Deb'sdead

Titanic Survivors

The memories of that night in April 1912 are still with me .... "Nearer my God to thee" being played as the ship sank, Kate Winslet floating about on a deckchair. It's as if it were only yesterday.

I too remember it well. I saw it with the fourth placed love of my life (at the time she was placed first, although in hindsight and with a new ranking system, she's dropped, sadly, a few spots). I sat there shuffling, squirming and biting my tongue right up to the bit when the old duck said "A woman's heart is more deeper and more mysterious than any ocean" (or similar). Before I knew it a loud "For fcuk's sake" had left my mouth. Needless to say 'fourth' smashed me one and all around was the sound of stiffled laughter and men's ribs being elbowed.

It wasn't a bad film really, if you cut the first 90 minutes down to about 10, lost the last half hour altogether and heavily edited the dialogue. Nah bugger it, cut all the dialogue, use the old fashioned billboards between scenes for the slow folk and have it accompanied by Notapotato's instrument.

Now that's entertainment.

It wasn't a bad film really, if you cut the first 90 minutes down to about 10, lost the last half hour altogether and heavily edited the dialogue. Nah bugger it, cut all the dialogue, use the old fashioned billboards between scenes for the slow folk and have it accompanied by Notapotato's instrument.

Now that's entertainment.

Have you ever thought of going into the movie business? You seem to have a natural flair.

:wub: i am sorry to inform you that the person you are looking for sunk that night on the titanic. I feel horrible to have to bear the news to you.

Thank you. That is very sad.

You don't happen to know what became of that priceless diamond necklace, by any chance, do you?

I do! The old lady threw it in the ocean!

Did anyone else notice that Rose's eyes changed colour in the film? Kate Winslet has brown eyes but the woman playing the old Rose had blue eyes. Maybe a side-effect of swooshing around in all that freezing water in the North Atlantic?

;) raider+Oct 7 2005, 09:35 AM-->

QUOTE(Tom(:D raider @ Oct 7 2005, 09:35 AM)
:wub: i am sorry to inform you that the person you are looking for sunk that night on the titanic. I feel horrible to have to bear the news to you.

Thank you. That is very sad.

You don't happen to know what became of that priceless diamond necklace, by any chance, do you?

I do! The old lady threw it in the ocean!

Very selfish of her. They should have ended the film with the old lady's grandchildren catching her about to do it, throwing her into the ocean, and having a big party paid for by the proceeds from selling the necklace.

If I were James Cameron, I would insist on filming it, just for a laugh.

Very selfish of her. They should have ended the film with the old lady's grandchildren catching her about to do it, throwing her into the ocean, and having a big party paid for by the proceeds from selling the necklace.

If I were James Cameron, I would insist on filming it, just for a laugh.

Maybe we need a new thread here - "Alternative Endings to Titanic". These Titanic films are all the bloody same - the ship always sinks.

I'd love to see a version where the captain decides to steer a course a bit further south to avoid the iceberg field. Then they would all arrive safely in America & live happily ever after. :wub:;)

I'd love to see a version where the captain decides to steer a course a bit further south to avoid the iceberg field. Then they would all arrive safely in America & live happily ever after.  ;)  :D

:wub: I'd like Jack to have survived, and within three weeks be farting in bed, leaving the toilet seat up, and not making Rose feel all magical and special any more. Then she would realise that she didn't like living with a scruffy layabout, and go back to America with the money.

I'd love to see a version where the captain decides to steer a course a bit further south to avoid the iceberg field. Then they would all arrive safely in America & live happily ever after.   ;)  :D

:wub: I'd like Jack to have survived, and within three weeks be farting in bed, leaving the toilet seat up, and not making Rose feel all magical and special any more. Then she would realise that she didn't like living with a scruffy layabout, and go back to America with the money.

What's happened in your life to make you so cynical?

Maybe we need a new thread here - "Alternative Endings to Titanic". These Titanic films are all the bloody same - the ship always sinks.

I'm sure Mel Gibson will do his interpretation of Titanic some day.

Its highly unlikely that the ship will sink in his historical dramatisation.

This is the man who decided against a battle scene with a bridge at the battle of Stirling Bridge.

This is the man who decided against a battle scene with a bridge at the battle of Stirling Bridge.

In Mel Gibson's "Braveheart" , a white Ford Transit Van can be seen in the backround during the battle scene at the end of the film.

I'm sure Mel Gibson will do his interpretation of Titanic some day.

Its highly unlikely that the ship will sink in his historical dramatisation.

To give a historically more authentic flavour to the ocean crosssing, the dialogue will be spoken in Old Norse.

regards,

Hein

Guest Henry

<random> Just a side note, the oldest survivor of the Titanic, Lillian Gertrude Asplund, lives on my fathers postal route, in Shresbury, MA. She will turn 99 in ten days. Currently she does seem to be going downhill in health, although until 2004, she remembered the shipwreck quite well. She refrains/ed from talking about it, as you know, half of her family died on the ship. A few months ago my dad actually saved her life, she broke her hip and couldnt call anyone for two days, he saw she didn't get her mail and found her.

</random>

<random> Just a side note, the oldest survivor of the Titanic, Lillian Gertrude Asplund, lives on my fathers postal route, in Shresbury, MA. She will turn 99 in ten days. Currently she does seem to be going downhill in health, although until 2004, she remembered the shipwreck quite well. She refrains/ed from talking about it, as you know, half of her family died on the ship. A few months ago my dad actually saved her life, she broke her hip and couldnt call anyone for two days, he saw she didn't get her mail and found her.

</random>

That post is likely to be a false one.

At 99 years old she is likely to be living in a old peoples' home, especially if she is as frail as the post suggests. At 99 I would imagine that if she were living independently, someone would check up on her daily so its unlikely that she would be left for two days on the floor.

</random>

Yes Lillian Gertrude Asplund will be 99 tomorrow,

If the above post is true, then she must be very frail.

Probably not famous enough for DeathList, but if she survives until '06 then a good DDP choice.

I agree there - If the DDP team wants the WW1 veterans

or the titanic survivors that's there buesness but as far

as the DL is concerned, there famousness meter doesn't

reach the potential. ;)

Guest jer boyce

as of april 15 2005 there were 5 survivors of the Titanic still alive

Lillian Gertrud Asplund (born 1906)

Barbara Joyce West (born 1911)

Eliza Gladys Milvina Dean (born 1912)

i am not sure if any of them are still living

Yes, what about the other 2?

Looking at these spring chickens - none of them in treble figures - I feel compelled to call off my unofficial competition between the Titanic and WW1 survivors. The old soldiers might number one more but they're a decade ahead of this lot age wise.

Then again, how about a Celebrity Big Brother style show, these three and the four old soldiers. Geriatric bonking in the jacuzzi followed by sitting around talking about the old days of gas lights and diptheria. All with the added spice that a contestant might suffer a fatal heart attack at any second.

It's a winner I tell you.

Perhaps for DDP the Titanic survivors may be a canidate worth while

but as far as i'm concerned they don't match DL - type fame.

They are in the same faimly as "The Worlds Oldest Man" or "WW2 veterans" :angel3:

Guest anonomys

someone asked why its mostly women....well its because they first filled the lifeboats with only women and children, the they filled the remaining lifeboats with men :wub::D:D:D

someone asked why its mostly women....well its because they first filled the lifeboats with only women and children, the they filled the remaining lifeboats with men  :D  :D  :D  :D

All smiles? So you laugh at things for no apparent reason?

Or actually there is an acception here. I once read a story

that there was a japense man who took one of the last spots

in one of the small boats.

When he went home to hiss country they laughed at him and

abused him. They said he was an absolute disgrace. From there

he had to leave his country and live elsewhere. :lol:

I doubt that story.

It's 1912, no white person would have allowed a Japanese man on the boat. Unless he had his face coverd.*

*I must stress this is my interpretation of the racial situation of the time and not my own personal view.

Guest Guest

i was on the titanic

i was on the titanic

As an extra in the movie?