faustus

Pink Floyd

TLC - interestingly (or perhaps not coincidently) you picked 1984 - the year that Aerosmith got back together after their half-decade hiatus and, in my mind, they produced some quality music for the next two decades or so that I felt was at least on par with their older stuff.

Or am I the odd man out on that?

Also, I agree with BHB on The Stones - certainly compared to many of the others you've mentioned, they've done well for themselves.

I shall briefly take the fingers out of my ears to type my reply here...

Anyone who favourably compares the Stones since Ron 'Diamond Geezer' Wood joined with when they had Mick Taylor or Brian Jones in the band is just wrong, and I'm sure NASA have a file proving I'm right somewhere. :unsure: CP & BHB (and loads of others I imagine), we'll have to agree to disagree.

But I'm still right. ;)

I generally agree with TLC on the musical skills of the Stones since Ron Wood joined the band. To give them some credit I think Some Girls is a great album, and Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You each had a couple of decent songs. Plus they were cranking out nearly record a year then, and touring, so it's not surprising song quality suffered. The less said about Undercover of the Night and its successors the better. But virtually all musicians just run out of great songs after x number of years, and when you look at the Stones' catalogue over 4+ decades there are 50 or so great or very good tunes that just about everyone knows.

I'd contend that what Ron Wood brought to the band wasn't song writing or even particularly great guitar playing, but longevity. He acts as a buffer between Mick and Keith, puts up with or largely ignores their tiffs, and just carries on doing what he does best - jamming with the Stones. I bet he can still hardly believe he's in the band. Brian Jones was way too tortured a soul for a group with two other huge egos, and Mick Taylor was too much of a wimp. Woodie's perfect - enjoys his drink and drugs, but isn't going to kill or incapacitate himself with 'em, no ego, and loves the rock star lifestyle (unlike that miserable cradle robbing git Bill Wyman ).

Good point about The Grateful Dead; No sell out there either.

CSNY READY SUMMER TOUR

With NEIL YOUNG's new political protest album hitting his Web site on Friday, CROSBY, STILLS, NASH AND YOUNG have announced a three-month, twenty-nine-city North American tour, to begin July 6th in Philadelphia. Tagged Freedom of Speech 06', the outing will showcase the group's work together, favorites from the members' solo careers, and songs off Young's forthcoming "Living With War." There will be no opening act. This is the group's third tour since 2000, when they reunited after more than twenty-five years apart. Tickets go on sale for select dates this weekend, with a special pre-sale for fan club members to be announced soon. Additional dates will be announced in the coming weeks.

Re the oldies are all crap these days debate. Looks like Neil Young will use this tour to hammer George Bush as much as he can. The scientific equation should read 'everyone who was famous in the 60s and 70s has gone crap except those we thought were too quirky to last.'

Whilst we're on the subject - Scott Walker - sophisticated 'pop' star then, fearless pusher of artistic boundaries in the last twenty years. Rock on!

Guest tz

prick - you are unfunny, shallow, mis-informed and obviously have no life of your own. Be careful

and who, in the last nine pages, are you referring to? if you're going to insult someone (and your phrasing suggests you have one particular poster in mind) it does help if you actually name the object of your affections. as for the specific charges - eh? lots of interesting AND informed debate going on in there.

speaking of which - here's something that's bothered me on and off (i have no life, ok?) since this thread was really active. we've been discussing how some bands/artists 'lose form' as they age. but what about those that were crap to begin with? for instance, i've always loathed uriah heep - but are they more sh*t now that they wer in 1975? how can i judge?

obviously i can't, as i'm shallow and ill-informed. damn! he was right...

A good point Pulphack and one surprisingly ignored by the music press for years. Uriah Heep are one of a few sh*t bands who've arguably got better over the years. Saw them live a few years ago and thought them a decent show, just a shame they were playing their own songs!

It's also worth noting that several bands or acts who churned out chart fodder have over the years perfected good stage shows. Got a freebie into a Suzi Quatro gig a few years ago expecting nowt much and was massively impressed at a rockin' little show. Doubt she'll trouble music historians of the future any more than will Uriah Heep.

TZ, I'm as confused as Pulphack, the obvious candidates for your ire would be myself because your post follows mine or TLC who seems to have made the most effort to inject a little humour herabouts. Either way, if you feel that strongly may I suggest dropping into some other threads on this site, the quality of posting and humour on those is likely to provide a massive adrenalin rush for your anger management problem.

I call myself the Henry Kissinger of Pink Floyd! It would be down to me, I guess to sort it all out."

Henry Kissenger!!!!!

Does the man realise what he's saying?

of course he doesn't - he's a drummer.

next thing you know, he'll be saying uriah heep have got better over the years...

Saw this on b3ta thougfht it was worth putting here,

You Tube video of "See Emily Play"

I wonder where it was filmed.

Somewhere in Belgium apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_Emily_Play

Also note the big Merc and the Citroen. The cricket is a red herring.

Yes - Syd Barrett

You are right. Syd Barrett, former lead singer of Pink Floyd, has died at age 60 from diabetes.

Syd Barrett dies

Guest iain

Syd Barret has died at 60.He was as you probably know the founder and lead singer of Pink Floyd and an iconic figure in the 60s.

[Moved from Near Misses For 2006 thread - ff]

Edited by football_fan

That's a bit of a surprise, I thought he'd have a few more years left in him, just goes to show that diabetes can cause all sorts complications.

Farewell Syd. :)

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

You were caught on the cross fire of childhood and stardom,

blown on the steel breeze.

Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger,

you legend, you martyr, and shine!

I presume he's now Comfortably Numb, or did he forget to Breathe?

:)

Syd Barret has died at 60.He was as you probably know the founder and lead singer of Pink Floyd and an iconic figure in the 60s.

I think I need to steer clear of my record collection, I was listening to his album The Madcap Laughs at the weekend.

Oh well in for a penny, in for a pound *slides out the Max Bygraves record from its sleeve with a sly grin*

I wonder, I just wonder.....

Yep, this is indeed a shame.

Another musical legend departs. I wonder if any of the re-releases (bound to be, aren't there?) will make a significant dent in the top ten? Make a nice change to have some quality nestled amongst the kid's crap of today.

My god, I really am turning into my dad. This is a situation I really must address.

Let us just hope that Roger Waters hangs around for a long time yet and stops writing bloody opera.

I know where Syd Barrett lives. Actually I think he is about to change address.

I'm quite upset by this. I might have to take the LSD tab I had been saving for Hoffman's demise. :)

Let us just hope that Roger Waters hangs around for a long time yet and stops writing bloody opera.

I know where Syd Barrett lives. Actually I think he is about to change address.

Given the fact that Barrett has died, I think he'll be changing address to the local crematorium

Sad about this, the one real positive is that the protection around him was so good that his death was kept from public knowledge for a couple of days. Given how ill he was for so long it's a tribute to the love and care he received that he managed to survive without becoming a focus of media attention or an unofficial tourist attraction in Cambridge.

RIP syd, as you didn't get much peace in life, it seems. not inside your head, anyway.

an unexpected outcome to this debate, though...

I could barely believe it when I saw it on CNN this morning - what a shocker.

Pink Floyd is the favourite band of my housemate who correctly predicted Ken Lay's demise. Bet he didn't see that one coming.