Sign in to follow this  
Putin

Christopher Tolkien

I will legitimately commit murder if this leads to Hollywood fucking up The Silmarillion. If someone's willing to hire a competent crew and director and pay the money for the effects, and make it a TV/web series so there's space to allow things to play out, fine. But if they fuck that up and we end up with the DCU version of Middle Earth from here on out...

The Beatles planned to do a live-action version with Paul McCartney as Frodo Baggins, Ringo Starr as Sam Gamgee, George Harrison as Gandalf, and John Lennon as Gollum. The group approached Stanley Kubrick to direct the film. Even though he briefly considered directing the film, Kubrick turned the offer down, as he felt the novel was unfilmable due to its immensity

Would it have been kino?

52 minutes ago, CastAway said:

I will legitimately commit murder if this leads to Hollywood fucking up The Silmarillion. If someone's willing to hire a competent crew and director and pay the money for the effects, and make it a TV/web series so there's space to allow things to play out, fine. But if they fuck that up and we end up with the DCU version of Middle Earth from here on out...

the fall of gondolin would make a brilliant film/series in the right hands

Well Tolkien's son had a long and nice life making millions of his silmarillions.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, runebomme said:

the fall of gondolin would make a brilliant film/series in the right hands

Countdown to a Beren and Luthien holiday movie coming in 3, 2, 1

But no the stories can be fab in the right hands. Unlikely that they will get those right hands though, unfortunately

• Like 1

That seems to spell the end for his thread then, no?

A chapter of cultural history closes 

RIP

We will soon have the Amazon series to discuss.  I can already hear old Chris turning in his grave.

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

We will soon have the Amazon series to discuss.  I can already hear old Chris turning in his grave.

Why, because he left a few of his Dad's laundry list unpublished in lavish hardback editions?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1