faustus

Pink Floyd

Just to drag this back to Syd Barret. He has apparently gone blind.

Any particular reason why?

My mother told me that would happen to me as well.

She also said it would give me hairy palms but so far, so good... ;)

Think Mr B's eyesight probs might be linked to his diabetes.

They are: Syd's mother took responsibility for his medication but she died in 1991. Syd's own attention to detail in dosing himself with insulin hasn't been great and when he gets forgetful he lapses into comas. He has a devoted bunch - mainly family - to help him. He's had episodes of blindness as a result of irregular medication but I understood this was under control now because he was getting more care from the local hospital, ironically the same Cambridge hospital where his dad served as a respected pathologist.

I find washing my hands with 'Immac' solves that problem.

They are: Syd's mother took responsibility for his medication but she died in 1991. Syd's own attention to detail in dosing himself with insulin hasn't been great and when he gets forgetful he lapses into comas. He has a devoted bunch - mainly family - to help him. He's had episodes of blindness as a result of irregular medication but I understood this was under control now because he was getting more care from the local hospital, ironically the same Cambridge hospital where his dad served as a respected pathologist.

You seem very clued up on all matters early Flloyd. Are you an enthusistic fan?

(Excuse the formal wording but I know that , this being deathlist, if I had said "Big Fan" someone would have said "No, he is only 5" 1'" and if I had said "are you a fan?" someone would have posted "yes and here is a painting of him with his twin brother and two oriental women"

tin-fan.jpg

I find washing my hands with 'Immac' solves that problem.

Apparently it's called Veet these days. You obviously haven't needed any for a while, Mr josco ;)

Aha! So it really CAN be manly to depilate. :huh:;)

Veet. It’s the smartest way to achieve a smoothness that lasts.

Millwall: I rate them, Pure Reason Revolution and several others who drag their music into strange areas. Some of the Syd stuff is friends of friends type information. All joking aside his story - despite the tragedy - is also a source of inspiration. He's so fragile mentally that face to face encounters with the other Floyds have been known to send him spiralling into despair. He never sees his fellow Floyds but still the band make sure he's okay. David Gilmour in particular is a real saint in this department. Impressive when you consider Gilmour - in effect - replaced him and knew him least well.

Also, considering the fact that a genuine rock casualty lives and wanders amongst the public it's comforting to see that the press don't exploit him.

Guest manda
Millwall: I rate them, Pure Reason Revolution and several others who drag their music into strange areas. Some of the Syd stuff is friends of friends type information. All joking aside his story - despite the tragedy - is also a source of inspiration. He's so fragile mentally that face to face encounters with the other Floyds have been known to send him spiralling into despair. He never sees his fellow Floyds but still the band make sure he's okay. David Gilmour in particular is a real saint in this department. Impressive when you consider Gilmour - in effect - replaced him and knew him least well.

Also, considering the fact that a genuine rock casualty lives and wanders amongst the public it's comforting to see that the press don't exploit him.

Actually Gilmour knew him quite well - long before he got involved with Floyd. I'd say he knew him just a little less than Waters. Nevertheless, he has the biggest heart among them.

And to all of you idiots who don't like Floyd.. why the F**k post to this thread? In fact, why spend your lives as utterly clueless simpletons who likely have no purpose to life beyond staring at tits in a magazine.

Why buy magazines - we obviously have access to the internet. :P

Guest oldtimer

well i can't help it but i gota set thje record stright here. there is just too much out there that is wrong.Syd is not blind i will not give any pertinent info as to how i know but this is the truth as far as at least a month ago.....he isn't totally mad.. -he has some troubles with his eyesight -as much a problem with his age as his diabetes. and he will not be 59 til january 6th. he still rides his bike all around and does speak to some folks-those he doesn't feel threatened by-he is a bit odd.has some funny mannerisms.. but is not a raving lunatic as some would have you believe. he paints still regularly. when the weather is nice he works around the home.

sometimes when he's working in the yard he hums to himself... he still smokes cigarettes but not usually out in the street. he keeps his house very neat and tidy inside.everything in it's proper place . he is meticulous about his artwork.

and gets his paper every day. he does go out -he shops for food and odds and ends. . he is not the chubby bald guy anymore he is very tall and thin almost like the old days. he shaves his head.and face. he does not live in france and that crazy interview is a hoax. he does know now about the growing legions of Syd fanatics -it mazes him he doesn't get it and seems to feel it is wierd. after all he's an old guy now. :( but he knows enough to know that he must be real careful when he goes out. he still does not like thunderstorms. and if it looks like one is coming when he is outside -he will run ionto the house very quickly.

he is very self absorbed like most artists. he strums his guitar occasionally. he speaks sometimes in a somewhat unusual manner but it changes from day to day.

part of it is that he is not used to speaking to anyone very much

he is still a fast walker -especially if he senses that someone is watching him or trying to sneak up on him...and he can be kind of rude and abrupt if he thinks you are pestering him-i have seen that.

and he knows that there are people out there who will try to ambush him for a photo. and yes -he still has that stare -and you don't wanna be the recipient of it when he's pissed off -believe me. he has the most piercing hazeleyes that seem to change color depending on his mood.but they can still be beautiful. but he doesn't like to look at you directly not out of shyness (which he is) but almost as if he knows now the power of his eyes after all his years.

Schiozophrenia typically rears its ugly head in males in their early twenties-and syd was right in the classic age group for it-the drugs made it worse -and Syd was like any other rocker of the era-he really didn't think it was hurting him-and Syd never had to buy drugs they were always given to him.

he is aware of the stories about him true and false and admits to some feelings of shame about them-and he is pissed off at roger waters using his story for inspiration for all or parts of three albums. one was bad enough but three was too much. he has said that he would like to see rick wright. he felt that rick wright was the other big piece of the early sound and never got enought credit-he is ok about gilmour but doesn't see him its awkward for him ... he also has no time for Nick Mason.

he will occasionally talk about the past but only to those clsosest to him-and only when he wants to-not cool to ask him or he's liable to turn those eyes on you..

some of us are trying to encourage him to write a book to set the record straight.. he is considering it because he writes much better than he speaks. actually he writes beautifully. i can attest to that. he can be very affectionate with those he loves sometime showing flashes of "old Syd"-which are very endearing and let you know what a rascal he was! he can be very very funny. and yes he still has a charisma of sorts. it is unexplainable and has nothing to do with his looks. he knows it tho-and sems to be patient and kind when he knows someone is dranw to him and isn't going to hurt him.but he doesn't like to be touched by strangers. as a matter of fact he is odd about being touched att all. he has old his old clothes the old folyd era upstairs in a closet... they are pretty ratty but he thought he should lkeep them since some of them are really vintage and they were very expensive. and yes there is still apair of green snakeskin boots there....and here is a tidbit that is interseting/// he hinted that there might still be uh...somethings in the pockets and as thin as he is now ... some of thse clothes still fit him and he laughs about that. he doesn't dwell on his old stuff but figures some day someone will have fun looking at it. and he says some of these things with a little sparkel in his eyes so that you don't know whether he's having you on for a joke or not.

and yes i worry about what may be in those pockets and hope its true it lost its potency....... he has tapes of rehearsals in a box. but they may not play anymore he doesn't listen to them. he has some reels and cassettes also. he is more open in the evening to talking.he is very affected by changes in the blood sugar. he is trying to eat more healthy foods. he does not take drugs . and yes sometimes he has some bouts of melancholy but it doesn't last. i don't know what causes them but this is when he gets very quiet. but he seems to more and more be able to bring himself out of them. schizophrenia get better with age for some and he is one of them. he didn't say much about that latest movie to me-but he did say he liked Robyn Hitchcock doing his song Dominoes. so that is alot of stuiff to chew i want'd to make him less of a cult figure and more of ahuman for you... yes he is just a human...and has lost some of what he was as a kid... but he is still Barrett(not syd-he really doesn't answer to it.)- and still has an indefinable something..and a presence - and sometimes when he doesn't know you are looking at him you wil catch a little grin or an expression of delight over something that he thinks is cool. and it just makes you smile ... the essence is still there folks... just buried a bit further undergound where no one will ever take it away again. take care.

well i can't help it but i gota set thje record stright here. there is just too much out there that is wrong.Syd is not blind i will not give any pertinent info as to how i know but this is the truth as far as at least a month ago.....he isn't totally mad.. -he has some troubles with his eyesight -as much a problem with his age as his diabetes. and he will not be 59 til january 6th. he still rides his bike all around and does speak to some folks-those he doesn't feel threatened by-he is a bit odd.has some funny mannerisms.. but is not a raving lunatic as some would have you believe. he paints still regularly. when the weather is nice he works around the home.

sometimes when he's working in the yard he hums to himself... he still smokes cigarettes but not usually out in the street. he keeps his house very neat and tidy inside.everything in it's proper place . he is meticulous about his artwork.

and gets his paper every day. he does go out -he shops for food and odds and ends. . he is not the chubby bald guy anymore he is very tall and thin almost like the old days. he shaves his head.and face. he does not live in france and that crazy interview is a hoax. he does know now about the growing legions of Syd fanatics -it mazes him he doesn't get it and seems to feel it is wierd. after all he's an old guy now. :( but he knows enough to know that he must be real careful when he goes out. he still does not like thunderstorms. and if it looks like one is coming when he is outside -he will run ionto the house very quickly.

he is very self absorbed like most artists. he strums his guitar occasionally. he speaks sometimes in a somewhat unusual manner but it changes from day to day.

he is still a fast walker -especially if he senses that someone is watching him or trying to sneak up on him...and he can be kind of rude and abrupt if he thinks you are pestering him-i have seen that.

and he knows that there are people out there who will try to ambush him for a photo. and yes -he still has that stare -and you don't wanna be the recipient of it when he's pissed off -believe me. he has the most piercing hazeleyes that seem to change color depending on his mood.but they can still be beautiful. but he doesn't like to look at you directly not out of shyness (which he is) but almost as if he knows now the power of his eyes after all his years.

Schiozophrenia typically rears its ugly head in males in their early twenties-and syd was right in the classic age group for it-the drugs made it worse -and Syd was like any other rocker of the era-he really didn't think it was hurting him-and Syd never had to buy drugs they were always given to him.

he is aware of the stories about him true and false and admits to some feelings of shame about them-and he is pissed off at roger waters using his story for inspiration for all or parts of three albums. one was bad enough but three was too much. he has said that he would like to see rick wright. he felt that rick wright was the other big piece of the early sound and never got enought credit-he is ok about gilmour but doesn't see him its awkward for him ... he also has no time for Nick Mason.

he will occasionally talk about the past but only to those clsosest to him-and only when he wants to-not cool to ask him or he's liable to turn those eyes on you..

some of us are trying to encourage him to write a book to set the record straight.. he is considering it because he writes much better than he speaks. actually he writes beautifully. i can attest to that. he can be very affectionate with those he loves sometime showing flashes of "old Syd"-which are very endearing and let you know what a rascal he was! he can be very very funny. and yes he still has a charisma of sorts. it is unexplainable and has nothing to do with his looks. he knows it tho-and sems to be patient and kind when he knows someone is dranw to him and isn't going to hurt him.but he doesn't like to be touched by strangers. as a matter of fact he is odd about being touched att all. he has old his old clothes the old folyd era upstairs in a closet... they are pretty ratty but he thought he should lkeep them since some of them are really vintage and they were very expensive. and yes there is still apair of green snakeskin boots there....and here is a tidbit that is interseting/// he hinted that there might still be uh...somethings in the pockets and as thin as he is now ... some of thse clothes still fit him and he laughs about that. he doesn't dwell on his old stuff but figures some day someone will have fun looking at it. and he says some of these things with a little sparkel in his eyes so that you don't know whether he's having you on for a joke or not.

and yes i worry about what may be in those pockets and hope its true it lost its potency....... he has tapes of rehearsals in a box. but they may not play anymore he doesn't listen to them. he has some reels and cassettes also. he is more open in the evening to talking.he is very affected by changes in the blood sugar. he is trying to eat more healthy foods. he does not take drugs . and yes sometimes he has some bouts of melancholy but it doesn't last. i don't know what causes them but this is when he gets very quiet. but he seems to more and more be able to bring himself out of them. schizophrenia get better with age for some and he is one of them. he didn't say much about that latest movie to me-but he did say he liked Robyn Hitchcock doing his song Dominoes. so that is alot of stuiff to chew i want'd to make him less of a cult figure and more of ahuman for you... yes he is just a human...and has lost some of what he was as a kid... but he is still Barrett(not syd-he really doesn't answer to it.)- and still has an indefinable something..and a presence - and sometimes when he doesn't know you are looking at him you wil catch a little grin or an expression of delight over something that he thinks is cool. and it just makes you smile ... the essence is still there folks... just buried a bit further undergound where no one will ever take it away again. take care.

I fell asleep after paragragh 3.

Sorry

but is not a raving lunatic as some would have you believe. .

unlike some of the people who post on this website

There's this myth that Syd was a massive victim of acid. Not true. Roger Keith Barratt is a schizophrenic. That is the root of his problems - although the acid probably greatly exacerbated his condition.

I was reading some medical statistics the other day and I saw that two in every one people in this country are schizophrenic! :(

There's this myth that Syd was a massive victim of acid. Not true. Roger Keith Barratt is a schizophrenic. That is the root of his problems - although the acid probably greatly exacerbated his condition.

Wouldn't that make him a massive victim of acid? I fear he may not be the only one......

Roger, sorry I mean Syd, how many times have I told you about getting involved with the nutters out there who're always banging on about the state of your life? If you start mixing it with these people no good will come of it.

So don't post the likes of:

and gets his paper every day. he does go out -he shops for food and odds and ends. . he is not the chubby bald guy anymore he is very tall and thin almost like the old days. he shaves his head.and face. he does not live in france and that crazy interview is a hoax. he does know now about the growing legions of Syd fanatics -it mazes him he doesn't get it and seems to feel it is wierd. after all he's an old guy now.  but he knows enough to know that he must be real careful when he goes out. he still does not like thunderstorms. and if it looks like one is coming when he is outside -he will run ionto the house very quickly.

Again, there's a good former rock star.

Sorry

Wow, you got to paragraph 3? I'm impressed. I barely made it past word 3.

One of the greatest things I've learned is that brevity can make all the difference...

...that and "don't drink the paint in the garage."

"don't drink the paint in the garage."

Early Floyd b-side wasn't it?

well i can't help it but i gota set thje record stright here. there is just too much out there that is wrong.Syd is not blind  i will not give any pertinent info as to how i know but this is the truth as far as at least a month ago.....he isn't totally mad.. -he has some troubles with his eyesight -as much a problem with his age as his diabetes. and he will not be 59 til january 6th. he still rides his bike all around and does speak to some folks-those he doesn't feel threatened by-he is a bit odd.has some funny mannerisms.. but is not a raving lunatic as some would have you believe. he paints still regularly. when the weather is nice he works around the home.

sometimes when he's working in the yard he hums to himself...  he still smokes cigarettes  but not usually out in the street. he keeps his house very neat and tidy inside.everything in it's proper place . he is meticulous about his artwork.

and gets his paper every day. he does go out -he shops for food and odds and ends. . he is not the chubby bald guy anymore he is very tall and thin almost like the old days. he shaves his head.and face. he does not live in france and that crazy interview is a hoax.  he does know now about the growing legions of Syd fanatics -it mazes him he doesn't get it and seems to feel it is wierd. after all he's an old guy now. :)  but he knows enough to know that he must be real careful when he goes out. he still does not like thunderstorms. and if it looks like one is coming when he is outside -he will run ionto the house very quickly.

he is still a fast walker -especially if he senses that someone is watching him or trying to sneak up on him...and he can be kind of rude  and abrupt if he thinks you are pestering him-i have seen that.

and he knows that there are people out there who will try to ambush him for a photo.  and yes -he still has that stare -and you don't wanna be the recipient of it when he's pissed off -believe me. he has the most piercing hazeleyes that seem to change color depending on his mood.but they can still be beautiful. but he doesn't like to look at you directly not out of shyness (which he is) but almost as if he knows now the power of his eyes after all his years.

he is aware of the stories about him true and false and admits to some feelings of shame about them-and he is pissed off at roger waters using his story for inspiration for all or parts of three albums. one was bad  enough but three was too much. he has said that he would like to see rick wright. he felt that rick wright was the other big piece of the early sound and never got enought credit-he is ok about gilmour but doesn't see him its awkward for him ... he also has no time for Nick Mason.

some of us are trying to encourage him to write a book to set the record straight.. he is considering it because he writes much better than he speaks. actually he writes beautifully. i can attest to that. he can be very affectionate with those he loves sometime showing  flashes of "old Syd"-which are very endearing and let you know what a rascal he was! he can be very very funny. and yes he still has a charisma of sorts. it is unexplainable and has nothing to do with his looks. he knows it tho-and sems to be patient and kind when he knows someone is dranw to him and isn't going to hurt him.but he doesn't like to be touched by strangers. as a matter of fact he is odd about being touched att all. he has old his old clothes the old folyd era upstairs in a closet... they are pretty ratty but he thought he should lkeep them since some of them are really vintage and they were very expensive. and yes there is still apair of green snakeskin boots there....and here is a tidbit that is interseting/// he hinted that there might still be uh...somethings in the pockets and as thin as he is now ... some of thse clothes still fit him and he laughs about that. he doesn't dwell on his old stuff but figures some day someone will have fun looking at it. and he says some of these things with a little sparkel in his eyes so that you don't know whether he's having you on for a joke or not.

and yes i worry about what may be in those pockets and hope its true it lost its potency....... he has tapes of rehearsals in a box. but they may not play  anymore he doesn't listen to them. he has some reels and cassettes also. he is more open in the evening to talking.he is very affected by changes in the blood sugar.  he is trying to eat more healthy foods.  he does not take drugs . and yes sometimes he has some bouts of melancholy but it doesn't last. i don't know what causes them but this is when he gets very quiet. but he seems to more and more be able to bring himself out of them. schizophrenia get better with age for some and he is one of them. he didn't say much about that latest movie to me-but he did say he liked Robyn Hitchcock doing his song Dominoes. so that is alot of stuiff to chew i want'd to make him less of a cult figure and more of ahuman for you... yes he is just a human...and has lost some of what he was as a kid... but he is still Barrett(not syd-he really doesn't answer to it.)- and still has an indefinable something..and a presence - and sometimes when he doesn't know you are looking at him you wil catch a little grin or an expression of delight over something that he thinks is cool. and it just makes you smile ... the essence is still there folks... just buried a bit further undergound where no one will ever take it away again. take care.

Sorry

I disagree.

Thank you "oldtimer" for a fascinating but of posting. Do feel free to come back.

Guest Oldtimer

Millwall===at least one has something positve to say...

just thought while you were takingn bets on wheterhor not Barrett will keelover son- it wouyld be nice to understand he's areal perosn and who hahahahaha by the way-makes more money than ANY of us-for work he accomplished by the time he was 24.. Rog makes more samolians before urinates in the mornng than you do all week! yeah wheil we all have to workd and swet and eat crap ... he can sit ion the house and talk to the people on his ceiling if he wants to....

and all he has to do all day is ....NOTHING!!!! only whatever he damn well pleases hahaha he's stress free- his home if paid for -he'll never spend all his money and

because his life ois pretty much ideal doe an artist - he will probabaly outlive most of us... and guess what-people STILL love him hahaha don't that just piss ya off? :lol:

and funny how everyone reprinted it ..innit?

Guest oldtimer

gawd lotsa typos in that bit- the damn grimbles are on my keyboard again...

just thought while you were takingn bets on wheterhor not Barrett will keelover son- it wouyld be nice to understand he's areal perosn and who hahahahaha by the way-makes more money than ANY of us-for work he accomplished by the time he was 24.. Rog makes more samolians before urinates in the mornng  than you do all week! yeah wheil we all have to workd and swet and eat crap ... he can sit ion the house and talk to the people on his ceiling if he wants to....

and all he has to do all day is ....NOTHING!!!! only whatever he damn well pleases hahaha  he's stress free- his home if paid for -he'll never spend all his money and

because his life ois pretty much ideal doe an artist - he will probabaly outlive most of us... and guess what-people STILL love him hahaha don't that just piss ya off?  :lol:

Strange really as the Pink Floyd music improved beyond recognition after Syd was turfed out.

just thought while you were takingn bets on wheterhor not Barrett will keelover son- it wouyld be nice to understand he's areal perosn and who hahahahaha by the way-makes more money than ANY of us-for work he accomplished by the time he was 24.. Rog makes more samolians before urinates in the mornng  than you do all week! yeah wheil we all have to workd and swet and eat crap ... he can sit ion the house and talk to the people on his ceiling if he wants to....

and all he has to do all day is ....NOTHING!!!! only whatever he damn well pleases hahaha  he's stress free- his home if paid for -he'll never spend all his money and

because his life ois pretty much ideal doe an artist - he will probabaly outlive most of us... and guess what-people STILL love him hahaha don't that just piss ya off?  ;)

Strange really as the Pink Floyd music improved beyond recognition after Syd was turfed out.

No it didn't.

Thank you "oldtimer" (work on the typing a bit though).

Guest oldtimer

just a quick visit...back to the grinmd... this gaddamn guitar doesn't play itself and it ain't earnin' 's keep-

some of us still gotta actually PLAY for a livin' grumble bitch gripe ;) ... s'long.

Guest Guest

he has schizophrenia and asperger's syndrome (like me) and hes living in cambridge. Look up Syd Barrett on google images and theres a picture of him on his bike cycling home with groceries in his bag.