Sign in to follow this  
Charlotte's Controller

It’s coming home.

Predict the final score, the girls have done well and they deserve everything that is coming to them. Given what is required to receive a gong now what should these ladies receive. If they win Beckham and alike will have been surpassed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2-1 to England.

England last won the World Cup in 2017 (U20 world cup). But it's good to win one every few years in all the different protected categories. Don't think we'll ever win THE world cup again though.

Edit: England 0 Spain 0 [Spain 1-0 on penalties]

I've never seen something with no news get so much coverage on a daily basis. Let's watch the same training session over and over, the same interviews with the players and coach, the same fucking everything all the fucking time since they qualified for the final.

Please let it be over. And if England win, let's not have two weeks of the same fucking thing over and over every hour on the hour. You have the rest of your lives to keep going on about it, just like you have done since the year of my birth.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I've never seen something with no news get so much coverage on a daily basis. Let's watch the same training session over and over, the same interviews with the players and coach, the same fucking everything all the fucking time since they qualified for the final.

Please let it be over. And if England win, let's not have two weeks of the same fucking thing over and over every hour on the hour. You have the rest of your lives to keep going on about it, just like you have done since the year of my birth.

I don't watch the news on TV any more.  I read it online. That way, if I'm not interested in something beyond the headline  I don't have to click on it.

• Like 1

its going to be 2-2 then England wins 4-2 on penalty's 

7 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

England last won the World Cup in 2017 (U20 world cup). But it's good to win one every few years in all the different protected categories. Don't think we'll ever win THE world cup again though.

Edit: England 0 Spain 0 [Spain 1-0 on penalties]

There's a difference between junior and senior tournaments though. We haven't won a senior World Cup since 1966 is the point. And we're bound to win the men's World Cup again at some point, we've reached a semi and a final in the past 3 tournaments we've entered.

As for your prediction, you think England are going to miss all 5 of their penalties, having scored 8 of their last 10 in shootouts? :huh:

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

There's a difference between junior and senior tournaments though. We haven't won a senior World Cup since 1966 is the point. And we're bound to win the men's World Cup again at some point, we've reached a semi and a final in the past 3 tournaments we've entered.

As for your prediction, you think England are going to miss all 5 of their penalties, having scored 8 of their last 10 in shootouts? :huh:

Its only called the World Cup if its from the Jules Rimet region of France, otherwise it's just sparkling trophy (or summat). 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

There's a difference between junior and senior tournaments though. We haven't won a senior World Cup since 1966 is the point.

There's also a difference between male and female tournaments (bigger difference in quality than between the world cup and the u20 world cup, much bigger).

There is THE world cup. 

And then there are all the other world cups under the various protected categories - female, u17, u20, u23, disabled, blind etc. I don't think anyone who plays in any of these world cups would ever downplay their importance to those taking part.

Personally my current obsession is the sport of padel, but good luck to those watching this tournament.

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

There's also a difference between male and female tournaments (bigger difference in quality than between the world cup and the u20 world cup, much bigger).

There is THE world cup. 

And then there are all the other world cups under the various protected categories - female, u17, u20, u23, disabled, blind etc. I don't think anyone who plays in any of these world cups would ever downplay their importance to those taking part.

Personally my current obsession is the sport of padel, but good luck to those watching this tournament.

Don't understand this idea that the difference in quality is vast. In what sense? It's different, perhaps. But the games are competitive, close and entertaining. And these are the best female players on the planet. It's a senior tournament, the competitors are all adults (young adults in some rare cases). You're seriously equating the Women's World Cup with the Blind World Cup? Honestly thought this argument had already been won. :facepalm:  Females are not a 'protected status'. They are a separate sex. Are female tennis players a protected category? "THE World Cup." :lol: Good job only men are allowed to play "THE sports".

Enjoy your obscure sport. I could call it rubbish tennis, but I'm guessing it's not rubbish, just different. :rolleyes:

Padel is just fantastic for fans and players of racket sports. I suggest you try it. It incorporates elements of tennis (court layout and net), squash (the walls) and ping pong (the bats). On a related note, female racket sports are great to watch, especially ping pong and badminton.

If you have been following the excruciating debates in Athletics about whether trans or DSD people can compete against women, you would understand very clearly what a protected category is. Quote:

Track and field has banned transgender athletes from international competition, World Athletics president Sebastian Coe said the decision was made to “protect the female category .

You ask: Are female tennis players a protected category? Yes of course they are. Seen any blokes playing in the women's draw?

Imagine if women's football starts to become very profitable and men who have been unable to make it in the men's game decide to self-identify as women so they can join in. Don't be ridiculous, you might say? It has already happened in sports from cycling to weightlifting to athletics to swimming, so as things stand I would say it is inevitable that someone will test the protected status of women's football at some point in the not too distant future. I hope the authorities stay strong and keep the protected status of the women's game.

• Facepalm 2

@Youth in Asia - My parents play Padel Tennis when they are out in Spain and they love it.

Also it's very clear they don't ban trans women to "protect the game/competition" or whatever because people who run chess are banning trans women now. All you need for chess is knowledge about the game, luck and strategy. Nothing about agility and testosterone levels etc. It doesn't need to be gender based.

I understand when it comes to things like athletics because fair play is needed, but chess?

• Shocked 1

Literally every "sanctity of X" talking point is just a front for bigotry. Sanctity of marriage, think of the children, etc. Guarantee that no one making a fuss about trans women in sport actually cares about the integrity of the game when trans women are a tiny sliver of its participants and rarely ever win, they're just fixating on the minority that is *barf* currently the most socially acceptable to hate.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Literally every "sanctity of X" talking point is just a front for bigotry. Sanctity of marriage, think of the children, etc. Guarantee that no one making a fuss about trans women in sport actually cares about the integrity of the game when trans women are a tiny sliver of its participants and rarely ever win, they're just fixating on the minority that is *barf* currently the most socially acceptable to hate.

I mean I'm probably being an idiot here, but surely the way forward if to have trans categories in sports?

Not necessarily separate games of competitions but integrated into the main arenas?

Seems simplest way forward. Live and let live I say, progress, up the workers on Ilkley Moor or summat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

@Youth in Asia - My parents play Padel Tennis when they are out in Spain and they love it.

Also it's very clear they don't ban trans women to "protect the game/competition" or whatever because people who run chess are banning trans women now. All you need for chess is knowledge about the game, luck and strategy. Nothing about agility and testosterone levels etc. It doesn't need to be gender based.

I understand when it comes to things like athletics because fair play is needed, but chess?

Yes, and I don't even understand why they have separate tournaments for men and women in chess. I mean physical strength doesn't come into it, it's not as if the pieces are heavy.

All adult chess tournaments should be open to everybody that is a human being (not a computer).

• Like 1

There is actually the gay games and EuroGames where LGBT+ athletes can participate. However, not in an official Olympic event. It's not as if there's a shortage of trans athletes around if certain organisations wish to do a mass study.

14 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Don't understand this idea that the difference in quality is vast. In what sense? It's different, perhaps. But the games are competitive, close and entertaining. And these are the best female players on the planet. It's a senior tournament, the competitors are all adults (young adults in some rare cases). You're seriously equating the Women's World Cup with the Blind World Cup? Honestly thought this argument had already been won. :facepalm:  Females are not a 'protected status'. They are a separate sex. Are female tennis players a protected category? "THE World Cup." :lol: Good job only men are allowed to play "THE sports".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Seen these on Twitter (yes, Elon, TWITTER). Paddy Power always quick off the mark with things like this. Get em back in the kitchen! :lol:

They're honestly fantastic to watch. Can't wait for the morning. (And I haven't given a prediction because I daren't - but I *think* they'll win... :tomatododge:)

5 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Yes, and I don't even understand why they have separate tournaments for men and women in chess. I mean physical strength doesn't come into it, it's not as if the pieces are heavy.

All adult chess tournaments should be open to everybody that is a human being (not a computer).

Most of the main chess tournaments are open; men and women play against each other.

There are only a few tournaments limited to women only: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_chess The reason for this is that while men are taught from a young age to play chess, women aren't as they are often discriminated against in education, and they want to be able to develop their skills without being bullied or sexually assaulted (which happens frequently in chess from my understanding). This week, Chess.com banned coverage of the St. Louis Chess Club due to sexual assault. Only non paywalled link I could find is dailymail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12415489/Chess-world-sexual-misconduct-STL-club.html

• Shocked 1

8 hours ago, lilham said:

they want to be able to develop their skills without being bullied or sexually assaulted (which happens frequently in chess from my understanding). 

Sexual assault in Chess? I blame too much pawn..

(I'll get my coat)