7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Broke his wrist a month or two ago. They said he was fortunate to be able to ride in the Olympics.

Thank you, he participated very well, he was very competent and did a beautiful race, my cousin did jump and said it was one of the best races she saw

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Overused phrases #1- Goat.

Stop that now. Just stop it.

Womens cycle road race, which I appreciate I'm probably the only one watching, 14 uses of it in about a minute.

GOAT? STFU!

We'll be watching it once the golf is finished! There's chance of GB gold in them thar streets!

Oh, and the Goat thing, I hear you. Simone Biles really irritated me with her Goat necklace a couple of days ago. I mean, there's knowing you're good and shouting about it...

• Like 1

Silver for Tommy Fleetwood, undone by an incredible finish by Scottie Scheffler and a bogey on the 17th. Still a fine performance.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I'll stop swearing when you stop making so many allusions or double entendres to what you'd like to do to any male mentioned.

You know what, fair play. Deal.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Oh, and the Goat thing, I hear you. Simone Biles really irritated me with her Goat necklace a couple of days ago. I mean, there's knowing you're good and shouting about it...

I can't stand her. There's just something about her that arouses my dislike. And she sounds like a cartoon duck when she speaks.

Speaking of which, some of the commentators are excruciating to listen to.  I realise they're brought in for their sporting experience and knowledge, but some of them could do with a course of elocution lessons beforehand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

I can't stand her. There's just something about her that arouses my dislike. And she sounds like a cartoon duck when she speaks.

Speaking of which, some of the commentators are excruciating to listen to.  I realise they're brought in for their sporting experience and knowledge, but some of them could do with a course of elocution lessons beforehand.

I think Brits get pretty leery about the whole slushy ‘America’s darling’ schtick. And if you think our coverage is overly biased and jingoistic, you should try watching an Olympics over there. It’s unbearable. Hey, why haven’t any of our Yank members been active in this thread? Is there too much cunting swearing in it?

Belgian-Dutch mutual mistrust has given the women’s road cycling to USA. Haha.

4 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Belgian-Dutch mutual mistrust has given the women’s road cycling to USA. Haha.

Sort of. I don't know them or their styles as well as you might imagine, but afaik, those three have a sprint finish in them that Kristen Faulkner doesn't. So she had no choice but to go and 'time trial' it. They dithered for a few seconds and yes, blew it between them. Once that was done, there was the usual cat and mouse, and the 3 way photo finish shows they knew each others capabilities.

5 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Sort of. I don't know them or their styles as well as you might imagine, but afaik, those three have a sprint finish in them that Kristen Faulkner doesn't. So she had no choice but to go and 'time trial' it. They dithered for a few seconds and yes, blew it between them. Once that was done, there was the usual cat and mouse, and the 3 way photo finish shows they knew each others capabilities.

I’m surprised that commentators like Pendleton seem surprised. That’s often how the end of stages are won and lost, cat and mousing. I guess it holds true for medal races too. On the other hand, Remco was just a beast, way too strong.

6 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

if you think our coverage is overly biased and jingoistic

No, I don't. It's normal to highlight competitors from the home nation, especially when they have a reasonable chance of success.  That's where most viewers' interest will be focused.

I don't think the average person keeps up to date with world championships and other competitions, so are likely to know only a few foreign participants, mostly veterans of previous Olympics.

This doesn't mean they don't enjoy watching anyone else, but it's the Brits and the famous names that get them watching.

2 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I’m surprised that commentators seem surprised.

I think they're paid per superlative and by the octave. I'm not really a golf fan, but I'd love more of the Peter Alliss or even from cricket Richie Benaud style personally. As you mention above, those yanks are even worse when it's one of their own.

4 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

That’s often how the end of stages are won and lost, cat and mousing. I guess it holds true for medal races too.

Again, I'm not an expert, but yes. A great deal of it is due to what was mentioned above about wind resistance, hence team pursuits being such a thing, but true of all cycle racing in general.

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

No, I don't

I agree with both. Personally I find some overly so, and others not so much, but it's true that's where most peoples focus is. But even though I'm often there for 'our team'  I don't need it rammed down my fucking (ah yes, my deal....) throat

35 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm a bit like that, she irritated me in Rio, but this time around, given her issues in between, I can admire her resilience and her incredible levels of skill but she is very aware that she's the greatest gymnast in the world and doesn't mind telling us (abit like Djokovic actually).

I also understand what you mean about certificates experts, but, as you say, they're brought in for their expertise and achievements, not for their vocabulary and elocution. And we're supposed to embrace our regional diversity in dialect and language. :P The diving man irritates me. And Craig Heap in the gymnastics is VERY northern (and I say that as a northerner) but he is very knowledgable.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

And Craig Heap in the gymnastics is VERY northern (and I say that as a northerner) but he is very knowledgable.

I honestly thought they'd parachuted Johnny Vegas in for some bizarre reason!

• Haha 1

Just checked into Twitter. Fucking hell. The level of ignorance is astounding. A mix of people wondering why the BBC only has 2 streams and is providing rubbish coverage and lovers of particular sports outraged that the BBC aren't devoting all their coverage to that particular sport. Can't believe they left the most incredible mens gold medal match after the first set tie break for shooting and gymnastics! Can't believe they've cut away from the golf for cycling! Almost as if the Olympics is a multi-sport competition and we see the best bits of everything! What do people not understand about that?! :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Just checked into Twitter

Sadly twitter has no minimum IQ bar

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The level of ignorance is astounding.

9 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

outraged that the BBC aren't devoting all their coverage to that particular sport

10 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

What do people not understand about that?! :facepalm:

Sadly... oh nvm.

• Haha 2

And the award for most Fucking predictable news story of the Olympics goes to the Belgian triathlon mixed relay team pulling out of the event after one of their athletes contracted E-coli after the women's race :facepalm:

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I also understand what you mean about certificates experts, but, as you say, they're brought in for their expertise and achievements, not for their vocabulary and elocution. And we're supposed to embrace our regional diversity in dialect and language. :P The diving man irritates me. And Craig Heap in the gymnastics is VERY northern (and I say that as a northerner) but he is very knowledgable.

Oh, I don't mind regional accents, it's the tone, poor enunciation, speaking too fast.  High squealy voices in particular.  I don't know who I'm talking about because most of them are voiceovers and we don't see the faces.

But as an example, Denise Lewis is much kinder to my ears than Jessica Ennis.

Not going to see either OR or WR go down in this. Still interesting.

100m men's was won by 5000th of a second because 1 and 2 got same time.

Incredible Fucking race. The fastest ever times for the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth placed finishers in a 100m race.

• Like 5

Thompson lost it as much as Lyles won it. Tightened so much in the closing stages. Ridiculous race, incredibly close.

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Thompson lost it as much as Lyles won it. Tightened so much in the closing stages. Ridiculous race, incredibly close.

Aye, seems churlish to be criticising his performance given the time he ran, but totally agree - looked like he had gold for the taking in the semi final

11 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

100m men's was won by 5000th of a second because 1 and 2 got same time.

This has melted by fucking brain early on a Monday morning.

The race was won by five thousandths of a second - I think that is different to 5000th of a second - isn’t it? Or is it?

Please help! 

• Like 1