time

John Edrich

For the want of something better to do, I was googling old cricketers. Found out that John Edrich (former Surrey and England batsman) was given 7 years to live back in 2000 and is still batt(l)ing away.

:unsure:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket...mia-712180.html

The John Edrich thread

Thinking of old cricketers, what about the twins Alec & Eric bedser ? Both must be past 90 years old now?

Alec will be 92 on July 4th, by which time Eric will have been dead over four years.

For what it's worth. this guy is next

Guest M Foot

Really?

Try again~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~`might I suggest a sure thing like oh, say, Michael Caine?

There doesn't seem to be any update on this guy's health since he was first diagnosed...trying to work out if he's worth a DDP pick but it seems as if he could carry on for a while yet, does anyone think he's worthing even keeping on the Deathlist next year?

Currently 5th page on a Google search for "John Edrich"

Guest Guest

I know John well and whilst I'm not at liberty to disclose any information about his health, I can say with a large degree of comfort that his placement on your list is pointless for the foreseeable future. Please accept my apologies.

I know John well and whilst I'm not at liberty to disclose any information about his health, I can say with a large degree of comfort that his placement on your list is pointless for the foreseeable future. Please accept my apologies.

Considering he's still 'not out' nearly 11 years after he was diagnosed as only having 7 years to live, you may well be right

Any hint as to when it would be worth putting him on in the future?

As long as there are house fires, there is always a chance...

As long as there are house fires, there is always a chance...

... though there may be another 14 years to wait...

Guest Ramsfans

Guest Cricketfan

That is really good news John was my hero growing up and remained my inspiration playing cricket for many many years. Give him our best really remember his 310 for England

Bloody hero this man, along with Brian Close.

While whingeing Boycott was in self-imposed exile ( a lot of very good fast bowlers around at the time!), these men stood up to rocket-paced Michael Holding at his fastest and didn't flinch.

Hope the guy with the scythe takes boring Boycs and gives Edders a bit longer.

Oddest DL return in some time. This over Nicholas Parsons?

• Like 1

John who now?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, roaming_comrade said:

John who now?

England Test cricketer, a familiar name in my childhood.  Had cancer some years ago, but said to have hit it for six with mistletoe treatment.

11 minutes ago, msc said:

Oddest DL return in some time. This over Nicholas Parsons?

Aye looking over the thread history it does look a tad curious

But, who knows - maybe  the committee know more than they're letting on

15 hours ago, Toast said:

England Test cricketer, a familiar name in my childhood.  Had cancer some years ago, but said to have hit it for six with mistletoe treatment.

Don't you mean he kissed it goodbye.

A relative of mine who was diagnosed with cancer in the 1990s started having the mistletoe injections.  It was a very new treatment then.  Sadly the nearest place where it was available was a couple of hours drive away, and he wasn't well enough to go more than a couple of times.  What might have been :(