Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

9 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

It is these kind of hits that make the difference - while Jean-Louis Trintignant (J-LT) is D40, only 46 teams have him.  Of those, only 7 have him in the top 40 ranking.  

For those interested prior to the update, this is how J-LT shakes up the standings.

Hide contents

Rank

Punter

Score

Score +8 (J-LT)

New Rank (est)

Evil Grimace

=20

A Trophy for Atrophy

=19

I Will not Die, it’s the World that will End

=13

Pazuzu United

Carkers Convention 2022

Banana’s Peel Slippers

DDP Tofoa

If I had a number in mind to keep a comfortable lead, that would be ~20 points.  

Aye, summat of a bonus all round for me. The finish inside the top 30 certainly seems on atm. 12 of my 20 still breathing, most of them old as fuck and hard to call in terms of surviving the year. Doubtless they'll all survive and I'll stumble home 31st.

I can see the site has been updated for Trintignant's death, but the scoreboard hasn't, or is that a problem that only I can see?

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I can see the site has been updated for Trintignant's death, but the scoreboard hasn't, or is that a problem that only I can see?

No, reptile is away from his computer this week and he updates that bit!

• Like 2

Renowned Swedish linguist and former Permanent Secretary of the Swedish Academy (those guys, who decide on the Nobel Prize), Sture Allén, has died:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.svt.se/kultur/sture-allen-har-avlidit-1

A lost lister as far as the obits are only in Swedish:

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/celebs_A.html#allest

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned in the Detective thread, Leon Lissek is one for List of the Lost.

He's died recently according to Equity magazine's latest issue, and yet no obit anywhere.

His year of birth needs to be adjusted on the DDP too. Born in 1939, not in 1927.

• Thanks 1

If someone whose CV includes Eastenders, an Aussie soap, House of Cards, a Terry Gilliam film and Nicholas and Alexandria doesn't pick up some QO before the end of the year, I'd be stunned. He may of course have died prior to 2022. Actors of course are nowhere near as important to society as Love Island contestants...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depends if anyone who writes obituary’s reads the news of his death. 

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Depends if anyone who writes obituaries reads the news of his death. 

FTFY.

When did schools stop teaching people how to form plurals?  It's not that complicated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/05/2022 at 21:54, alt obits guy said:

Marnie Schulenburg is a 'List of the Missed' pick, having been selected in 2021, but not this year.

She was my pick last year. I didn't see her as a QO certainty, but now we know the answer. RIP.

Btw, my "off-game" score for the DDP appears to be 64, which is 5 points higher than my all-time score of 59. I could see myself getting past 100, and that's even if Alagiah, Whale, Nolan, Turnbull & Barkan all survive the year.

• Like 1

So, 15 points clear on top again. I'd say at this point in the game, the maximum climb possible is around 30 points, so let's say that only the top 7 have any chance to win. However, the complete radio silence recently from Don West - at a time when every single other person who had any involvement with Impact Wrestling has appeared on camera to say a few words and mark its 20th anniversary - makes me think he's a 100% lock. Which knocks us down to the top 3 as the only possible winners. 

Remaining names by team, excluding DW and any names shared by all of the top 3 (Pele and Frank Field):

David Quantick's Showbiz Pals

Vicky Phelan
Julia Reichert
Bill Steel
Susie Steiner (D40)
Dick Vitale
Tom Weiskopf (D40)
Alyson Williams (unique)

DDP Tofoa

George Alagiah (D40)

Ady Barkan
Rob Burrow (D40)

Shannen Doherty (D40)
Olivia Newton-John (D40)
Linda Nolan (D40)
Gavin Robertson
Bill Turnbull (D40)

Banana's Peel Slippers

George Alagiah (D40)
Chris Croucher
Ronnie Hellstrom (dead but no QO)
Jerry Lee Lewis (D40)
Charles M. Lieber (unique)
Vicky Phelan
Julia Reichert
Susie Steiner (D40)
Gianluca Vialli

So two very different ways I can be unseated at the top. George Alagiah is clearly the most dangerous hit to me for the rest of the year. Him going gives Tofoa a number of reasonable shots at taking me out, and a lot of their names are the kind who could drop dead at any moment without much warning. Banana probably needs that Hellstrom obit to come in, perhaps hindered by Sweden's failure to qualify for the WC but it's still feasible. Jerry Lee Lewis is a dangerous name, while Lieber also makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm not buying the bunting just yet, put it that way.

• Like 3

Respect to Deborah James, my first joker hit for years!

15 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

So, 15 points clear on top again. I'd say at this point in the game, the maximum climb possible is around 30 points, so let's say that only the top 7 have any chance to win. However, the complete radio silence recently from Don West - at a time when every single other person who had any involvement with Impact Wrestling has appeared on camera to say a few words and mark its 20th anniversary - makes me think he's a 100% lock. Which knocks us down to the top 3 as the only possible winners. 

Remaining names by team, excluding DW and any names shared by all of the top 3 (Pele and Frank Field):

David Quantick's Showbiz Pals

Vicky Phelan
Julia Reichert
Bill Steel
Susie Steiner (D40)
Dick Vitale
Tom Weiskopf (D40)
Alyson Williams (unique)

DDP Tofoa

George Alagiah (D40)

Ady Barkan
Rob Burrow (D40)

Shannen Doherty (D40)
Olivia Newton-John (D40)
Linda Nolan (D40)
Gavin Robertson
Bill Turnbull (D40)

Banana's Peel Slippers

George Alagiah (D40)
Chris Croucher
Ronnie Hellstrom (dead but no QO)
Jerry Lee Lewis (D40)
Charles M. Lieber (unique)
Vicky Phelan
Julia Reichert
Susie Steiner (D40)
Gianluca Vialli

So two very different ways I can be unseated at the top. George Alagiah is clearly the most dangerous hit to me for the rest of the year. Him going gives Tofoa a number of reasonable shots at taking me out, and a lot of their names are the kind who could drop dead at any moment without much warning. Banana probably needs that Hellstrom obit to come in, perhaps hindered by Sweden's failure to qualify for the WC but it's still feasible. Jerry Lee Lewis is a dangerous name, while Lieber also makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm not buying the bunting just yet, put it that way.

Yea I think this is pretty much wrapped up at the half-way point. I feel pretty confident in surpassing Eesti with Reichert, Phelan and Steiner on the line. First seems out of reach though being down 23. A Hellstrom QO brings it down to 16. Croucher and Lieber are giving me fraud vibes, but who knows what's going on with them. Vialli's cancer is supposedly under control but pancan so take that with a grain of salt. Lewis and Alagiah seem like my best bets which would give me a 2 pt lead if no one else goes from your squad. 

Although I very clearly still remain a dark horse - I'm "Fade to Black" and currently in 6th spot - what I do have is two young selections that nearly nobody else picked.  Slick Woods has stage 3 skin cancer & is not on meds and Cornelius Price is in a long-term coma-like state from which he's never likely to improve. If the pair were to go this year, it's 22 points. Additionally none of the leaders has referee Tony Brown (stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis in April 2021). I might still need at least two more (Ronnie Atkins & Tim Keller are probably the best combo due to age & infrequency of selection), not to mention the top five scoring very little in the second half of 2022. Improbable, but not impossible. (And if by some miracle Dan Lacey ever gets a QO...)

I believe I'm mathematically eliminated before the second half of the year even so need not concern myself with hypothetical scenarios this year!

23 minutes ago, msc said:

I believe I'm mathematically eliminated before the second half of the year even so need not concern myself with hypothetical scenarios this year!

I was mathematically eliminated on January 2.

• Like 1

I'd need Carter, Gilbert, the Frogman, and the Tyler grandson to form a Christmas suicide pact for me to stand a chance. By design, admittedly.

My only hit was on January 1st. Everyone else I've picked is still alive, and the local TT rider I have as my joker managed to get through the whole meeting without crashing once.

My half-year standing is as good as usual. Two down from my main team (Parkinson & Parks); two from my theme team (both in January; shame it's an annual thing not a monthly thing!) and of my 'Randoms Who Might', none have.

At the moment I'm actually quite happy, I'm in 7th place (7/20, 93 points). However, if I had kept Tom Parker on my team, I could be in 2nd place. You can imagine that this annoys me a little bit! It would be great if I could finish the year in the top 10 again. But the opponents are very strong and unfortunately a few of my picks too, so wishing and hoping, as always B)

Authors thread reporting the death of Susie Steiner - which will take Quantick into a bigger lead and Banana's Peel Slippers into second once the q/o shows up

As already mentioned by maryportfuncity in the authors thread, Susie Steiner's date of birth seems to be 29.06.1971 - I read that somewhere, too.

Speaking of which, here are the dates of birth of Jana Bennett (06.11.1955) and Diane Berberian (14.01.1958) as a supplement for the biographies.

• Like 4