Sign in to follow this  
Lafaucheuse

In Memoriam 2023

Ladies, gentlemen and in between… Here is the second edition of the annual In Memoriam Award 

Before the 20th of January (12pm english Time), whoever wants can vote by PM for the person who deserves to win in each category below explained. I will then sum up all the votes and come with a winner for each category and two "honorable mentions". A candidate can be nominated and win in several categories. Results will be post on this thread in the last days of January 2024. Without further ado, here are the categories 

The biggest female death : the most groundbreaking death of the year, the one which you think was the most influential, the most important, the most… the biggest. 

The biggest male death : read above… but with a man

The most shocking one : the death that you didn't expect, that made you feel like "omg what ?" 

The saddest one : that one death that, when you heard of, you suddenfly had a speck of durst in your eyes. 

The best received one : the one that you laughed at, that you acclaimed 

The most awaited one : the one that wasn't a shock, that was long overdue, that made you feel like "at last, finally !". Immortals and lingerer candidates mostly in here. 

The biggest survivor : the celeb that you're the most surprised to see have survived the year

The biggest miss : the one that the committee should have picked… but didn't

The most promising one : the prominent celeb that you think is the most promising to be a hit for your personal list or the official one in 2024

Entries open from now on, enjoy :) 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

The most promising one : the prominent celeb that you think is the most promising to be a hit for your personal list or the official one in 2023

Is this one meant to be 2024 or am I misunderstanding the prompt? 

Great post, I love thinking I have some power over who should be the most significant of the year. 

The biggest female death : Tina Turner

The biggest male death : Yevgeny Prigohzin

The most shocking one : Paul Cattermole

The saddest one : Paul O’Grady

The best received one : Rolf Harris

The most awaited one : George Alagiah

The biggest survivor : Jimmy Carter

The biggest miss : George Alagiah

The most promising one : Esther Rantzen assuming 2023 means 24

• Like 1

The biggest female death : Tina Turner

The biggest male death : Matthew Perry

The most shocking one : Bray Wyatt (Matthew Perry close second)

The saddest one : Andre Braugher

The best received one : Rolf Harris

The most awaited one : Shane MacGowan

The biggest survivor : Jimmy Carter

The biggest miss : George Alagiah

The most promising one : Jimmy Carter

• Like 1

I saw all of your messages and I'm glad you're all enjoying this little thread ! Didn't take the time to answer everyone but all of your submissions are taken into consideration :) 

• Thanks 2

Just sum up all your votes. A pretty interesting year and a lot of diverse answers, especially for the saddest one category in which only 2 people have 2 votes. Just one category has all votes (except one ) going for the same person, I'll let you guess which one ;) 

18 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Just sum up all your votes. A pretty interesting year and a lot of diverse answers, especially for the saddest one category in which only 2 people have 2 votes. Just one category has all votes (except one ) going for the same person, I'll let you guess which one ;) 

Biggest survivor: Jimmy Carter B)

Results to be published tomorrow ! Accepting the last votes until tomorrow morning at maximum ! 

Ladies and Gentlemen… 

! Here are the results of the 2023 In Memoriam Award Ceremony 

Biggest Female Death 

646e774b7f126_043-dpa-pa-410191780.jpg.thumb.jpg.f37b4d0b4a62e67f53c77b1e58ef026e.jpg

She was simply the best ! With 18 votes, Tina Turner was by far the biggest female death of 2023 according to you. No comparaison to Sinead O Connor and Rosalynn Carter who both received one vote. We didn't want to lose you Tina…

Biggest Male Death

henri-kissinger-ancien-secretaire-etat-americain.jpg.thumb.jpg.702c193d67f6dc43e8656e7a63cacbe1.jpg

Kissinger voted as biggest male death of the year ! The votes were much more diverse here : Matthew Perry came close to overshadow old Henry while Yevgeny Prigozhin received two votes and Barker, Belafonte and Berlusconi both were mentioned once. 

Most Socking One

37561c4a-1d32-4bac-acaf-43845010478a_alta-libre-aspect-ratio_default_0.thumb.jpg.d9177236b7159622e49c676ce7a47983.jpg

Bing ! Matthew Perry finally wins a category : most shocking death of the year with a little advance on his fellow nominees. The votes here were even more diversified : Paul Reubens, Sinead O'Connor both received 3 mentions, Andre Braugher and Paul Cattermole totalized two votes and Lisa Marie Presley, Andy Rourke, Tatjana Patitz and Bray Watt were considered once each. 

The Saddest One

Design_sans_titre-2.thumb.png.1b1367a545b0d493134842231b96c8d8.png

The most subjective category didn't disappoint : the votes were so sparsed here that it's a five-way tie between Sinead O'Connor, Paul O'Grady, Michael Gambon, Andre Braugher and… Perry again ! They both received only two votes… Which means the other 11 nominees received one vote each (amongst which we can point out the presence of Barry Humphries, Bobby Charlton, Norman Lear, Sakamoto, Richard Franklin and Book's favorite, Ingrid Steeger ;) ) 

The Best Received One

rolf-harris-2.jpg.jpg.c15fdd1361b31fb011313d0a9966d9cf.jpg

Back to a more consensual category : Rolf Harris wins the best-received death of the year with 8 votes. A little more than Kissinger (6 votes) and Kaczynski (3 votes). Luis Garavito and Pat Robertson were considered one time each ! 

The Most Awaited One

Henry-Kissinger-a-Washington-le-1er-decembre-2022-1758492.thumb.jpg.132bd94578b9f851dc937864305eb19a.jpg

Kissinger wins a second election ! Most awaited death of the year, the one that made you think "at laaaast, finally !" saw Bob Barker collecting 3 votes, McGowan and Alagiah 2, and coffin-teasers Carman Sevilla, Dianne Feinstein and Chabello only one. 

The Biggest Survivor

Y6Z3ZHDISRMODOUP55PB7T5R7M.jpg.21fd3560ddd635593fb1b17cd858661c.jpg

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum from the 'saddest' category, the biggest survivor category was (almost) unanimous. All of you (20) voted for the peanut farmer in this category. An evidence, but will he be voted biggest survivor of 2024 for the next edition of the In Memoriam Award ? Wait and see… Only one person voted for Zhang Lixiong, I'll let you guess who ;) 

The Biggest Miss

_122570122_alagiah_bbc.jpg.6c7551649dc99c387f59834781b99506.jpg

_130056197_gettyimages-1301274454.jpg.jpg.6402f5e8efaa3c53bb2d4032642800f7.jpg

Another tie in this category : George Alagiah and Ted Kaczynski win the biggest miss of 2023, just in front of Sandra Day O'Connor and Giorgio Napolitano who tie for second place with 3 votes each. Then comes Gianlucca Vialli, and with one vote each, Phyllis Coates and Jimmy Buffett. 

The Most Promising one

Malgre-14-points-de-suture-au-front-Jimmy-Carter-de-retour-sur-un-chantier.thumb.jpg.e3cc0c4400808d5185b61e76a6311201.jpg

Carter wins a second category and is elected as the most promising figure to die in 2024. If it continues in the same vein as January, you all might have done the wrong choice here… Chomsky, Rantzen and Ira Schab were also mentioned here. Wait and see if your prediction comes true ! 

To sum up, we had 21 voters this year. Matthew Perry, Henry Kissinger, Jimmy Carter and Rolf Harris were the most voted persons in general and Matthew Perry appeared the most, winning almost 3 categories this year. Surprised Joanne Woodward wasn't even mentioned once (for promising and biggest survivor). Bennett, Kundera, Jeff Beck (!), Lee Sun-Kyun (!) Jane Birkin or even Lucile Randon (for most awaited one) were among the ones that I was most surprised not to see appear a single time. A very sparse year in term of voting in general. Interesting. Hope 2024 will bring an even more diverse way of voting !

Well, that's all for this year folks, see you in early 2025 for the next In Memoriam Award of 2024. 

Thanks for your participation ! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Ladies and Gentlemen… 

! Here are the results of the 2023 In Memoriam Award Ceremony 

Biggest Female Death 

646e774b7f126_043-dpa-pa-410191780.jpg.thumb.jpg.f37b4d0b4a62e67f53c77b1e58ef026e.jpg

She was simply the best ! With 18 votes, Tina Turner was by far the biggest female death of 2023 according to you. No comparaison to Sinead O Connor and Rosalynn Carter who both received one vote. We didn't want to lose you Tina…

Biggest Male Death

henri-kissinger-ancien-secretaire-etat-americain.jpg.thumb.jpg.702c193d67f6dc43e8656e7a63cacbe1.jpg

Kissinger voted as biggest male death of the year ! The votes were much more diverse here : Matthew Perry came close to overshadow old Henry while Yevgeny Prigozhin received two votes and Barker, Belafonte and Berlusconi both were mentioned once. 

Most Socking One

37561c4a-1d32-4bac-acaf-43845010478a_alta-libre-aspect-ratio_default_0.thumb.jpg.d9177236b7159622e49c676ce7a47983.jpg

Bing ! Matthew Perry finally wins a category : most shocking death of the year with a little advance on his fellow nominees. The votes here were even more diversified : Paul Reubens, Sinead O'Connor both received 3 mentions, Andre Braugher and Paul Cattermole totalized two votes and Lisa Marie Presley, Andy Rourke, Tatjana Patitz and Bray Watt were considered once each. 

The Saddest One

Design_sans_titre-2.thumb.png.1b1367a545b0d493134842231b96c8d8.png

The most subjective category didn't disappoint : the votes were so sparsed here that it's a five-way tie between Sinead O'Connor, Paul O'Grady, Michael Gambon, Andre Braugher and… Perry again ! They both received only two votes… Which means the other 11 nominees received one vote each (amongst which we can point out the presence of Barry Humphries, Bobby Charlton, Norman Lear, Sakamoto, Richard Franklin and Book's favorite, Ingrid Steeger ;) ) 

The Best Received One

rolf-harris-2.jpg.jpg.c15fdd1361b31fb011313d0a9966d9cf.jpg

Back to a more consensual category : Rolf Harris wins the best-received death of the year with 8 votes. A little more than Kissinger (6 votes) and Kaczynski (3 votes). Luis Garavito and Pat Robertson were considered one time each ! 

The Most Awaited One

Henry-Kissinger-a-Washington-le-1er-decembre-2022-1758492.thumb.jpg.132bd94578b9f851dc937864305eb19a.jpg

Kissinger wins a second election ! Most awaited death of the year, the one that made you think "at laaaast, finally !" saw Bob Barker collecting 3 votes, McGowan and Alagiah 2, and coffin-teasers Carman Sevilla, Dianne Feinstein and Chabello only one. 

The Biggest Survivor

Y6Z3ZHDISRMODOUP55PB7T5R7M.jpg.21fd3560ddd635593fb1b17cd858661c.jpg

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum from the 'saddest' category, the biggest survivor category was (almost) unanimous. All of you (20) voted for the peanut farmer in this category. An evidence, but will he be voted biggest survivor of 2024 for the next edition of the In Memoriam Award ? Wait and see… Only one person voted for Zhang Lixiong, I'll let you guess who ;) 

The Biggest Miss

_122570122_alagiah_bbc.jpg.6c7551649dc99c387f59834781b99506.jpg

_130056197_gettyimages-1301274454.jpg.jpg.6402f5e8efaa3c53bb2d4032642800f7.jpg

Another tie in this category : George Alagiah and Ted Kaczynski win the biggest miss of 2023, just in front of Sandra Day O'Connor and Giorgio Napolitano who tie for second place with 3 votes each. Then comes Gianlucca Vialli, and with one vote each, Phyllis Coates and Jimmy Buffett. 

The Most Promising one

Malgre-14-points-de-suture-au-front-Jimmy-Carter-de-retour-sur-un-chantier.thumb.jpg.e3cc0c4400808d5185b61e76a6311201.jpg

Carter wins a second category and is elected as the most promising figure to die in 2024. If it continues in the same vein as January, you all might have done the wrong choice here… Chomsky, Rantzen and Ira Schab were also mentioned here. Wait and see if your prediction comes true ! 

To sum up, we had 21 voters this year. Matthew Perry, Henry Kissinger, Jimmy Carter and Rolf Harris were the most voted persons in general and Matthew Perry appeared the most, winning almost 3 categories this year. Surprised Joanne Woodward wasn't even mentioned once (for promising and biggest survivor). Bennett, Kundera, Al Fayed, Jane Birkin or even Lucile Randon (for most awaited one) were among the ones that I was most surprised not to see appear a single time. A very sparse year in term of voting in general. Interesting. Hope 2024 will bring an even more diverse way of voting !

Well, that's all for this year folks, see you in early 2025 for the next In Memoriam Award of 2024. 

Thanks for your participation ! 

Most socking?

5 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

A very sparse year in term of voting in general.

Sorry, I would have voted had I seen the relevant post.

Apropos of which, until about 3-4 weeks ago the 8 most active/most recently commented on  threads always used to come up below the main list of 50. That suddenly disappeared a few weeks ago, which means I click on activity instead to see the most recent posts but tend not to bother paging back through every post, since I last visited which means I have missed a few things recently.

If anyone in power is reading this, could the 8 top threads below the list feature be restored please? Apologies if I have missed a discussion on/explanation of this. Was away last week and for the last week of 2023 which probably hasn't helped.

2 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Sorry, I would have voted had I seen the relevant post.

Apropos of which, until about 3-4 weeks ago the 8 most active/most recently commented on  threads always used to come up below the main list of 50. That suddenly disappeared a few weeks ago, which means I click on activity instead to see the most recent posts but tend not to bother paging back through every post, since I last visited which means I have missed a few things recently.

If anyone in power is reading this, could the 8 top threads below the list feature be restored please? Apologies if I have missed a discussion on/explanation of this. Was away last week and for the last week of 2023 which probably hasn't helped.

Think that's Grim Reaper's wheelhouse. I'll shoot him a PM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You forgot the one vote for Tommy Smothers under the saddest death. @Lafaucheuse

4 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

You forgot the one vote for Tommy Smothers under the saddest death. @Lafaucheuse

I purposely omitted to list all the nominees in this category as they were quite numerous. Tommy Smothers was yours but we also had Benjamin Zephania, Steve Harwell and Len Goodman 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

Most socking?

You had to quote that entire long post including ten huge images in order to post two words?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1