msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

1817608_2d35d812.jpg

Welcome to Derby, where you'll never leave...

Somehow its December, which means it is now time to start drawing up your teams for the 26th edition of one of the oldest running deadpools in the world. That's right, the Derby Dead Pool, or DDP as its also known. As with 2020, the 2021 DDP will be co-hosted by the team of msc, @Grim Up North and @gcreptile.

The emails are going out (apologies again for any gremlins), and so its only now to say the DDP is open for entries!

RULES

For the hard of reading, a reminder of the four rule changes

1. DONT PICK FFBI PEOPLE. Those who ignore this will be mocked mercilessly.

2. UNIQUE PICKS are now worth 4 points instead of the old 3, to reward those who score with knowledge or punts on notables everyone else ignores.

3. THEME TEAMS need to be a theme team ie they cant be "all men" or "all DDP survivors from last years top ten".  Esoteric is OK, taking the piss is not.

4. QUALIFYING OBITS - All from 2020 plus Last Word, Daily Record, Scottish and Sunday papers, STV, UTV, Economist, UK Yahoo, Radio Times, Economist, City AM and The Independent.

Otherwise, good luck one and all!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I shall be making my DDP debut for ‘21. I’m sure it’ll be a thoroughly damaging experience.

I’m gradually compiling a team and trying desperately not to get distracted by coming up with a witty team name.

Cheers hosts!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I shall be making my DDP debut for ‘21. I’m sure it’ll be a thoroughly damaging experience.

I’m gradually compiling a team and trying desperately not to get distracted by coming up with a witty team name.

Cheers hosts!

tbh I forgot about a team name right till the sending email bit and just came up with Pan Breed (ie "deid"!) on the spur. 9 years later...

Enjoy. It will only be damaging if you pick 20 DQ'd Mirror sob stories, I promise.

Please don't pick 20 DQ'd Mirror sob stories...

• Like 1

My email says this, which I assume to be a copy/paste error?

Any person considered "missing in action" or not traced as of 01/01/2019 can only score points if their death is confirmed as happening in 2019 and not before, so don’t bother picking Jimmy Hoffa.

• Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, Toast said:

Any person considered "missing in action" or not traced as of 01/01/2019 can only score points if their death is confirmed as happening in 2019 and not before, so don’t bother picking Jimmy Hoffa.

Yes, blame the editor. :blush:

For 2019, read 2021. I thought I'd caught most of those!

40 minutes ago, Toast said:

oh shit - 650 wrong emails - msc edited, I proof read - piss poor effort but I’m not sending them all again!

• Haha 1

Does the famous for being ill rule apply to people who are solely famous for being someones relative?Also does it apply if someone is notable because they have a disease but became an activist columnist campaigner writer etc in response to becoming ill?I get the point of some bloke in the mirror having an article that says "Brave Dads last xmas with children before he succumbs to  pancreatic cancer" picks but where is the line on those who become notable because of their illness and will get substantial media coverage based on what they did since becoming terminally ill and dying.

Pretty sure your Pete Frates and Kate Granger’s are still eligible to be picked, just that most of the other FFBI are rightfully eliminated 

• Like 1

Cheers apologies just saw the email which explains it better.Still not sure about family members though.

17 minutes ago, Sean said:

Does the famous for being ill rule apply to people who are solely famous for being someones relative?Also does it apply if someone is notable because they have a disease but became an activist columnist campaigner writer etc in response to becoming ill?I get the point of some bloke in the mirror having an article that says "Brave Dads last xmas with children before he succumbs to  pancreatic cancer" picks but where is the line on those who become notable because of their illness and will get substantial media coverage based on what they did since becoming terminally ill and dying.

Allow this guide to help:

1. Are they notable for anything other than being ill, at least at a local level? GOOD TO GO.

2. If not, they mostly notable for being ill? GO TO QUESTION 4

3. Are they not notable at all? REJECT

4. Have they achieved anything of note in spite of their illness? (ie did they raise shitloads for charity ala Jane Tomlinson, or now work for the BBC ala Deborah James, or got an OBE for their work ala Kate Granger, or helped topple a government ala Vicky Phelan). OK FOR NOW

5. Have they failed Questions 1, 3 and or 4, and thus aren’t in the slightest bit famous, even in some godforsaken heap like Detroit or Glasgow? REJECT

6. Are they known solely for articles in The Mirror or the Sun or what not saying “Terminally ill young mother faces final Christmas” or words to that extent? GONNAE NO DO THAT.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Cheers apologies just saw the email which explains it better.Still not sure about family members though.

Family wasn't really covered but we'd ask some common sense to come in there ie Richard Williams or the Kardashian clan or someone reasonable known is fine, but someone's hitherto unknown sibling or great granny who winds up in a hospice, maybe look to another pick. (We're spoilt for choice as it is.)

As with any rule, the 2022 Cmme (which I wont be a member of) can tweak any bits of the rules that have piss taking. (See the stricter theme team league...)

Just got the email. Lucky Greta Thunberg escapes getting picked since her 18th birthday is January 3.

• Like 2

Submitted. Can't find my email though. Probably because I changed it. :D

3 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

Submitted. Can't find my email though. Probably because I changed it. :D

Crikey mate bit early.What if some A lister announces they have  stage 4 pancreatic cancer and is admitted to hospital with COVID this month?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

Crikey mate bit early.What if some A lister announces they have  stage 4 pancreatic cancer and is admitted to hospital with COVID this month?

Some people like to submit much earlier. In fact I believe our likely champion submitted his list on the 29th...

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Some people like to submit much earlier. In fact I believe our likely champion submitted his list on the 29th...

I did I believe in 2015 and was my worst year on record.Not that I think early submission made a difference.Last year I got screwed by the news about John Lewis being announced the next day.Am tempted to do an early submission though as my longlist is annoying me at this point.Plus my theme teams are such failures that it wouldn`t make much difference.Each to their own.

I was being sarcastic in part

I don't see the emails this side of Jan 1st, but I'll be submitting my team on Boxing Day, same as last year. And a copy will go to Willz in case someone complains their unique hopes were actually widely viewable on Google 3 months previously!

I am tempted to just send tonight.One question before though.If 4 of my main team die and run out of subs can I submit others?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sean said:

Got bored, said fuck it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

Got bored, said fuck it.

Am debating the same conundrum.I know I will never win so deciding whether to just throw my cards in early

• Like 1

23 hours ago, msc said:

4. Have they achieved anything of note in spite of their illness? (ie did they raise shitloads for charity ala Jane Tomlinson, or now work for the BBC ala Deborah James, or got an OBE for their work ala Kate Granger, or helped topple a government ala Vicky Phelan). OK FOR NOW

Out of curiosity, what government did Vicky Phelan help topple?

20 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Out of curiosity, what government did Vicky Phelan help topple?

Its a facetious reference to Varadkar. :D

In short it means if your campaigning has become so renowned you are referred to worldwide - Phelan for example was on CNN in 2018. But folk like that are incredible rare. I suppose a 2021 example is Ady Barkan who has noterity internationally now for his campaigning (aided by Biden support). Whereas Stand up 2 Cancer campaigner Cameron Patel was only really known around Leicester. And is dead, which is another bad reason to pick them.

2 hours ago, msc said:

Its a facetious reference to Varadkar. :D

In short it means if your campaigning has become so renowned you are referred to worldwide - Phelan for example was on CNN in 2018. But folk like that are incredible rare. I suppose a 2021 example is Ady Barkan who has noterity internationally now for his campaigning (aided by Biden support). Whereas Stand up 2 Cancer campaigner Cameron Patel was only really known around Leicester. And is dead, which is another bad reason to pick them.

Barkan was on Time`s Most Influential 100 people I think.