dimreaper

18. Patricia Routledge

I hope this doesn't curse Patricia Routledge but she looks relatively ok for her age despite the wheelchair 

Can someone explain who si who on the photo ? I Absolutely don’t know any of these women except Routledge whom I search prior to her addition to deathlist 

edit : no need to tell me who Camilla is in the picture though ;)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Virginia McKenna looks like she has sight issues. There is another pic of the dames on the Daily Mail website with Judi Dench as well. 

I was just going to say that Judi Dench was a notable absence from the picture, even moreso when considering the celebration in question. Glad to know she was there.

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Can someone explain who si who on the photo ? I Absolutely don’t know any of these women except Routledge whom I search prior to her addition to deathlist 

edit : no need to tell me who Camilla is in the picture though ;)  

Back row: Dame Joanna Lumley, Baroness Floella Benjamin, Dame Twiggy, Dame Harriet Walter, Dame Penelope Wilton and Dame Maureen Lipman.

Front row: Dame Virginia McKenna, Dame Sian Phillips, Queen Camilla, Dame Vanessa Redgrave, Dame Penelope Keith, Dame Patricia Routledge.

Almost all notable actresses of stage and screen. Floella Benjamin more known as a children's television presenter and Twiggy was a famous model in the 1960s. If you're familiar with British television and films, you'll have seen most of these, even if you didn't realise it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Maggie Smith and Joan Collins are notably missing. Collins is fine. I actually saw her recently. No idea about Maggie Smith.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Maggie Smith and Joan Collins are notably missing. Collins is fine. I actually saw her recently. No idea about Maggie Smith.

I wouldn't read too much into any absences, there was a similar image last year with different Dames, I think Collins was in that one and so was Eileen Atkins and Shelia Hancock, so I'd guess it's just who's available at the time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I was just going to say that Judi Dench was a notable absence from the picture, even moreso when considering the celebration in question. Glad to know she was there.

She looks fine in the images on the Daily Mail website. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Judi performed an extract of Shakespeare as well - she seems in fine health bar her sight issues. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Maggie Smith has a long association with performing Shakespeare as well which was the whole purpose of the evening. 

• Like 1

Judi Denchs memory still works brilliantly and she's a conversationalist, but going very blind and prone to falls. Her family are keeping more of a closer eye on her these days. Joan Plowright is iirc completely blind.

Front row: Dame Virginia McKenna, Dame Sian Phillips, Queen Camilla, Dame Vanessa Redgrave, Dame Penelope Keith, Dame Patricia Routledge.

Virginia McKenna looks great for her age. Ditto the great Sian Phillips.

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Isn't Maggie Smith unwell? There's been rumours for a while and I'm sure someone confirmed it recently, unless my memory cheats? (It frequently does!)

• Like 1

Eileen Atkins last I heard was still a regular visitor to her frail best friend Jean Marsh.

• Like 2

image.png.f30dcc01d96da17fecb9bf802a0efa17.png

Just for completion, the BBC article has the same photo with added Judi Dench - maybe she went to the loo... :rolleyes:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Eileen Atkins last I heard was still a regular visitor to her frail best friend Jean Marsh.

Eileen Atkins was still on stage last year. You have to be fairly fit to get insurance for stage work.
Through she wasn’t at the premiere this week for her new film. 

13 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Yep.

Routledge looks better to me than Virginia McKenna does, although both are doing very well for their ages.

Sian Phillips looks in very fine fettle.

Agreed, they've all aged gracefully.

11 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Back row: Dame Joanna Lumley, Baroness Floella Benjamin, Dame Twiggy, Dame Harriet Walter, Dame Penelope Wilton and Dame Maureen Lipman.

Almost all notable actresses of stage and screen. Floella Benjamin more known as a children's television presenter and Twiggy was a famous model in the 1960s. If you're familiar with British television and films, you'll have seen most of these, even if you didn't realise it.

Of course I knew Lumley, Twiggy, Redgrave and Philips but couldn’t recognize them (except Lumley). Redgrave looks the frailest of them all… 

50 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Of course I knew Lumley, Twiggy, Redgrave and Philips but couldn’t recognize them (except Lumley). Redgrave looks the frailest of them all… 

None of them look at death's door even Redgrave. I know she's a former model but Twiggy in particular looks amazing for her age. 

Liz Truss may schedule a meeting with one or more of them. Nothing is certain in that regard! ;)

Loads of birfday messages mean she is trending on the MuskX.

Had a bit of a quiver when I saw that, mind you.

On 14/02/2024 at 21:08, Ulitzer95 said:

Dame Joan Plowright as well, although I don't think she has made any appearances in some time and has eye sight problems.

• Like 2

On 15/02/2024 at 01:32, RoverAndOut said:

How many of them will outlive Camilla?

4 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

Dame Joan Plowright as well, although I don't think she has made any appearances in some time and has eye sight problems.

She retired in 2014, as far as I have read, she is blind

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

How many of them will outlive Camilla?

In age order: 

Patricia Routledge - 95

Virginia McKenna- 92

Sian Phillips - 90

Vanessa Redgrave - 87

Penelope Keith - 83

Joanna Lumley - 77

Penelope Wilton - 77

Maureen Lipman - 77

Queen Camilla - 76

Floella Benjamin - 74

Twiggy -74

Harriet Walter - 73

So only 3 younger than HM, and all 3 seem pretty sprightly, I'd say everyone up to Penelope Keith has a chance - could Camilla cop it in the next decade and could Sian Phillips make it to 100? She seems the most likely of the top 4 in my eyes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

In age order: 

Patricia Routledge - 95

Virginia McKenna- 92

Sian Phillips - 90

Vanessa Redgrave - 87

Penelope Keith - 83

Joanna Lumley - 77

Penelope Wilton - 77

Maureen Lipman - 77

Queen Camilla - 76

Floella Benjamin - 74

Twiggy -74

Harriet Walter - 73

So only 3 younger than HM, and all 3 seem pretty sprightly, I'd say everyone up to Penelope Keith has a chance - could Camilla cop it in the next decade and could Sian Phillips make it to 100? She seems the most likely of the top 4 in my eyes.

I think it will be between Twiggy and Floella to be the last Dame standing from that team

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think it will be between Twiggy and Floella to be the last Dame standing from that team

Twiggy does look amazing for her age.  She, Benjamin and Walter could all pass for ten years younger than they actually are. 

• Like 1