wrong with her be described as "improving"?

Source.

The source of the article takes you to the front page of the Albuquerque Tribune. I love one the other headlines

"Evidence tossed out in explicit video case"

:referee:

How can a 104 year old lady with cancer, dementia and all sorts else wrong with her be described as "improving"?

Perhaps they've found a pulse for the first time in a deacade. :banghead:

There was a report on News 24 last night (relayed from ABC in America) about

Astor and how badly she's treated. There should no probs with the obits for her, which

might come quite soon...

There was a report on News 24 last night (relayed from ABC in America) about

Astor and how badly she's treated. There should no probs with the obits for her, which

might come quite soon...

She's bound to get an obit in The Telegraph, The Times or The Guardian

I see he's 82 and all this bickering can't do his blood pressure much good. Anthony Marshall for 2007?

nah, 2008, with all the money he's allegedly syphoned from Astor's account he could afford better health care :)

Astor released from hospital and goes into her summer home to live

Could be bad news for us,at least short-term. :)

Those who accuse Brooke Astor's son of woefully neglecting his mother had reason to smile yesterday.

The great lady was back at the summer home they say her son planned to keep closed this year to spare the expense.

"Ms. Astor owns a summer home called Holly Hill, in Westchester County, she has always loved it there. She has told many people that is where she wants to die. Prior to going to Holly Hill, Ms. Astor was noticeably quiet and sad. Once she got there, she was happy and more alert and more talkative. Ms. Astor loves to be at Holly Hill because she has a wonderful view from her bedroom and could walk the grounds with her dogs, Boysie and Girlsie. When asked if she wants to go to Holly Hill this summer, Ms. Astor says yes. Being there would brighten her days immeasurably. The staff that works for Mrs. Astor really loves her, it breaks our hearts to see that she is not being cared for by her son in an appropriate way at the end of her life."

The allegations were convincing enough that a judge appointed one of Astor's longtime friends as her temporary guardian, replacing Marshall. The friend apparently had Astor removed from the apartment to Lenox Hill Hospital for several days. At 1:10 p.m. yesterday, Astor was discharged and transported to Holly Hill. Marshall arrived by limo a short time later. He looked not at all like a man who was delighted his mother was back in a place she loves.

The limo rolled away and Brooke Astor remained at Holly Hill, and that should give all of us a smile.

It's a shame that at that stage in someone's life they can/t advise euthansia (sp?)

Having to watch my gran suffer through progressively worsening alzheimers for nearly 30 years to the stage where towards the end she was convinced my 1yr old nephew was me and that my sister was my mother was very hard to deal with. She had some memories, but they were all jumbled up and in the last year she didn't know who anyone was.

At 104 and according to the reports that have been printed recently where Astor doesn't even know when people are in the same room must be probably worse. It was the toughest decision for my mum to write DNR (Do Not Resucitate) on my gran's medical details when the time eventually came.

I wonder if Brooke can juggle.

I have searched the internet for the last 10 minutes and can find no mention of Brooke being able to juggle. I have learnt however that a blind North Carolina man has accidently shot his wife while juggling fried chicken, so it is probably just as well.

I have searched the internet for the last 10 minutes and can find no mention of Brooke being able to juggle. I have learnt however that a blind North Carolina man has accidently shot his wife while juggling fried chicken, so it is probably just as well.

Maybe she juggles hamsters. Even if she's lost her technique, she could afford to drop a few.

A fitting end all round would be her dropping dead when it comes time to leave the summer home. A whelter of DP points generated and Brooke doesn't have to face the townhouse - scene of much unhappy abuse - again.

All this publicity is going to keep her alive. Old girls like her thrive on it. I think she'll see the year out.

All this publicity is going to keep her alive. Old girls like her thrive on it. I think she'll see the year out.

Though I agree, isn't she a little past the point where she's aware of the publicity?

Alios Alzheimer the man who gave his name to the condition current contributing to the end of Muhammad Ali and Brooke Astor is an interesting case. Dead at 51 without a definitive publication to his name and probably as a result of neglecting medical conditions he was in a position to spot.

It'll make a great TV movie when she finally goes.