Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

Never saw his show. But it sounds peaceful 'The sky at night' and i've actually said it before. I like the stars, I always take notice of a few. One being a blue star, that has a different fashion then all the others.

Ryan's belt is three stars in a row. And of course the golden star. Which vanishes and appears as it flees.

Wait! You've never seen any of these stars, have you?

Some disappointing star-watching over the last few days, what with the low cloud and drizzle in my neck of the woods.I wonder what the weather is like over Patricks way? Selsey in West Sussex as I recall.

Never saw his show. But it sounds peaceful 'The sky at night' and i've actually said it before. I like the stars, I always take notice of a few. One being a blue star, that has a different fashion then all the others.

Ryan's belt is three stars in a row. And of course the golden star. Which vanishes and appears as it flees.

Wait! You've never seen any of these stars, have you?

I think you'll find that's O'Ryan's belt.

Named after the famous Irish meteorologist Declan O'Ryan, the discoverer of sleet.

Last night I tuned in to this program which talked about encounters with UFO's through the blury history of us all. It has been clear in painings, clear in scriptures, clear in photography and this has been accounted for well before the modern times, so that erases the possibility of Germany or other countries having involvement with top secret air devices. But is it true that our past relatives have probably very little if no knowledge on the stone cold facts of astronomy? Would that explain the strange lights that dwell in the heart of skies through all of time? I'm still in doubt. But only a fool would believe we are the only living creatures in this entire dark stretching tunnel of eternity.

As for planets outside this galaxy, and especially visitors talking to people about their concern relating to nuclear warefar, I'm sorry Mr. - Back down your to honest for me.

supposed to be a lunar eclipse or something tonight, maybe patrick wants to go out on a decent night?

supposed to be a lunar eclipse or something tonight, maybe patrick wants to go out on a decent night?

It's too bloomin' cloudy and pissing with rain. Arse.

It's too bloomin' cloudy and pissing with rain. Arse.

It's a beautiful cool clear night here :referee: . Still nothing happening yet though

did anyone get a good view of the solar eclipse in um 99? (was it 99?) i was supposed to be in the best place to view it, right at the SW tip of England... and it was cloudy. still wierd though for it to go dark for a few minutes..

rm

did anyone get a good view of the solar eclipse in um 99? (was it 99?) i was supposed to be in the best place to view it, right at the SW tip of England... and it was cloudy. still wierd though for it to go dark for a few minutes..

rm

Yes, I was in Cumbernauld at the time making a delivery. Wasn't the best view, but it was a bit spooky when it got a bit dimmer and colder.

rm

I did, I'm in Wiltshire. It was quite weird, as it got darker all the birds went quiet, and a strange stillness descended. I looked at it through my special glasses.

Take a look at the moon right now! If you're in the UK, it's really pretty - dark with a bright shiny bit.

I'm off to gaze some more...

I believe today is also his 84th birthday.

Happy 84th, Pat!

84bday72105b.jpg

She looks like a good woman for you - maybe you can share a slice of cake.

Or just play the Xylophone.

re: Solar Eclipse.

I went over to Northern France to avoid the traditional British hospitality (Radio One Roadshows, Traffic Jams, Overpriced food.) Spectacular is not the word! Clear skies, just one small cloud which strangely shrunk away to nnothing as the sun disappeared; birds roosting, stunned silence and all. Brilliant day.

I went over to Northern France to avoid the traditional British hospitality (Radio One Roadshows, Traffic Jams, Overpriced food.) Spectacular is not the word! Clear skies, just one small cloud which strangely shrunk away to nnothing as the sun disappeared; birds roosting, stunned silence and all. Brilliant day.

great i had fatboy slim, and a cloudy radio one roadshow in st ives

But at least you didn't have the traffic jams, what with being a Cornishman and all. Do the locals still spray 'Brits Out' graffiti over English Heritage signs down there?

haha yeah. and they paint cornish flags all over them as well... they seem to think this is a different country?

I went to Luxembourg for it and we had totally too. However the only thing I can really remember of it were my dad's false teeth shining when I took his photograph.

I went to Luxembourg for it and we had totally too. However the only thing I can really remember of it were my dad's false teeth shining when I took his photograph.

We had made our way to Augsburg, in southern Germany, also on the path of 'totality.' It was a fine afternoon, we had enjoyed a good lunch and were on the road to somewhere (looking for afternoon tea, I expect.)

The skies were almost cloudless until nearly totality, when quite quickly the storm clouds gathered and the rain came down. We had pulled into a large grassy layby to take photographs and were soon joined by the occupants of several other vehicles all intent on the same purpose. Umbrellas and waterproof jackets were shared, we took souvenir photographs for each other and all moaned about the sudden cold and wind in an assortment of non-mutual languages.

As total darkness descended, the clouds cleared often enough to get a good view of the event and as soon as it was over the good weather was restored and the 'dawn chorus' serenaded us back to our cars.

A splendid afternoon; rare natural drama followed by kaffee und kuchen!

just watched Pats 50th anniversary special of Sky at Night ,and it has to be one of the most hilarious and bizarre things i've ever seen on tv-Jon Culshaw plays the part of Patrick in half the show,and the other half is presented by Patricks floating head which is meant to have been downloaded on to a computer following his mortal demise in the year 2015.and he looks in good form.Don't rule him out for a 60th anniversary special though!

just watched Pats 50th anniversary special of Sky at Night ,and it has to be one of the most hilarious and bizarre things i've ever seen on tv-Jon Culshaw plays the part of Patrick in half the show,and the other half is presented by Patricks floating head which is meant to have been downloaded on to a computer following his mortal demise in the year 2015.and he looks in good form.Don't rule him out for a 60th anniversary special though!

Quite a disturbing peice of television, rather funny in parts too. John Culshaw's part was well scripted but it doesn't hide the fact he's a crap impressionist and all his impressions are the same. Trevor McDonald/Tony Blair/ Patrick Moore do not sound like that, and they certainly don't sound the same!Anyway, yeah Patrick Moore looks fairly healthy, if enormous and chair bound.

one of the worlds most famous astronomers has died (But not, of course, Patrick Moore who is still very much alive - ATJ) :(

Looks like it is going to be Scorchio! again this weekend. Cheers Paddy.