Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

Sir Patrick was in fine fettle, treating us to a classic "remove monocle, wink to camera" quip about cloud cover.

Fettle? I certainly hope not. I suspect old one eye doesn't move much, but I doubt they've cast him bronze just yet.

Anyway, thanks for the update Star Crossed, I used to enjoy tuning in to the Sky at Night so these asides are most welcome.

I'll have to seek it out on the Worldwidegooglenet.

Sir Patrick was in fine fettle, treating us to a classic "remove monocle, wink to camera" quip about cloud cover.

Fettle? I certainly hope not. I suspect old one eye doesn't move much, but I doubt they've cast him bronze just yet.

Anyway, thanks for the update Star Crossed, I used to enjoy tuning in to the Sky at Night so these asides are most welcome.

The Sky At Night official website.

Episode "Jupiter Rising" (September 2009)

The Sky At Night official website.

Episode "Jupiter Rising" (September 2009)

I see he's writing himself off before 2016, obviously not impressed with his pacemaker.

Astonishingly Jade Goody cannot be linked to Patrick Moore through the Oracle of Bacon. Neither can she be linked to Kevin Bacon. Sir Patrick himself, however, has a Bacon number of 3.

Astonishingly Jade Goody cannot be linked to Patrick Moore through the Oracle of Bacon. Neither can she be linked to Kevin Bacon. Sir Patrick himself, however, has a Bacon number of 3.

I can confirm that Sir Patrick's bacon number is one to be respected. Having served him a custom-built English breakfast at the Beaumont Hotel in Hexham some years ago, I assure you all that he has an impressive sausage number, black pudding number and scrambled egg, fried bread, tea, toast and marmalade numbers that should be your envy...

Crystal clear skies here tonight, really feels like autumn is underway. I love this time of year. Gaze up in wonder.

October 2009 episode: The Great Observatories; NASA's space telescopes, namely Compton (named after the infamous suburb of Los Angeles), Chandra (after Ms. Sturrup, the Jamaican sprinting veteran), Hubble (the witches in the scottish play) and Spitzer (one of Satan's reindeer).

Sir Patrick began this month's show with a brief explanation of light itself, the electromagnetic spectrum and the reasons why he only lets us observe a small portion of it with our puny human eyes.

Joining him in the command bunker to discuss the yankee spy satellites telescopes were Prof Gerry Gilmore of Cambridge Uni, Prof Martin Barstow of Leicester Uni and Prof Chris Lintott. They gave a concise presentation detailing the reasons for, and the results of, the combined full-spectrum capability of these gadgets.

Pete Lawrence was in the garden again, guiding us around our northern-hemisphere Sky At Night for the benefit of amateur astronomers who want to see spiral galaxy M31. Don't we all?

Sir Patrick's outward appearance seems cast in stone, a portrait of vigorous octogenarian health.

October 2009 episode: The Great Observatories; NASA's space telescopes, namely Compton (named after the infamous suburb of Los Angeles), Chandra (after Ms. Sturrup, the Jamaican sprinting veteran), Hubble (the witches in the scottish play) and Spitzer (one of Satan's reindeer).

Sir Patrick began this month's show with a brief explanation of light itself, the electromagnetic spectrum and the reasons why he only lets us observe a small portion of it with our puny human eyes.

Joining him in the command bunker to discuss the yankee spy satellites telescopes were Prof Gerry Gilmore of Cambridge Uni, Prof Martin Barstow of Leicester Uni and Prof Chris Lintott. They gave a concise presentation detailing the reasons for, and the results of, the combined full-spectrum capability of these gadgets.

Pete Lawrence was in the garden again, guiding us around our northern-hemisphere Sky At Night for the benefit of amateur astronomers who want to see spiral galaxy M31. Don't we all?

Sir Patrick's outward appearance seems cast in stone, a portrait of vigorous octogenarian health.

I wonder what it's like, looking through Gerry Gilmore's eyes?

Guest D.Daugh

Thank you for praying for us while you were there. It sounds like quite the experience, and one that Ive pondered from time to time. I think I would have loved the silence.

Thank you for praying for us while you were there. It sounds like quite the experience, and one that Ive pondered from time to time. I think I would have loved the silence.

You couldn't have chosen a better thread to post in. I have no idea what you are talking about and, I suspect, neither does Sir Patrick.

How unusual, two new members choosing to alight here for their maiden posts, one commenting on the other's post in an enigmatic and mischievously off topic exchange, as if Hansel and Gretel have wandered in to the woods. As if.

Perhaps they might like to linger a while and take a shower in the DL's very own Norman Bates motel.

I always thought that song was by Morris Minor and the Majors.

Which only goes to show how much I learned in 7 years at various music colleges.

Yup, that should just about do it. Go on, take that shower post Lardy. You know you want to.

Yup, that should just about do it. Go on, take that shower post Lardy. You know you want to.

Eh?

Eh?

Lardy, Lardy, Lardy, you have to go back a few posts and understand as I'm sure you do that this is

's favourite thread that he covets and visits every full moon. He often has something to say to those who make off topic posts here. Everyone knows this. So it seemed a bit odd and a little bit suspicious that two new posters should just happen on this thread for their posts, hence reference to Hansel and Gretel. The Norman Bates reference was just a picture in my mind of an innocent poster who pops in to a thread (motel), makes a comment (has a shower), and suffers a vicious attacklike this
. What's so strange about that?

Personally I think SC is a sweetie. He just has his little ways with people. :wub:

Eh?

Lardy, Lardy, Lardy, you have to go back a few posts and understand as I'm sure you do that this is

's favourite thread that he covets and visits every full moon. He often has something to say to those who make off topic posts here. Everyone knows this. So it seemed a bit odd and a little bit suspicious that two new posters should just happen on this thread for their posts, hence reference to Hansel and Gretel. The Norman Bates reference was just a picture in my mind of an innocent poster who pops in to a thread (motel), makes a comment (has a shower), and suffers a vicious attacklike this
. What's so strange about that?

Personally I think SC is a sweetie. He just has his little ways with people. :wub:

Oh, now you've explained it I get it. Guess that just goes to show how much notice I've taken of SC's posts in the past.

I think the problem was that nobody fully opened the door for Lardy to barge in.

Example: LFN to Lardy: Do you know if SC has seen Uranus?

Lardy: Seen it? My arse is that fooking big even Stevie Wonder could see it!!!

In one fell swoop, topic hijacked and obliterated. :wub:

How unusual, two new members choosing to alight here for their maiden posts, one commenting on the other's post in an enigmatic and mischievously off topic exchange, as if Hansel and Gretel have wandered in to the woods. As if.

Perhaps they might like to linger a while and take a shower in the DL's very own Norman Bates motel.

Thank you for the welcome, sir. Could you pass me the soap, please?

Thank you for the welcome, sir. Could you pass me the soap, please?

Soap? WTF do you think this kind of hotel is?

We only have shower gel here.

If thats to posh for you, fook off and go and stay in a Travelodge.

I think the problem was that nobody fully opened the door for Lardy to barge in.

In one fell swoop, topic hijacked and obliterated. <_<

F'uck off you Norfolk dwelling web fingered inbreed.

B)

:unsure:

In one fell swoop, topic hijacked and obliterated. <_<

F'uck off you Norfolk dwelling web fingered inbreed.

B)

:unsure:

Im shocked, crushed and angry.

How dare you! :lol:

PS: Are we now pissing on his chips by posting horseshit all over his baby?

Having appeared on Radio Shuttleworth like Sir Patrick, I feel we have similar interests. In fact I think Sir Paddy would be honoured that this thread is somewhat devoted to all things meterological. In fact he has contributed to that well circulated journal Weather, 62, 78 (2007).

When I was six years old, living at East Grinstead in Sussex, I became fascinated by astronomy and naturally this meant taking an interest in the weather; I needed clear skies. I even started to make notes...

The rest can be found in the attachment for those unable to get hold of a copy of the Royal Meterological Society's monthly magazine, available free to its members and could possible appeal to the likes of Star Cross(?) and the rest of this jovial community I've stumbled upon.

I tell you something for nowt, meterology is not the only interest we have in common. Wincey Willis could tell you a thing or two about my passion for the cosmos. Back in the golden days (before the BBC became over run with these women chiefs, hey Patrick) she'd spend many an hour gazing in awe at my telescope whilst I examined her mound of Venus. Although I have to admit it's nothing like your 15" er Patrick, even when fully extended and as for Venus, I think I prefer Uranus.

Weather_in_my_life.pdf

Having appeared on Radio Shuttleworth like Sir Patrick, I feel we have similar interests. In fact I think Sir Paddy would be honoured that this thread is somewhat devoted to all things meterological. In fact he has contributed to that well circulated journal Weather, 62, 78 (2007).

When I was six years old, living at East Grinstead in Sussex, I became fascinated by astronomy and naturally this meant taking an interest in the weather; I needed clear skies. I even started to make notes...

The rest can be found in the attachment for those unable to get hold of a copy of the Royal Meterological Society's monthly magazine, available free to its members and could possible appeal to the likes of Star Cross(?) and the rest of this jovial community I've stumbled upon.

I tell you something for nowt, meterology is not the only interest we have in common. Wincey Willis could tell you a thing or two about my passion for the cosmos. Back in the golden days (before the BBC became over run with these women chiefs, hey Patrick) she'd spend many an hour gazing in awe at my telescope whilst I examined her mound of Venus. Although I have to admit it's nothing like your 15" er Patrick, even when fully extended and as for Venus, I think I prefer Uranus.

John, I don't think you're going to fit in around here, you've posted something ON TOPIC :skull:

Is it me....or does Sir Patrick look like a sad, neglected animatronic that wasn't fit for purpose even twenty years ago?

OK, it's me.

Anyhow, he's been the dynamic, eccentric enthusiast for many years (which probably helped recommission the programme), but it's kind of sad to see the monthly physical decline.

Also, it's getting harder to understand what he's even saying now......it's a shame. :skull:

When I do see the monacled Sir Patrick, I always think "is that what Lord Charles would look like if he aged?" (Hints of Dorian Gray)

... Anyhow, he's been the dynamic, eccentric enthusiast for many years (which probably helped recommission the programme), but it's kind of sad to see the monthly physical decline.

Also, it's getting harder to understand what he's even saying now......it's a shame. :skull: ...

Monthly physical decline? [jesus quintana]Laughable![/jesus quintana]

Unless you're Sir Patrick's personal physician, I highly doubt that you've been able to discern any degradation of his physical, or vocal, condition in 2009; if anything, he's looking and sounding fitter than he was last year.

Do pay attention, 007...

LUNAR IMPACT!!!

November's edition of The Sky at Night sees Patrick settle down on his couch in the garden to watch the LCROSS probe make a feeble attempt to disrupt the moon's cool and encourage it to give up its water-bearing secrets. Expect a harumph or two.

moon_1504735c.jpg