Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Described by her family as dying of "mental illness". Unnatural bonus on the cards if we can get some less ambiguous language on the sad circumstances?

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Described by her family as dying of "mental illness". Unnatural bonus on the cards if we can get some less ambiguous language?

Wouldn't that be a reference to dementia?

15 minutes ago, Toast said:

Wouldn't that be a reference to dementia?

Judd previously discussed struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts, so I think suicide is most likely.

17 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Judd previously discussed struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts, so I think suicide is most likely.

Co-incidentally I recently took delivery of a promo copy of this awesome trawl of old school sounds - no tragedy knowingly understated, highly recommended. 

91aqpCfstuL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Pointed out to me that Pan Breed now have 92 hits in DDP history, all time. The century is getting close. Exciting news (to me and me alone)!

• Like 3

I am using my current free time to finally chip away some more at the stats - today I calculated the lifetime points totals of those already on the page, up to the end of 2021. I feel it's worth mentioning that nine teams crossed the 1000 point threshold last year: The Misers, Poochie, Heading Nowhere, Ethnic Cleansing, Dead Ends, This Mortal Coil, Going Underground, Carkers Convention, and some mysterious chapess from New Jersey... Well done to all!

2022 points aren't going in the stats until the year is done, but Spade has since crossed the threshold as well, and Drunkasaskunk will do the same whenever George Perez dies. The Beatles Are Dying in the Wrong Order also has a decent chance achieving the same, but that's probably it for potentials this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

I am using my current free time to finally chip away some more at the stats - today I calculated the lifetime points totals of those already on the page, up to the end of 2021. I feel it's worth mentioning that nine teams crossed the 1000 point threshold last year: The Misers, Poochie, Heading Nowhere, Ethnic Cleansing, Dead Ends, This Mortal Coil, Going Underground, Carkers Convention, and some mysterious chapess from New Jersey... Well done to all!

2022 points aren't going in the stats until the year is done, but Spade has since crossed the threshold as well, and Drunkasaskunk will do the same whenever George Perez dies. The Beatles Are Dying in the Wrong Order also has a decent chance achieving the same, but that's probably it for potentials this year.

Do you know when the theme team league might get updated?

No pressure but I was hoping it happens before I fall out of the top 10. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Do you know when the theme team league might get updated?

No pressure but I was hoping it happens before I fall out of the top 10. 

On it right now. Reptile's "(THEME)" prefixes are a real godsend for making the updates quick and easy!

I make a mental note to update the beginning of each month but sometimes it slips from my mind!

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Death Impends for updating the theme team league. This is clearly my only chance of a decent showing and I am currently joint fourth on the theme team league 10 points off the top. Last year my TT had zero hits and therefore I think I am clearing up some stragglers from last year but I have loads of uniques and quite a few low hanging fruit

Joan D. Vinge has had numerous health issues including a massive stroke several years ago, Peter Ackroyd was told to stop drinking or die, Lady Antonia Fraser has been a widow for forever and Ray Lawler and Arnold Yarrow and now  Centarians

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Hemlock said:

You need to update for David Birney’s death.

You need to show patience.

• Like 3

Ah, to be fair, I did update yesterday, and yes, something was ringing in the back of my mind about another name. But I kind of thought it was Tony Brooker and didn't have the time to check again. I'll add him (soon).

• Like 2

On 30/04/2022 at 22:11, Death Impends said:

Described by her family as dying of "mental illness". Unnatural bonus on the cards if we can get some less ambiguous language on the sad circumstances?

I had wondered this and it was made clear with the update on Wednesday that Judd would get the unnatural bonus.

So far in 2022:

ISIS leader - drone strike

Anna Karen - house fire

Naomi Judd - suicide

And in 2021 GUN's avalanche of mountaineers.

What does count as the "unnatural bonus"?

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Daily Mail weighs in too:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10793069/amp/George-Perez-Marvel-DC-comics-artist-writer-dead-67.html

Third hit for me in a thus far rather dismal return to the DDP.

• Like 1

James Anderton's obituary on the DDP almost made me spit out my coffee at how good a summary it was. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

James Anderton's obituary on the DDP almost made me spit out my coffee at how good a summary it was. Cheers!

It's how you hang the people who really deserve it, IMO. Just factually state their life without much editorial commentary to give the "he was a cunt" bit all the more sting. :lol:

Will shamelessly admit to nicking that motif from some of msc's past obits (I remember Phil Spector and Larry Flynt having that same general "he was very important in his field. he was also a cunt" line) but some gags are too effective not to recycle!

• Like 1