Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I hope all who picked him feel suitably rewarded one way or the other, ha!

Points aren’t everything. Except in this game.

As pure an FFBI as there ever will be.  Hell, the town I grew up in has 5 thousand more people in it than this guy's ward and I certainly wouldn't consider anyone on the 4-person council who oversees it anywhere near famous.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

As pure an FFBI as there ever will be.  Hell, the town I grew up in has 5 thousand more people in it than this guy's ward and I certainly wouldn't consider anyone on the 4-person council who oversees it anywhere near famous.

Bit harsh on the stay-at-home cancer mums much beloved of the Daily Mail in December, innit? Are you saying their sterling efforts to avoid paid employment or public service count for nothing?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Interesting that if everyone in his ward followed him on social media, he still wouldn’t qualify as a pick as an internet celebrity! 

But I remain neutral!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Interesting that if everyone in his ward followed him on social media, he still wouldn’t qualify as a pick as an internet celebrity! 

But I remain neutral!

I'm not sure he even qualifies for a mention in "The Fringes of Fame" thread.

I don't remain neutral.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

But I remain neutral!

Nor would any MP.

4 minutes ago, time said:

Nor would any MP.

I’m not arguing the pick was invalid or wrong. MPs generally have a national profile to back up their status.

Personally, not a pick for me and I can still live with myself, crying into my pillow of pointlessness.

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

But I remain neutral!

Well I'm not but I set my stall out on what is FFBI and what isn't a long time ago, codified it into DDP law, and stand by it. Although some picks I wouldn't have allowed no doubt get by now I'm retired, and picks I would allowed are not. As it should be. Boss's decision final. Or Committees! 

Incidentally, do you know what nefarious fringe picking regular caused the longest headache over to allow or disallow a pick under the FFBI rules when I was on the Cmme? Gooseberry bloody Crumble of all people, the last person I'd have thought capable of it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, msc said:

Well I'm not but I set my stall out on what is FFBI and what isn't a long time ago, codified it into DDP law, and stand by it. Although some picks I wouldn't have allowed no doubt get by now I'm retired, and picks I would allowed are not. As it should be. Boss's decision final. Or Committees! 

Incidentally, do you know what nefarious fringe picking regular caused the longest headache over to allow or disallow a pick under the FFBI rules when I was on the Cmme? Gooseberry bloody Crumble of all people, the last person I'd have thought capable of it!

I suspect Bloody Crumble might have been his fourth team, if he were allowed it, lol!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, msc said:

Is this  John Ward I take  it?! I like to spark good  healthy debate  even if on that occasion it was unintentional!. Its validity as a pick was never queried by anyone  after my list was revealed  so I think that points to it being the right decision because  I doubt  fear of me and subsequent shaking in their boots was the reason nothing was  said!

One of my teachers at senior school said if need  be I could talk for hours about a blank piece of paper no problem  so my causing the committee to have a long nightmare of an intellectual debate is really just me passing that special  talent of mine onto you- sharing is caring!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I suspect Bloody Crumble might have been his fourth team, if he were allowed it, lol!

Don't encourage  me!!! I have more than enough names  on the scraps of paper in my writing pad for a fourth team and then some!

• Haha 1

He should not have been allowed. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Is this  John Ward I take  it?! I like to spark good  healthy debate  even if on that occasion it was unintentional!. Its validity as a pick was never queried by anyone  after my list was revealed  so I think that points to it being the right decision because  I doubt  fear of me and subsequent shaking in their boots was the reason nothing was  said!

One of my teachers at senior school said if need  be I could talk for hours about a blank piece of paper no problem  so my causing the committee to have a long nightmare of an intellectual debate is really just me passing that special  talent of mine onto you- sharing is caring!!

Yes, Ward.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, msc said:

I think that Brighton opera singer picked by Banana, as well as Amy Price are very much on the cusp of FFBI but it is all within the rules.

I think if you really want to stop the debate about the fringe picks, then the rule might have to be that they have to have a Wikipedia page to qualify.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Yes, Ward.

I think  I recall you saying something along the lines of John Ward was literally inhabitating the narrow  intersection line  of the crossroads between  being permissable and non permissable  when I discussed it with you months later.

And after all that I dropped him the next year and he died and was relegated to the list of the missed!

Ooh just reread your post and noticed you called me nefarious!!:o:lol:

• Haha 1

There were two names I recall who were debated and split decisions but ultimately got through this year.

The guy who had gay sex on the Senate floor - very marginal, but the story is eye catching and one-off enough. If gay sex on the Senate floor were a routine occurrence (as the GOP is wont to fearmonger) it'd be a different story.

Melania's mum - some families are so prominent that they bend the usual X's mum rules, like Royals or Kennedys. Alas the Trumps are one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I think that Brighton opera singer picked by Banana, as well as Amy Price are very much on the cusp of FFBI but it is all within the rules.

I think if you really want to stop the debate about the fringe picks, then the rule might have to be that they have to have a Wikipedia page to qualify.

There are a lot of people who nobody would question their selection who don’t have a Wikipedia page.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

There were two names I recall who were debated and split decisions but ultimately got through this year.

The guy who had gay sex on the Senate floor - very marginal, but the story is eye catching and one-off enough. If gay sex on the Senate floor were a routine occurrence (as the GOP is wont to fearmonger) it'd be a different story.

Melania's mum - some families are so prominent that they bend the usual X's mum rules, like Royals or Kennedys. Alas the Trumps are one.

Melania’s mum got a Telegraph obituary. People don’t get one of those unless they genuinely notable. 

5 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I think that would provoke a whole other level of debate.  I can't  recall specifics but occasionally  over the years  there have been a few people over various fields who I remember  being surprised didn't have a Wikipedia page. 

I don't think it's possible to get to a 'utopia' of  fully ending debate  on  picks or desirable. 

10 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

That'd open a whole other can of worms, the game being hostage to Wiki Editors and their stupid whims.

The best way to stop the debate is for people to stop taking the game so seriously and whinging about every little thing of course. :D

And I was thinking "didn't I ban Amy Price?" Apparently not. Some folk got through the gaps in 5000 names. Genuinely, co-running the DDP, working an actual job and looking after a small child at the same time, while chronically ill, was insane. Never again. The number of people who'd have got sweary responses if not for Reptile appealing to my better nature...

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think  I recall you saying something along the lines of John Ward was literally inhabitating the narrow  intersection line  of the crossroads between  being permissable and non permissable  when I discussed it with you months later.

And after all that I dropped him the next year and he died and was relegated to the list of the missed!

Ooh just reread your post and noticed you called me nefarious!!:o:lol:

Yes, a lot of discussion was had, a decision was made, and we stood by it. Then after all that effort, you dropped the bloody sod! :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

That’s was quick. 

That form of bile duct cancer he suffered from had a grim prognosis and there was whispers last year it had spread to his brain. 

38 minutes ago, msc said:

That'd open a whole other can of worms, the game being hostage to Wiki Editors and their stupid whims.

The best way to stop the debate is for people to stop taking the game so seriously and whinging about every little thing of course. :D

And I was thinking "didn't I ban Amy Price?" Apparently not. Some folk got through the gaps in 5000 names. Genuinely, co-running the DDP, working an actual job and looking after a small child at the same time, while chronically ill, was insane. Never again. The number of people who'd have got sweary responses if not for Reptile appealing to my better nature...

Yes, a lot of discussion was had, a decision was made, and we stood by it. Then after all that effort, you dropped the bloody sod! :lol:

I was convinced someone would be eager to swoop  and put  him on their team the next  year! Absolutely convinced but alas  no wise owl saw the merit in using  him!  Having said all of that I think all of my subsequent  unique  picks in the years since have been  straight forward good but unused or overseen finds and not headaches at the borderline of debates about definition!

You also make a good point about Wikipedia. 

I currently have what I consider to be a very good potential juicy unique pick  for 2025. They have no Wikipedia page despite being  a regular  and central key face on an iconic  television show for over a decade.  I was very surprised they had no Wikipedia page of their own  and if picked by me there would be zero debate about their validity regardless of their lack of wiki  page. No more than that I cannot say without endangering its precious unique status  but banning the name because it doesn't have a Wikipedia page would create a whole new anomalie  for debate. 

5 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

That’s was quick. 

I was surprised he made it until 2024, he's been very ill since November.

EDIT He had actually been ill for much longer. He had pre existing liver conditions but after appearing very ill at a Rushden and Diamonds event last summer, came out with the announcement.

Poor lad.