weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

I listened to this today - a living history project talking about America's WWI veterans. If you're interested, you can check it out here.

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_vet..._of_World_War_I

It appears that the latest birthdate of any of the veterans is 1901, which would entail a 17 year old age at 1918. Of course, there may have been younger veterans, but the number would be sufficiently low enough for none of them to live up to now. I think that 2010 might be the year when all WWI veterans die, unless someone pulls a Jeanne Calment.

Now, what of WWII? The number of people who fought in that war was far greater, such that I'm sure that the last veteran of that will be a child soldier by 1945. Probably in Germany, since it started recruiting mere boys to fight for their side once they got desperate. Assuming that the last substantial contingent of veterans were born in say, 1935 [not quite sure how substantial it is], perhaps we could establish with some certainty that the last one won't die before 2040; it's possible that we may see some live 100 years after the end of the war. But a lot of this is based on freak statistics => if it only turns out to be one person.

[Topics merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

Governor honours Florida's oldest veteran.

Ernest Pusey

Sadly, he has now died, less than 2 weeks after getting his honour.

Governor honours Florida's oldest veteran.

Ernest Pusey

Sadly, he has now died, less than 2 weeks after getting his honour.

I've just e-mailed Maryport council suggesting a parade to honour them all!

This is another great site for WW1 pics. Some very graphic images and interesting stories. It also includes news of a few living veterans plus an explanation of why there are so few images showing the war dead. Even now they are hidden to protect our sensibilities, just as the Iraq coverage does today. If more people saw what war really does perhaps there would be fewer willing to support it.

This is another great site for WW1 pics. Some very graphic images and interesting stories. It also includes news of a few living veterans plus an explanation of why there are so few images showing the war dead. Even now they are hidden to protect our sensibilities, just as the Iraq coverage does today. If more people saw what war really does perhaps there would be fewer willing to support it.

Good site, but some very grim pictures. I've only ever met one WW1 veteran, my great-grandmother's brother - I was 3 and he was something like 82. One of my great-grandfather's had his lungs thoroughly ruined in a gas attack and suffered ever-increasing ill health until he died in the 1950s. I'm sure most people know WW1 was an absolutely dreadful thing to experience, but they should see some of those pics to see just how bad it was.

Good site, but some very grim pictures. I've only ever met one WW1 veteran, my great-grandmother's brother - I was 3 and he was something like 82. One of my great-grandfather's had his lungs thoroughly ruined in a gas attack and suffered ever-increasing ill health until he died in the 1950s. I'm sure most people know WW1 was an absolutely dreadful thing to experience, but they should see some of those pics to see just how bad it was.

As a young reporter I did many golden weddings for the local newspaper and met lots of WW1 veterans. One chap had a horrific bayonette wound in his face that had taken out an eye. He didn't go out much. Another one had been hit over the head with a club in what is now Iraq and it had sent him a bit dippy. He had a live Mills grenade in his hearth. Then there was the chap on the market who sold shoe laces. He had no legs and sat on a tray with wheels.

He had no legs and sat on a tray with wheels.

I met that man on a pilgrimage to Lourdes, his friends pushed him in the healing waters and he came out with a set of new tyres!

I'll get me coat.

Russell A Buchanan an American WWI navy veteran.

Dead aged 106. :lol:

I wonder why he's getting so much press? Mostly when they go, they only get a news story in the local news, yet Buchanan has been getting it nationally and now... internationally?

Dead aged 106. :pop:

I wonder why he's getting so much press? Mostly when they go, they only get a news story in the local news, yet Buchanan has been getting it nationally and now... internationally?

He was one of just two WWI vets still alive in Massachusetts

Which makes even less sense. If he's not even the last of something, how come he's getting so much press? The last British female WWI veteran got almost no press aside from a few bits and kibbles in the UK. A lot of veterans who are the last of their area don't even get obit period. How did an otherwise unremarkable WWI veteran get coverage all the way over in England?

By the way, to keep on topic, it appears that Moses Hardy has died, though no newswire confirmation as of yet.

Which makes even less sense. If he's not even the last of something, how come he's getting so much press? The last British female WWI veteran got almost no press aside from a few bits and kibbles in the UK. A lot of veterans who are the last of their area don't even get obit period. How did an otherwise unremarkable WWI veteran get coverage all the way over in England?

By the way, to keep on topic, it appears that Moses Hardy has died, though no newswire confirmation as of yet.

I've not read the news report on him, perhaps he held a higher rank in the navy?

All I saw on the crawler on CNN was that he was one of two left alive in his state. But I've no idea why it would generate such news coverage

Whilst the US Boys get worldwide obits, including fawning from the Guardian, one of our brave lads gets just one obit - in the Telegraph - and nothing from the Guardian. How strange......

Kenneth Cummins, one of only 9 living UK veterans, has died

Wrongopedia to be updated shortly.

Total is believed, worldwide to be 57.

Here's a few survivors of World War I.

I guess there are so few of these guys left that they're all pretty much guaranteed an obituary in the UK papers.

1896 Henry Allingham - World War I veteran (and Europe's oldest man)

1899 Philip Mayne - Last surviving British Officer of World War I

1898 Harry Patch - The Last Tommy

1900 William Stone - World War I veteran

[Topics merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

Here's a few survivors of World War I.

I guess there are so few of these guys left that they're all pretty much guaranteed an obituary in the UK papers.

I think it might run a little deeper than that. :P

I'll personally raise a glass to each and every one of them. :)

Guest Guest

Being respectful, does anyone know if there is any way to know how many World War I veterans are still living? I haven't found a website which addresses this. Most vets from the "Big War" would be around 100 at this time. The last one around my area passed away like 8 years ago at age 97.

From research I've been doing for a veterans war memorial project I'm involved with, I have seen numbers from two to eight on this subject. I was not specificly searchig for that type of information at this time and can not actually confirm it for you, but I do recall seeing it somewhere. Just keep trying in any keyword venue you can think of. Good Luck! Praise The Vets!!!!!

Being respectful, does anyone know if there is any way to know how many World War I veterans are still living? I haven't found a website which addresses this. Most vets from the "Big War" would be around 100 at this time. The last one around my area passed away like 8 years ago at age 97.

From research I've been doing for a veterans war memorial project I'm involved with, I have seen numbers from two to eight on this subject. I was not specificly searchig for that type of information at this time and can not actually confirm it for you, but I do recall seeing it somewhere. Just keep trying in any keyword venue you can think of. Good Luck! Praise The Vets!!!!!

There are currently nine American WW I vets still living. They are Lloyd Brown, Frank Buckles, Russell Coffey, Samuel Goldberg, Emiliano Mercado del Toro, Antonio Pierro, Howard Ramsey, Albert Wagner and Charlotte Winter. Three expired within the last few months (Ernest Pusey, Moses Hardy and Russell Buchanan). They range in age from 106 to 115. I know of at least one Brit, Henry Allingham.

Goldberg died 3 weeks ago and it's Charlotte WINTERS.

It's been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again - this, even though it's Wikipedia, seems to be the clearest list of who is left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_vet..._of_World_War_I

Total (verified, unverified & WWI era) is 59.