faustus

Pink Floyd

he has schizophrenia and asperger's syndrome (like me) and hes living in cambridge. Look up Syd Barrett on google images and theres a picture of him on his bike cycling home with groceries in his bag.

expressnov2001.jpg

He must have left the groceries behind. Probably has Alzheimer's too.

Either way, the man who wrote 'I've got a bike you can ride it if you like,' is still fit enough to get around. He's not a contender in the immediate future.

Either way, the man who wrote 'I've got a bike you can ride it if you like,' is still fit enough to get around. He's not a contender in the immediate future.

Yep. he does look in good shape.

That may not fly in the subject of his hair though. :unsure:

That may not fly in the subject of his hair though. :blink:

[look out ! Millwall attempts to make knowledgeable music joke below)

His hair does look better without the wax and mandrax in it though.

He doesn't have any eyebrows either, he shaved them off at the same time he went for the Kojak look

Guest Oldtimer

yep still livin he is...and still has the biggest workin' schlong of any 60 year old acidhead ya ever saw.(and i've seen quite a few in my days hahaha) he is in REAL good shape nowadays ...guess what he got for a birthday present... :D

I just wish he would'nt do that damn crazy laugh at the WORST TIME....

oh --and by the way--- NOW he's woodcarvin...

WITH A CHAINSAW....not sure if this is a good idea...

maybe it's time to put Waters on the deathlist?

HAPPY NUDE REAR, DEATHIES!

yep still livin he is...and still has the biggest workin' schlong of any 60 year old acidhead ya ever saw.(and i've seen quite a few in my days hahaha) he is in REAL good shape nowadays ...guess what he got for a birthday present... :(

I just wish he would'nt do that damn crazy laugh at the WORST TIME....

oh --and by the way--- NOW he's woodcarvin...

WITH A CHAINSAW....not sure if this is a good idea...

maybe it's time to put Waters on the deathlist?

HAPPY NUDE REAR, DEATHIES!

Presumably you are a Cambridge resident within (last) scream(ing ) distance of Syd's flat.How do you know about his schlong length though?

It's quite ironic that in the week of the creator of LSD's 100th birthday, that its most famous victim celebrates his 60th....

Sigh......drugs and alcohol just don't mix, do they..........

You have to get out more 4 horseman. They mix but it may just be very

difficult to awake the next morning.

It's pills and alcohol that you don't mix in any way. Jimi Hendrix set a

good example of that. :(

Guest Oldtimer

well dearies...i must be careful... but don't let what you see and hear fool you... about anyone....'e ain't as bad off in ANY way as some of you might think-he's in much better shape than his pictures show...in every way.. and that is all i can say-- ... ta..

i'm assuming anyone interested will have seen the picture of him in classic rock last month, looking fit and well and carrying a NEXT bag (gratuitous plug).

roger/syd's nephew posted on a wire forum that he was healthy and happy coming up to 60, and appreciated the interest but didn't want to talk about the past. it's nice to know that someone who's had such severe problems is able of living a fairly normal life. it seems there's no more than the average 60-year old's chance of him popping off.

but he did verge on greatness before the illness got in the way. all we really have are flashes of what was possible. dave gilmour seems a decent chap, and this 'he replaced syd' lark is a bit of a simplification. he was supposed to augment barrett before the illness got too big. and very few rich people would flog a £6m house and give the money to shelter. ok, you could say he could afford it - but how else do rich people get and stay rich other than by being tight?

never mind a floyd reunion tour (they got a bit dull later on like most old bands) lets see roger waters and dave gilmour take a baseball bat t each other and slug it out while wright and mason act as seconds. they know its what they've REALLY wanted to do to each other for years!

Guest Connor

Oldtimer you are my hero, I read ever word you put, if you ever read this PLEASE email me at no_its_not_me900@hotmail.com. I just have some questions. THANKS

Sniper: Much as your suggestion of a reunion fight to the death would be entertaining - so long as Waters got what's coming to him - it strikes me that, metaphorically speaking, Gilmour's #1 solo album has done the same thing as the baseball bat. If anyone out there knows a person who parted with cash for Waters' opera, I've not met them.

If anyone out there knows a person who parted with cash for Waters' opera, I've not met them.

I did and it's shite. I prefer the album by the King of Tonga.

DDT: Your detailed and informed opinion matches everything else I've heard about Waters' operatic noodlings. Everyone I know who listened to it - all 2 of them - downloaded it off the net, considered it the biggest load of crap they'd heard in ages and deleted it.

I say: Long live Syd, rock on Gilmour, get a life Waters.

absolutely spot on. syd has had, in 'hero' terms, the best career of the lot of 'em: three great albums, then retire whilst still young and not having released any crap. (let's leave his illness to him and his privacy) long may he be happy as possible in retirement and seclusion. gilmour comes off a pretty creditable second: the new album is a bit patchy, but it has some lovely moments and his post-floyd career (including pseudo-floyd) has been unembarrassing if not brilliant. plus he's a nice bloke who flogs £6m houses and gives the money away. meanwhile, our rog has had at least three mid-life crises (hitchhiking, kaos, and the bloody opera) and is still lost without dave - note that although the wall is 'mine, all mine' rog, it's dave's guitar on confortably numb that everyone remembers... speaking of mine all mine , the baseball bat thing was ME, dammit - i don't often have good ideas, so i like to claim credit! anyway, rog is keen to be an artist, but is still an architecture student at heart. whereas syd was effortlessly, and dave is an artisan with no (it seems) illusions.

but what of nick? give him a car and he's happy. it says everything that his 'solo' album back in the 70's was him using his name to get carla bley and robert wyatt together with a good budget. top bloke!

Pulphack: A friend of mine encountered Mason as they both raced aged sports cars and reckoned him a truly decent bloke. Mason also wrote a fairly good Floyd book so he seems to have his head screwed on and a few enjoyable moments in life.

Nick Mason

Syd Barret

David (Dave) Gilmour

Richard (Rick) Wright

Roger Waters?

I only ask because it occured to me over the weekend that the Floyd are the only 60's band of any standing not to have had a member die because of substance abuse, suicide etc?

The stats by the way are-

Barret- b.1946. History of drug abuse and drug induced psychosis. Father died young (I think) and has recently had problems with his sight

Gilmour-b.1946. Overweight and possibly suffering from stress due to having umpteen children

Waters-b.1943. No noticeable health problems. Looks damn healthy in fact

Mason-b.1944. See above. Does drive at competition level though. Crash ahoy?

Wright-b.1943. History of alcohol abuse.

Barrett followed by Wright I reckon. Gilmour might be chunky but he also seems to enjoy his life and his EIGHT children so they're probably helping to keep him alive. I don't think we're in for any action in this dept in the immediate future.

that seems a fair assesment, except that yer man gilmour has yo-yo'd weight-wise over the years, and this can cause some stress on the old heart - apparently, one of the things that killed bob calvert (of hawkwind, non-rock fans) was that his weight was wildly fluctuating due to his treatment for manic depression. of course, the manic episodes didn't help, but that's why he popped off in his early forties. nonetheless, the fat man body/thin man heart and vice-versa state is quite straining.

but wouldn't it be cool if waters exploded from an excess of spleen and bile before any of them?

A fitting end for Waters would be to find himself crushed to death under the collapse of the hopelessly over-elaborate scenery of some pointlessly pretentious staging one of 'masterworks'.