Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

Nice to hear old Patrick is still going strong. Back around 1990, he came to our school and he looked old then but I think he's always looked old. :)

Hopefully this bozo will croak soon that way we can have a better number for the year.

His epitaph: "He was just one moore....it was in the stars"

what do we think for 2007 then? he always seems kinda chirpy on TV and Radio... and didnt he just write a book with that guy from Queen?

Patrick has been involved in picking designs for postage stamps due on sale in February, bet he lives long enough to see them.

Our 650th anniversary programme with Piers Sellers the British astronaut who came down here especially to do the programme is going on at five to two in the morning, and I am not pleased," he said.

The man has a point - suggesting his faculties are still sharp enough. Even if they'd aired this episode at a survivable time on BBC3 and also its graveyard slot on the main channel, that would have been an improvement on this. I mean, there's loads of deadpickers want to keep an eye on Patrick!

Our 650th anniversary programme with Piers Sellers the British astronaut who came down here especially to do the programme is going on at five to two in the morning, and I am not pleased," he said.

The man has a point - suggesting his faculties are still sharp enough. Even if they'd aired this episode at a survivable time on BBC3 and also its graveyard slot on the main channel, that would have been an improvement on this. I mean, there's loads of deadpickers want to keep an eye on Patrick!

I saw it and he looked in pretty good nick. Shaved parts of his head, by the looks of it, too :ph34r:

The title of his show '\ The Sky At Night' it is very peaceful.

It's also hopelessly out of date when they're talking radio astronomy, Hubble Telescope etc. I wonder if they'll rethink the whole concept when Patrick's done with living.

I saw it and he looked in pretty good nick. Shaved parts of his head, by the looks of it, too :ph34r:

Must be a slow news day, because the Torygraph has the same story about him being unhappy with the graveyard slot for the Sky at Night, even though it looks to be about three days old.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...09/nmoore09.xml

"Earlier anniversary editions of his monthly tour of the heavens were accorded much greater prominence, he said. "But in earlier times the BBC was run by men," said Sir Patrick, of Selsey, Sussex.

However, he admitted that he did not know for sure that the decision to put The Sky At Night on late had been a feminine choice. "It must have been a woman, simple as that," he said."

Classic.

... he did not know for sure that the decision to put The Sky At Night on late had been a feminine choice ...

Whomsoever's decision it was, is deserving of a bareback horse ride to Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, where they should be tied to a stake on the launchpad and burned alive by the vicious flames of the next available Soyuz rocket, and then have their death reported in the "not famous enough" and "ironic deaths" threads.

TSAN and Patrick Moore's presentation of it, is one of the very few reasons to justify the payment of any kind of television tax licence fee and should be prime-time, if not compulsory, viewing. Anyone who knows anything about anything at all must agree that there is absolutely no room for manoeuvre or debate on this issue. As those of you salty enough to have stayed up to watch the last episode will have witnessed, no less top-hole a man than Piers Sellers, when thanked for appearing on the programme, replied with the greatest sincerity "The honour is all mine."

...anyone who knows anything about anything at all must agree that there is absolutely no room for pedantry in this thread.

... the John Goodman character, Walter Sobchak, in The Big Lebowski[/url], one of my all-time favourite films.

Godot, stay out of this. You're out of your element, you've got no frame of reference, etc. Sobchak; one of the greatest ranters in cinema.

This thread is about Sir Patrick Moore. Anyone not armed with relevant comments needs to back the f**k up and get out of here. It's about drawing a line in the sand, dude, over which the whores shall not cross.

Now, can someone please delete this and the previous 3 posts, and get this F*****g thread back on-topic?

To get back on topic, I may very well delete some of this thread tomorrow or the next day, but not before pointing out to Star Crossed that as usual, he is behaving like a complete dick.

Star Crossed is misunderstood. He was only acting Walter's character. I hope you don't delete the splendid Big Lebowski short.

Patrick Moore meanwhile was quite right to complain about his late showing on the BBC but he did betray an unfortunate trace of misogyny, something he probably picked up in Nam.

Of course I could be wrong. But I thought his post kind of pulled the thread together.

Patrick Moore: Am I wrong?

The Dude: No you're not wrong.

Patrick Moore: Am I wrong?

The Dude: You're not wrong Patrick/Walter/SC. You're just an asshole.

Patrick Moore: All right then.

Of course I could be wrong. But I thought his post kind of pulled the thread together.

Yeah man, it really tied the thread together...

Unfortunately, Godot, only you and I seem to understand how hilariously funny and clever (albeit off-topic) our Lebowski-based exchanges have been.

[rant]I didn't want to post again but, at the risk of being obtuse, I must say it's a shame that NAP seems to have lowered himself by taking exceptionally public exception, once more, to my attempts at relevance to both your film references and the actual subject matter, which is odd given the kids' trivial attempts at ironic whoring further up this page. So please, NAP, do your job of Moderating this thread which, quite frankly, I could do better; delete away, and chuck in a warning for me as well if it gets that monkey off your back... at least you'll be championing some of the membership's interests, eh? Then revert to suffering in impotent silence, or complicity as it seems, as the kids continue to spam your forums with utter drivel, until the next time common sense prevails and someone like me tries to get things back on track before being flamed for trying to show a little respect to the letter, and spirit, of the thread.[/rant]

This is not 'nam. This is the Patrick Moore thread. There are (unwritten) rules.

Any news on Sir Patrick?

Not news as such, but I have just read his 1972 book "Can You Speak Venusian?"; a cracking read, extremely witty.

SC, you're entering a world of pain.

I've changed my mind.

I'm not going to delete anything from this thread. It can stand here as an example how of badly it is possible to behave on a forum. At least until someone else deletes it.

I'm sorry I didn't understand the private joke, but frankly I can't differentiate between it and the rest of Star Crossed's tedious cantankerous rantings.

Star Crossed, I have it somewhere in the back of my mind that you are a schoolteacher.

Do your students have an affectionate nickname for you, or as I suspect, an uncomplimentary one?

...anyone who knows anything about anything at all must agree that there is absolutely no room for pedantry in this thread.

... the John Goodman character, Walter Sobchak, in The Big Lebowski[/url], one of my all-time favourite films.

Godot, stay out of this. You're out of your element, you've got no frame of reference, etc. Sobchak; one of the greatest ranters in cinema.

This thread is about Sir Patrick Moore. Anyone not armed with relevant comments needs to back the f**k up and get out of here. It's about drawing a line in the sand, dude, over which the whores shall not cross.

Now, can someone please delete this and the previous 3 posts, and get this F*****g thread back on-topic?

To get back on topic, I may very well delete some of this thread tomorrow or the next day, but not before pointing out to Star Crossed that as usual, he is behaving like a complete dick.

ok, I'm confused. First NAP says he will delete parts of this thread, then he says he won't, but it appears someone did delete at least one of Star Crossed's posts from last night. And I'm not quite sure how Godot figures into all this. Or the Big Lebowski. Maybe it's all very existentialist and going miles above my simple mind. I'd have thought if one were to have such a discussion in an astronomer's thread Stephen Hawking might have been a better host.

I'm sorry I didn't understand the private joke, but frankly I can't differentiate between it and the rest of Star Crossed's tedious cantankerous rantings.

You didn't understand it because it wasn't funny.

There is no such thing as intelligent comedy. The phrase was invented to make people feel obliged to laugh.

Star Crossed, I have it somewhere in the back of my mind that you are a schoolteacher.

The red marks on his wrists were from the ruler. He is on my attendence list. But really let's end this pointless feud that I didn't even bother much to read and talk about death of an anstronomer.

patrick-moore.jpg

ok, I'm confused. First NAP says he will delete parts of this thread, then he says he won't, but it appears someone did delete at least one of Star Crossed's posts from last night ...

No confusion necessary. It seems NAP deleted about 10-12 posts, mostly the rampant off-topic idle chit-chat by his pet posters, Windsor, Banshees and CP, which took up a full page of this thread last night. I think he also deleted some of mine and Godot's Lebowski stylings, which came after the full page of kiddy sh*t. Which is fair enough, I asked for it to be deleted, as it was only the remnants of our off-topic rant-based rantings. So then NAP comes back with some vicious schoolteacher jibe. Must have been scratching his nutsack head all morning thinking that one up.

lol Windsor, "no such thing as intelligent comedy"; did you get that sh*t off the back of a Weetabix packet, or was it the pop-psychology-phrase-a-day toilet paper you got for Christmas? Watch Lebowski sometime and get yourself an education. Then watch The Usual Suspects. Then go beddy-byes.

Would a proper Moderator do some pruning, get this f*cking thread back on topic, pretty please with F*****g sugar and a glacé cherry on top, or does this become the new Dickie O' thread? It's up to you.

Would a proper Moderator do some pruning, get this f*cking thread back on topic, pretty please with F*****g sugar and a glacé cherry on top, or does this become the new Dickie O' thread? It's up to you.

Settling down now Star Crossed, settle yourself. That is allready underway so lets not contribute to the candy house postings which fill the trash can. This will never be a Richard O'Sullivan thread. But for f**ks sake if i'm wrong we might have a Lady Clarissa Richmond of the Moore thread. And that would be ugly.

ok, I'm confused. First NAP says he will delete parts of this thread, then he says he won't, but it appears someone did delete at least one of Star Crossed's posts from last night ...
No confusion necessary. It seems NAP deleted about 10-12 posts, mostly the rampant off-topic idle chit-chat by his pet posters[...]

A brief inspection of the moderation logs taught me that it wasn't NAP who deleted those posts.

regards,

Hein

lol Windsor, "no such thing as intelligent comedy"; did you get that sh*t off the back of a Weetabix packet, or was it the pop-psychology-phrase-a-day toilet paper you got for Christmas? Watch Lebowski sometime and get yourself an education. Then watch The Usual Suspects. Then go beddy-byes.

Oh deary me SC - reduced to using 'lol' in a DL post! What next?

You'll have to give yourself 10 lashings for that. :rolleyes:

(Edited to get rid of whining and tawdry attempts to pick a fight-ATJ)