gcreptile

Dianne Feinstein

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Combine this with other reports, and it is clear that she does not have the soundness of mind required to finish out her term... Although she may be physically able to do it. Questionable.

• Like 1

The New York Times is reporting that, to no surprise, her recent illness was much worse than her office reported: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/us/politics/feinstein-illness-shingles-senate.html

Key points:

• Her shingles infection spread widely to her face and neck, causing the partial paralysis of her face with Ramsay Hunt syndrome.
  • The infection also caused swelling in her brain (encephalitis), making her memory loss even worse.
  • Basically everyone around her has totally given up any hope she will choose to resign. The article suggests that were only two people who could have possibly convinced her otherwise (her husband and a former colleague), but they're both dead. There are still 18 months left in her term.
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, JustPassingThrough said:

hope she will choose to resign. The article suggests that were only two people who could have possibly convinced her otherwise (her husband and a former colleague), but they're both dead. There are still 18 months left in her term.

Wether we agree with her position or not, once had to respect that investment for her cause. 
the only question is : will she reach the end of her term ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

For a while, I assumed she'd have no problem making it, because people can hypothetically carry on for a while with dementia, and it seemed she was in decent physical health for a long time. But it feels like she's really declined since her husband died, and the shingles and related complications have just been devastating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Wether we agree with her position or not, once had to respect that investment for her cause. 

Perhaps not as a Senator, but probably as a living human being.

3 hours ago, JustPassingThrough said:

The article suggests that were only two people who could have possibly convinced her otherwise (her husband and a former colleague), but they're both dead. There are still 18 months left in her term.

For reference, that friend was Representative Ellen Tauscher of California, who has been dead since 2019.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Looks likely she will die before the end of the term.Looks like a cold could kill her.

• Like 1

Video of Sen. Feinstein at today's committee hearing. She is still clearly dealing with the facial paralysis issues, but sounds somewhat clear.

• Like 1

She was also able to walk into today's Judiciary Committee hearing, so she's not entirely wheelchair bound.

4F9C36C4-EEE1-4DD6-BFD0-AD6D458EEEE9.jpeg

• Like 2

DiFi's daughter, who is 66 years old, now has power of attorney over her now 90-year-old mother.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

As the replies point out, she has no control over her legal affairs but can still serve as a U.S. Senator, apparently

• Facepalm 1

This was a few days ago, but I forgot to post this painful video here. I think she's gone before her term ends in January 2025. 

Tbh she doesn’t look at death door on the video: she looks way better than the wheelchair photo a few weeks back. Ofc she’s frail and probably lost but she jokes about the aye at the end of the video and can still talk properly etc.. will probably make it to 2024. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Tbh she doesn’t look at death door on the video: she looks way better than the wheelchair photo a few weeks back. Ofc she’s frail and probably lost but she jokes about the aye at the end of the video and can still talk properly etc.. will probably make it to 2024. 

Yeah, I think she makes it to 2024, but I doubt she goes too far beyond that. 

She looks physically a little stronger and less ill but it is clear she has quite bad dementia.Allowing her to continue serving is elder abuse at this point. Yeah she might live until the end of her senate term but if she does I doubt she will be mentally well enough to function even at the basic level she is now.

40 minutes ago, Sean said:

She looks physically a little stronger and less ill but it is clear she has quite bad dementia.Allowing her to continue serving is elder abuse at this point. Yeah she might live until the end of her senate term but if she does I doubt she will be mentally well enough to function even at the basic level she is now.

That video from the hearing does indicate that she can at least continue to express new and original thought. Which perhaps means she's not entirely gone yet...

She is so old that when she was mayor of San Francisco she had to pander to the neo-confederate wing of the democratic party, so a good pick for 2024 I say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ABC local news also tweeted it, it's true.

• Like 2

I mean, some of these people cant imagine a world without them. So they never retire. Her "recovery" after shingles was a mirage. Her not retiring was not a sign of doing better again, but of simply being delusional.

• Like 4