weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Goldberg died 3 weeks ago and it's Charlotte WINTERS.

It's been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again - this, even though it's Wikipedia, seems to be the clearest list of who is left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_vet..._of_World_War_I

Total (verified, unverified & WWI era) is 59.

yes...but apart from Heny A. (who is a star !)...none of these blokes are worthy of a mention , are they ?

yes...but apart from Heny A. (who is a star !)...none of these blokes are worthy of a mention , are they ?

I'd personally say they were ALL worthy of mention, having fought or served in that war.

But if I get your gist correctly:-

Harry Patch is a man I have utmost respect for. Watching him on TV remember true horror is something you don't forget easily.

Robert Meier, the oldest German veteran, is the only survivor of the Somme.

Emiliano Mercado del Toro is the oldest person in the world.

A few others have been around & about in the last few years, like Claude Choules etc.

I'd personally say they were ALL worthy of mention, having fought or served in that war.

But if I get your gist correctly:-

Harry Patch is a man I have utmost respect for. Watching him on TV remember true horror is something you don't forget easily.

Robert Meier, the oldest German veteran, is the only survivor of the Somme.

Emiliano Mercado del Toro is the oldest person in the world.

A few others have been around & about in the last few years, like Claude Choules etc.

yes...sorry...I take that back . They are all clearly worth a mention...indeed they deserve our gratitude and admiration . But what I really meant was are they famous enough to merit a mention in terms of deadpool candidates ? Now you mention Harry Patch , I remember him on the tele too....amazing !

I did some more searching, and found an article from the Observer of a couple of months back, which quoted the World War One Veterans' Association as its source.

Apparently the British survivors are:

Henry Allingham, 110

Violet Bolaise, 106

Claude Choules, 105

Sydney Lucas, 107

Philip Mayne, 106

Harry Patch, 108

Bill Stone, 106

Will Young, 106

Guest Guest_weasel_*

Never thought when I started this post almost 2 years ago it would still be going....weird..

Never thought when I started this post almost 2 years ago it would still be going....weird..

These do tend to go for a while. I imagine it will run until the last veteran dies.

These do tend to go for a while. I imagine it will run until the last veteran dies.

To update: There are now 53 validated veterans living who served in the war. One of them of course is the oldest living person - Emiliano Mercado del Toro.

I did a future plot given the number of vet deaths each year since 1999.

The math says that 32 will die this year, 13 in 2008, 5 in 2009, and the last two vets will die in 2010.

We will see if that holds up.

Guest Guest

Just out of curiosity, my Grandfather was shot and gassed while fighting for the Canadians. In 1958, he broke his back, and while recovering in the hospital, a piece of shrapnel was loosened, and he died of a stroke. The Canadian government listed his cause of death as battle-related. Is there any way to tell if he was the last (or one of the last) fatalities of the war?

Thank you.

Tricky to call, My Grandfather was invalided out of the army in 1915 (thus fortunately missing the horror of The Somme) and his death could possibly be attributed to the injuries he suffered (he died in 1973) although there was no mention of it on his death certificate.

Guest Matthew Troy

You fought in WWI?

You just beat me to it - the deaths will have to slow down at some point - at this rate (5 a month), they will all be gone before December.

Another one dead.

American this time.

A third has died - France's Rene Riffaud.

Wait, France was in World War I? No way!

Just to put the record straight, the French mobilized 7,500,000 troops during the first world war and lost 1,385,000. Many of the bloodiest battles were fought on French soil, perhaps partly explaining their reluctance to enter into a further round of slaughter.

Just to put the record straight, the French mobilized 7,500,000 troops during the first world war and lost 1,385,000. Many of the bloodiest battles were fought on French soil, perhaps partly explaining their reluctance to enter into a further round of slaughter.

Also, may I add that the French lines often had the most success in moving forward during key battles.

Then again, they would have had very little to do with Douglas Haig.

Also, may I add that the French lines often had the most success in moving forward during key battles.

an oldie but a goodie (and not a Jade Goodie, either)

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

an oldie but a goodie (and not a Jade Goodie, either)

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Whilst on the subject, a few examples of acts of bravery can be found here. None of which, I fear, will be made into a Hollywood Blockbuster.

Guest Mark LV

I read somewhere that France conscripted the highest percentage of its eligible male population of any WW1 combatant - 79%. The women being conscripted into factories and farms to replace the men. The UK managed to put 5,500,000 men through the joys of the khaki uniform, only around 40% of eligible men, of which 745,000 were to depart the earthly plane. The Germans managed 70% recruitment, still less than France.