Ulitzer95

UK Singles Chart

Colin Gibb of Black Lace charted with the song “Agadoo”, being reported dead at 70.

IMG_1675.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Colin Gibb of Black Lace charted with the song “Agadoo”, being reported dead at 70.

IMG_1675.jpeg

I appear to have jinxed him by do, do, do, come on and doing the conga.

Retired on 13th May, played his last gig on 16th, and with it came the formal end of Black Lace after 49 years.

Said to have died yesterday in Tenerife "suddenly" and unexpectedly. Him and his wife were due to formally move to Spain this week according to another tweet. Very sad – RIP Colin. He essentially was Black Lace.

I once made a massive faux pas in front of him back in 2001 when he was in the short-lived Wellbeing satellite channel office awaiting an on-air 80s makeover.

"Colin Gibb? Colin Routh isn't it. He was the one done for knobbing a 14-year-old, wasn't he?"

*turns round to see the aforementioned glaring at me*

"Oops..."

Probably a good job I didn't say The Nolans should have represented us at Eurovision in 1979 too...

Anyhoo, RIP. The end of 'proper' Black Lace. They were all local - the fella who replaced Routh following the above (and who got done for benefit fraud a few years ago) used to bank at my village Barclays branch and had a very nice indeed Lotus Esprit, and I think Routh/Gibb lived down Cleckheaton Road (also vvv near to me) at one point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Why did I have it in my head that one of Black Lace was kidnapped while on holiday in the 90s and held political prisoner? In somewhere like Nepal or Tibet. Google doesn't bring up any British musicians being kidnapped in northern Asia during the 90s...

I've just realised I had them mixed up with Paper Lace, who dressed as US civil war soldiers for "Billy Don't Be A Hero," then gangsters for "The Night Chicago Died," and then bikers with matching jumpsuits for "The Black-Eyed Boys"... and then the gimmick ran out of steam. All but one of the hit-making lineup of Paper Lace are still alive, it seems.

On 16/10/2020 at 01:02, Ulitzer95 said:

The Selecter
Wiki UK two-tone ska revival band from Coventry, Warwickshire, formed in 1979 and disbanded in 1981, later active between 1991 and 2006 and since 2010, David Amanor is now a journalist for BBC Africa, Anderson now lives in Bogota, Colombia
David Compton Amanor Feb 1959 – Living
Charley Anderson 30 Jan 1954 – Living
Charley "Aitch" Bembridge c. 1954 – Living
Pauline Black 23 Oct 1953 – Living
Desmond Brown no info available
Neol Davies 26 Apr 1952 – Living
Arthur "Gaps" Hendrickson 29 Apr 19?? – Living
13/10/1979 On My Radio #8

With Gaps gone, first of the debuting singles group to go. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c06618ln7xlo

RIP. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

With Gaps gone, first of the debuting singles group to go. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c06618ln7xlo

RIP. 

This article confirms that Gaps Hendrickson was 73 @Ulitzer95 if that helps clarify his date of birth. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-13519181/Selecter-pays-tribute-gentlemen-frontman-Arthur-Hendrickson-dies-73.html

• Thanks 1