6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Understanding the Problem:

• We need to find the time taken for sound to travel from lane 1 to lane 9 on an athletics track.
  • We'll assume the starting gun is fired at the beginning of lane 1.

Key Information:

• Speed of sound: Approximately 343 meters per second in air at room temperature.
  • Distance between lanes: Typically, 1 meter.
  • Number of lanes to consider: 8 (from lane 1 to lane 9).

Calculation:

1. Total distance: 8 lanes * 1 meter/lane = 8 meters.
  2. Time taken: Distance / Speed = 8 meters / 343 meters/second ≈ 0.0233 seconds.

Therefore, it would take approximately 0.0233 seconds for the sound of the starting gun to travel from lane 1 to lane 9.

Note:

• This is a very simplified calculation and assumes ideal conditions. Factors like temperature, humidity, and wind can affect the speed of sound.
  • The actual perception of the sound by athletes might be influenced by other factors, such as the angle of the sound waves, noise levels, and individual hearing abilities.

It took me a little over 0.005 of a second to stuff your query into some AI which then came up with a far better answer than I did using my fingers and limited mental capacity. It was an interesting question to be sure. And yes, it would make a difference by the look of it.

Soon as you said AI produced the answer I combed through it. Never trust the shite. But this time it's correct.

Thing is, a good human reaction time is around 10x the 'sound advantage' given to lane 1, with a normal variation being around 2-3x said advantage. Arguably, that makes it negligible enough to ignore.

1 minute ago, TQR said:

Never trust the shite. But this time it's correct.

Nor me, particularly if you start asking it anything even vaguely political. It starts prevaricating and adding caveats like a genuine politician.

However on purely technical/mathematical topics it's relatively easy to sanity check. I can do the rough calc in my head, so if it's utterly wrong its obvious. I'm just too lazy to do the longhand.

• Like 1

GB’s Fucking cyclists need to up their game, quite honestly. They are churning out some great times but not living up to the results they’re clearly capable of. Disappointing women’s team pursuit loss there, pacing wasn’t the best.

Well I’m watching the dinghy thing and I’ve no idea what the fuck is going on. It seems like they’re all just pissballing about near the start line. Not even the commentators sound sure what’s happening. 6th place is next to 1st. Someone’s doing penalty donuts. There’re a vast array of flags being shown randomly.

Make it make sense.

8 minutes ago, TQR said:

Well I’m watching the dinghy thing and I’ve no idea what the fuck is going on. It seems like they’re all just pissballing about near the start line. Not even the commentators sound sure what’s happening.

It’s like a mass road rage incident in an M25 traffic jam on a Monday morning. Visually, it's one of the most pleasant sports.

• Like 1

And they've just abandoned the Fucking race after GB (somehow) managed to find his way into 2nd (?). This is absolute bollocks.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

GB’s Fucking cyclists need to up their game, quite honestly. They are churning out some great times but not living up to the results they’re clearly capable of. Disappointing women’s team pursuit loss there, pacing wasn’t the best.

They're starting at a massive disadvantage though. Katie Archibald's freak injury is a big blow, she's a machine in these events and her replacement isn't quite the same. In events like this, that can be the difference.

There’s a 51-year-old British man hanging around the skateboard park. Call the police!

edit: not to worry, he’s only a plastic Brit. Couldn’t we find a single decent young male skateboarder in these isles?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TQR said:

And they've just abandoned the Fucking race after GB (somehow) managed to find his way into 2nd (?). This is absolute bollocks.

Race re-run, we get 5 penalties and end up 10th out of 10. No medal. Nice one, judges. :clap:

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Race re-run, we get 5 penalties and end up 10th out of 10. No medal. Nice one, judges. :clap:

Quelle Putain de farce.

I couldn't tell what the difference was between circling around for penalties and what they were doing in the first place so gave up on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know what, fair play to Andy McDonald, 51-years-old, qualified for the Olympics, landed 3 clean runs (just fell off on the dismount of his first) and finished 18th out of 22 against kids half his age (one of those in his heat was a third his age). Living his dreams and he's now, forever, an Olympian. The crowd loved him.

• Like 4

Fair play, they gave absolutely everything, could've been a horrible finish, he could've taken them all out. Shows how on the limit they are. Another silver!

13 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Fair play, they gave absolutely everything, could've been a horrible finish, he could've taken them all out. Shows how on the limit they are. Another silver!

They didn't get gold so we'll probably scrap all their funding.

• Haha 4

Why do so many of these sportspeople sound like the Chipmunks when interviewed?  I don't know anyone IRL who talks like this.

Britain's Alastair Chalmers forgot to jump over one of the hurdles. Fortunately he was well beaten already so it didn't really matter.

Hall had a rocket up his arse in the last 25m. What the hell was that?

More silver. Drugs test, Damn Yanks :D

I'm getting a bit pissed off with all these Fucking silvers and bronzes now :D

I remember the days when athletics in the Olympics was a desert wasteland for GBNI.

Expectation high, brilliant run, silver is a great reward. Well done Hudson-Smith. Doing a lap of honour like he won it. :lol:

• Like 1

Someone just got knocked out in the steeplechase and is receiving medical attention.

Edit - Lamecha Girma got taken off in a stretcher.

BBC killed Matt's chances by their constant harping on about Eric Liddell and Chariots Of Fire.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Someone just got knocked out in the steeplechase and is receiving medical attention.

Edit - Lamecha Girma got taken off in a stretcher.

Just a thought, if anyone actually dies competing in these Olympics it'll have a worse fatality record than this year's TT Races

Who'd a thunk that, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1