weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

.. and on that note, there are now 79 survivors allegedly alive:

Alice Baker, last surviving female British WW1 veteran

Well that's creepy. Just the other night, when I was perusing that link, I said to myself, wow, I can't believe that a woman who served in WWI is still alive.

In that spirit:

"Wow, I can't believe Harold Pinter is still alive."

More WW1 veterans found.

WW1 vets are down to 77 now. One of the more notable ones has died - Frank Steer, who was the highest-ranked survivor, died last week.

No online obit, but the information comes from the same man who verifies the longetivity for the world records, so I'd say it was accurate.

Profile of him below.

Frank Steer Profiled

[Moved from the Titanic thread - ff]

Does that include free entry to nightclubs?

Only on Tuesday's when they do Bingo

What about Karaoke night?

I don't think it gets that exciting in Eastbourne

Pardon my being a Canucklehead, but what does it mean to be given the freedom of a town?

The possession of the rights and privileges of a freeman of the city; formerly often, and now occasionally, conferred on one not a resident, as a mark of honorary distinction for public services.

I remember one person telling me that they were once listed as having the freedom of the City of London. When I looked up the priviliges, apparently they were permitted to lead their cattle over London Bridge :banghead:

Henry Allingham is in hospital with Pneumonia, prevented him getting the freedom of Hastings yesterday. Maybe he's about to be set free forever.

I read somewhere a couple of days ago that Henry Allingham was in hospital, but is "expected to make a full recovery".

Edit: here's a link

He's 109, 'full recovery' here is a mind numbing concept. Can't see him being fit to fight Germans or have sex again. Presumably it means: one day he might be fit to go to the toilet on his own.

He's 109, 'full recovery' here is a mind numbing concept. Can't see him being fit to fight Germans or have sex again. Presumably it means: one day he might be fit to go to the toilet on his own.

I think this man is indestructible. A lot of elderly people don't survive chest infections, hell, I've seen under 60's go for the same reason. 109 & "doing fine" B)

I'm seriously considering taking him off my DDP 2007 "20", on which he remains at present.

Nobody is indestructable. Think about Duncan Edwards - majestic Manchester United captain of the fifties. Famed for perfect timing, strength and positioning and reckoned to be unstoppable in full flow.

It all went wrong when he got on a plane that took off at the wrong time, his positioning had him in a forward facing seat and his strength didn't match the impact on the runway.

Aye, but - metaphorically speaking - he's in the departure lounge.

More WW1 veterans found.

Can't be arsed to find where, but that's an old article that's already been posted.

Henry Allingham is in hospital with Pneumonia, prevented him getting the freedom of Hastings yesterday. Maybe he's about to be set free forever.

Maybe not. Apparentely stable and doing fine. Expected discharge in four days.

Wait... OK... so there's a Titanic Survivors thread, a WWI Veterans thread AND a Titanic Survivors VS. WWI Veterans thread?

This is all so painful for my Spring Break-soaked mind first thing in the morning. B)

Anyhow, to continue with the metaphor, I'd say he's in the departure lounge, but his flight might have just been delayed another year or two...

another year or two...

CP, the man is - like - 109!!! Put it this way, a while back my grandad turned 86, a few weeks later his razor broke. My dad bought him a new one. 'Why you giving me this?' asked my grandad, 'It's not me birthday or owt.'

'Aye,' sez my dad, 'but you're 86, it doesn't pay to hang around.'

I think some mad French scientist is cloning WW1 veterans.

Aye, but there's no reason why Allingham couldn't match Mercado del Toro for example age-wise. That would give our 'Enry another 5 years at least.

Anyway, two more have died recently, including Gergely Andras Molnar, the last Hungarian veteran. (There's no news report in English, I'm afraid). The total is now 76.

In terms of cloning veterans, I think Germany are. Every time their list goes under 8, they "magically" discover some more. :lol:

They had less veterans to start with, that war was a score draw until it went into time added by which point we were seeing their lot off very quickly.

I think it's a shame that they're suggesting a state funeral for the last one.

Just think how you'd feel if you were the family of the 2nd to last one to die.