The Old Crem

How’s Your 2022 Shortlist going?

Research for my 1986 TOTP Theme Team is finished. Going to compile this tomorrow - and for the first time I'm not convinced some of my starting line up will make the start gate.

That will allow me to complete my line up for my main team. As previously, comedy team will write itself.

We are into the worst period where you've waited all year and nobody moves on, then there's a flurry at the end. Some big names are falling already.

• Like 5

On 13/11/2021 at 21:21, YoungWillz said:

Research for my 1986 TOTP Theme Team is finished. Going to compile this tomorrow - and for the first time I'm not convinced some of my starting line up will make the start gate.

That will allow me to complete my line up for my main team. As previously, comedy team will write itself.

We are into the worst period where you've waited all year and nobody moves on, then there's a flurry at the end. Some big names are falling already.

I'd like to say that 100 per cent of my teams I set out a couple of weeks ago are still alive.

Wish I was as good at prophecy as above though...

14 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I keep debating two picks in particular. 

Fascinating.

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

Fascinating.

I mean the rest of my team is nearly decided but there are two people I am not sure if to put in or not. 

On 13/11/2021 at 21:21, YoungWillz said:

I always look forward to the TOTP theme team.

Actually, my first theme team is in already, so I don't need to worry if there was room for Jon Laurimore. (Ahem)

The main team, well, it's suffering a shortlist deficit. More folk have died since October than been replaced. At least Jimmy Carter is there if needed!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I always look forward to the TOTP theme team.

Actually, my first theme team is in already, so I don't need to worry if there was room for Jon Laurimore. (Ahem)

The main team, well, it's suffering a shortlist deficit. More folk have died since October than been replaced. At least Jimmy Carter is there if needed!

There does seem to be less people revealing that their seriously I’ll at the moment. Not even many notable enough to get a QO or two but not widespread coverage about. 

On 30/11/2021 at 15:41, YoungWillz said:

I'd like to say that 100 per cent of my teams I set out a couple of weeks ago are still alive.

Wish I was as good at prophecy as above though...

With Antony Sher's death - I can no longer say the above.

My secondary name is going in.

Day or so maybe before I submit?

• Like 1

@YoungWillz ever get a daft idea? 

:lol:

(It amused me but not enough to sacrifice 2 spots that would otherwise go to forgotten old stars to use it!)

• Like 1

Nearly completed my shortlists Friday evening  but there was some very tricky difficult decisions  between deciding which old favourites  I was going to keep the faith with and allowing enough new names onto my teams to keep them fresh and interesting. 

I was halfway through deciding which of the last of the names to keep and drop. I decided I couldn't give up an the Duchess of Grafton aged 101 so kept her and ditched another cherished name only for the Duchess of Gratons death to be announced the next day. 

So in the hope of avoiding  having to take more difficult  decisions  I have decided to wait about  nine days and hope mother nature makes things easier  for me again and frees up some space as the Duchesses  death enabled me to keep a favourite.

• Like 1

My teams are in, @Grim Up North, hope you get them.

As stated on the Dropped Dead Dole thread, my main team needs first male sub put in.

All will be revealed early January, assuming no more decide to do the winter shuffle off this mortal coil. It's Greville Janner and June Whitfield all over again!! :facepalm:

Just now, YoungWillz said:

My teams are in, @Grim Up North, hope you get them.

As stated on the Dropped Dead Dole thread, my main team needs first male sub put in.

All will be revealed early January, assuming no more decide to do the winter shuffle off this mortal coil. It's Greville Janner and June Whitfield all over again!! :facepalm:

I mean, theres a reason I've got Jimmy Carter out there doing his warm up just in case he needs to make the starting lineup! 

• Haha 2

I've pruned several entries from my list - a few deaths, one getting the all-clear for an illness, and another seemingly looking a lot better than they did a few months back. I've added a few more and still have 45 to work through.

Still on the list are:

Someone who may have died last year - the only evidence being a story on a poor quality local news site, which doesn't cite the date of death.

Someone whose plight I spotted on local TV news earlier this year. I'm debating whether they'll QO, despite being notable for two things, so not sure whether to enter them or not.

A couple of overseas personalities who have even less chance of getting a QO.

A few hunches based on a slowdown of activity, which may simply be due to avoiding COVID-19.

And finally another TT racer - although will the races go ahead this year?

My dead pooling research has been far more laxed this time, so my teams would probably be about 90 - 95% public names this time around. 
I don’t know the full extent on how much I’m gonna enter in this upcoming year, though it’ll still be more than the DDP and Alt Obits…

My research has been so fucking slack this year, and I haven't got much time off over Christmas to make up for that. The Drive for Five looks like being delayed another year. Although I did come across a 100% definite death, 40% possible QO yesterday which I'm umm-ing and err-ing on ("notable" rather than "famous" within their field, but he's the guy behind [deleted], which has a passionate if niche fanbase online).

I introduce you to the gold standard of deadpool advent.

Step 1 - "Oh brilliant, I've found a proper A lister off the radar who is dying and will get an obit. Joker time!"

Step 2 - "OK, hang on, maybe they aren't as famous as I thought."

Step 3 - "OK, maybe that obit isn't as guaranteed as I thought."

Step 4 - "OK, maybe there might be a sniff of the Walter Mitty about their fame levels."

Step 5 - Don't pick the person.

Step 6 - Wake up on New Years Day to find out Spade Cooley has them on his team as a 14 point unique pick.

Step 7 - They die on January 3rd, and get obits from everyone. Mail, Sun, BBC, Sky. Even Boris Johnson stops a press conference to say how sad he is they died.

Step 8 - A regular like Willz or Toast or Joey will go "Oh yeah they were really famous in their field but I didn't know they were ill."

Step 9 - Feel foolish

Step 10 - Repeat next December.

I'm currently at Step 4 on a pick. I know how this dance goes!

• Haha 6

Currently there are over 45 teams in and no one else has picked my joker who I was hoping would be getting Drop 40 points too obviously.

So now I'm thinking that they're not going to die, they're not going to QO and I should have given Tom Smith the privilege of shagging up my team for a third year on the trot.

• Like 1

I've had more people die off my main team entry than I have on my 2021 entry (all teams) all year!

Maybe I should have gone down the unique picks route rather than populist. :sherlock:

Just waiting on the next faller tbh.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, msc said:

I introduce you to the gold standard of deadpool advent.

Step 1 - "Oh brilliant, I've found a proper A lister off the radar who is dying and will get an obit. Joker time!"

Step 2 - "OK, hang on, maybe they aren't as famous as I thought."

Step 3 - "OK, maybe that obit isn't as guaranteed as I thought."

Step 4 - "OK, maybe there might be a sniff of the Walter Mitty about their fame levels."

Step 5 - Don't pick the person.

Step 6 - Wake up on New Years Day to find out Spade Cooley has them on his team as a 14 point unique pick.

Step 7 - They die on January 3rd, and get obits from everyone. Mail, Sun, BBC, Sky. Even Boris Johnson stops a press conference to say how sad he is they died.

Step 8 - A regular like Willz or Toast or Joey will go "Oh yeah they were really famous in their field but I didn't know they were ill."

Step 9 - Feel foolish

Step 10 - Repeat next December.

I'm currently at Step 4 on a pick. I know how this dance goes!

I wonder who will get the most unique  picks between us this year? Could be quite a close call thing given your high skill level at deadpooling. 

23 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I wonder who will get the most unique  picks between us this year? Could be quite a close call thing given your high skill level at deadpooling. 

2020 - Pan Breed/Here's Who You Could Have Won*/Curtain - 27 (boosted by my "old folks of interest" team considerably)

The Crumble Trio -  38. 

Even with a team designed to get solos off the LOTL, a crushing win for the Gooseberry Threesome there!

I have no idea how to judge unique chances tbh. In 2016, I think that Rayya Elias was a cheeky unique off the forum. On Jan 1st, it turned out 8 other teams thought exactly the same! Whereas I never assumed Ally McLaws would be unique in a million years. Bar the Drop,40, which you can take an educated stab at, the other bonuses are a bit of pot luck to me so I just put in my team and am pleasantly surprised! 

*As DI admitted confusion recently, for non-Brits, the B-team/Old Folks team name is a Bullseye reference. Although I never picked Jim Bowen for the sodding team, ever. Bit of a miss, that!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

2020 - Pan Breed/Here's Who You Could Have Won*/Curtain - 27 (boosted by my "old folks of interest" team considerably)

The Crumble Trio -  38. 

Even with a team designed to get solos off the LOTL, a crushing win for the Gooseberry Threesome there!

I have no idea how to judge unique chances tbh. In 2016, I think that Rayya Elias was a cheeky unique off the forum. On Jan 1st, it turned out 8 other teams thought exactly the same! Whereas I never assumed Ally McLaws would be unique in a million years. Bar the Drop,40, which you can take an educated stab at, the other bonuses are a bit of pot luck to me so I just put in my team and am pleasantly surprised! 

*As DI admitted confusion recently, for non-Brits, the B-team/Old Folks team name is a Bullseye reference. Although I never picked Jim Bowen for the sodding team, ever. Bit of a miss, that!

Wow I knew I had done well with my number of uniques  but I assumed there would be a considerable number of deadpoolers especially forum legends creme de la creme  ahead of me!

It's definitely  a tricky art. I remember  being surprised at some of my previous picks like James Lovelock being unique picks by me in previous  years.

Something  tells me you will improve your unique pick tally  this year. Just a feeling  I have.:)

8 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Wow I knew I had done well with my number of uniques  but I assumed there would be a considerable number of deadpoolers especially forum legends creme de la creme  ahead of me!

It's definitely  a tricky art. I remember  being surprised at some of my previous picks like James Lovelock being unique picks by me in previous  years.

Something  tells me you will improve your unique pick tally  this year. Just a feeling  I have.:)

I believe Willz had 30 this year.

The person with the most unique picks in this years DDP is of course WEP with around 1.5 billion of the buggers...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

I believe Willz had 30 this year.

The person with the most unique picks in this years DDP is of course WEP with around 1.5 billion of the buggers...

I await January the 1st with interest....!

Did a provisional 20 and I’m surprisingly happy with it. Of course, there’s your Frank Field’s and Gary Burgess’s who probably won’t make the starting line so there would be more spaces to fill in…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Frank Field’s 

Gary Burgess’s

Frank Fields

Gary Burgesses

It's shocking that people are no longer taught how to form plurals.   An apostrophe is seldom needed to form a plural noun.

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/apostrophe.html