maryportfuncity

MMMDP 2020

9 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It was encouragement to the finish line not a celebration. I would have posted a link if I were claiming victory

I'd just like to remind you I run a soap deadpool and could do without the heart attack posts like that give me. Spent far longer than I'll ever admit to trying to find a obit. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

I'd just like to remind you I run a soap deadpool and could do without the heart attack posts like that give me. Spent far longer than I'll ever admit to trying to find a obit. 

Sincere apologies. With hindsight the post was perhaps poorly judged but I would still very much like to claim the third podium place.

• Haha 1

An older lady in our opera group. who sat a couple of rows in front of me at rehearsals, had cancer. Never had much to do with her and when I heard a month ago she had terminal cancer and wasn't going to last more than a couple of weeks I wasn't personally too upset. She died last week. So far so dull, I hear you say. It turns out that this lady  had an MBE, her own wikipedia page and got obits in the Washington Post, Guardian et al. Prime example of why I suck at deadpooling. Not only do i generally avoid people I've never heard of but I also fail to realize when there's a terminally ill obitable person sat about about 2 yards away from me.

In my defence had I known her better I would not have entered a personal friend in a deadpool anyway. Still, ironic though, Wouldn't have beaten Willie Thorne but died before 21st so would have got the bronze.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

An older lady in our opera group. who sat a couple of rows in front of me at rehearsals, had cancer. Never had much to do with her and when I heard a month ago she had terminal cancer and wasn't going to last more than a couple of weeks I wasn't personally too upset. She died last week. So far so dull, I hear you say. It turns out that this lady  had an MBE, her own wikipedia page and got obits in the Washington Post, Guardian et al. Prime example of why I suck at deadpooling. Not only do i generally avoid people I've never heard of but I also fail to realize when there's a terminally ill obitable person sat about about 2 yards away from me.

In my defence had I known her better I would not have entered a personal friend in a deadpool anyway. Still, ironic though, Wouldn't have beaten Willie Thorne but died before 21st so would have got the bronze.

Each to their own but I think a member of a social group I attend would fall outside of a morally acceptable pick to me. I tend to avoid picking anybody I've actually met. 

So Chorizo gets bronze then. 

On 30/06/2020 at 22:16, Joey Russ said:

So Chorizo gets bronze then. 

Yeah, but next year maybe not, eh?

Looks like my pick Tommy Palmer has died
Really thought he was a solid pick, but I guess the lesson is that hospice names can often linger for months...

I believe that's 7 dead already? Totally forgot I picked Teng-hui here.

Tom Smith - my MMMDP pick and DDP joker, on the other hand - may be the last talent standing on that list

On 13/09/2020 at 01:02, gcreptile said:

My pick Rebecca Shadowen has actually died - after 4 months of fighting Covid-19:

https://www.wkyt.com/2020/09/12/dr-rebecca-shadowen-passes-away-after-four-month-long-battle-with-covid-19/

And she gets a New York Times obit, so I didn't pick a nobody after all!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/obituaries/dr-rebecca-shadowen-covid.html

On 06/06/2020 at 15:16, drol said:

No, actually this year picks are well below the MMMDP average. Who has the best odds?

1)Tommy Palmer: cancer hospice care means his time is limited. Likely the winner.

2)Killer Tim Brooks: really on borrowed time. He's the pick everyone need to beat.

3)Derek Draper: it does not seem imminent, but still good chance

4)Tom Smith: long time terminally ill, could go at any moment

5)Bhanwarlal Meghwal: still in a coma apparently, but stable enough to make me presume nothing is imminent

The rest of the picks should need a lucky strike to score.

To my defense, Bhanwarlal Meghwal is now dead.

• Like 1

Ah, a timely revival of this thread and reminder I should start some planning.

Rest assured - last day of this month/first of next the Deathrace will start revving up again

On 10/05/2021 at 13:10, YorkshireBanker said:

Is this still on for 2021

Oh aye, I'd better do summat about it

Tomorrow, (Weds) then - I'll be back on it. 

Spade and Banana can manage the current form posts - fuck knows, they're picking low-hanging gold atm!

On 31/05/2020 at 17:17, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Neddy Smith. No news, just a hunch.

Dead.