weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Herman Solveen, Germany's oldest man and a WWI veteran has been removed off of the Surviving Veterans page on suspicion of having died in 2006, but the only proof I could find was an anonymous IP who changed the German wikipedia to reflect a new "oldest living man in Germany" and claimed Solveen was dead.

Likely true, but that's a far cry from actually being true.

Well whilst the Germans search for evidence regarding Solveen, the Italians decide to throw one in the mix just so they're not forgotten:-

Alberto Agazzi, 108, has died.

Down to 39 veterans now. Or just 30 if you count those who are actually verified.

Self-Confessed Warmonger At Large In Front of Impressionable Children, No Evidence of CRB Check, Shocker!!!

He spoke - but probably through some sort of ventriloquism. My theory that he is a corpse still survives. :(

They're still finding veterans, they're still finding film.

It seems like Germany's turn to lose most of its veterans - Albin Kaiser has died - pushing their total to just 4.

Even allowing for fakes & those that are WWI era veterans, the total is under 40. Those that actually FOUGHT in the war itself is extremely low now, no more than 15 of those left now. :blink:

It seems like Germany's turn to lose most of its veterans - Albin Kaiser has died - pushing their total to just 4.

Even allowing for fakes & those that are WWI era veterans, the total is under 40. Those that actually FOUGHT in the war itself is extremely low now, no more than 15 of those left now. :blink:

Hang in there Henry and Harry, we've got to defeat the Bosche in the longevity stakes.

Oh sh*t, I've got our two oldsters on a few deadpools, torn on my loyalties here.

There does seem to be one country we seem to miss out regarding possible survivors of the Great War...the Russians!

Any veterans? What about those Georgians, they last forever...

:blink:

There does seem to be one country we seem to miss out regarding possible survivors of the Great War...the Russians!

What about Turkey, Japan, maybe some Arabs who fought with Lawrence, the colonial troops, be they ANZAC, Indians, Africans.

What about Turkey, Japan, maybe some Arabs who fought with Lawrence, the colonial troops, be they ANZAC, Indians, Africans.

Turkey's last died a few years back. Japan has none left, all colonial troops are gone apart from one Australian and two Canadians. All the New Zealand lot have gone, and all those from the West Indies & North Africa.

However it is possible that there are some Arabs & Indians (indeed there was such a claim in one of Michael Palin's travelogues) alive, but finding evidence & tracking them down is virtually impossible.

Similiar to the Russians, but remember they had the revolution & a war in Finland as well, not to mention Stalin's purge, so it's certainly possible that they have none. The last two KNOWN ones died in 2005.

There MIGHT also be some Cubans etc, but it's virtually impossible to confirm.

The trouble is the language barrier, and evidence, and the werewithwal of the veterans themselves to make themselves known. I reckon there's more out there from the above countries & the countries we already have but, it's proving it that's difficult.

Turkey's last died a few years back. Japan has none left, all colonial troops are gone apart from one Australian and two Canadians. All the New Zealand lot have gone, and all those from the West Indies & North Africa.

However it is possible that there are some Arabs & Indians (indeed there was such a claim in one of Michael Palin's travelogues) alive, but finding evidence & tracking them down is virtually impossible.

Similiar to the Russians, but remember they had the revolution & a war in Finland as well, not to mention Stalin's purge, so it's certainly possible that they have none. The last two KNOWN ones died in 2005.

There MIGHT also be some Cubans etc, but it's virtually impossible to confirm.

The trouble is the language barrier, and evidence, and the werewithwal of the veterans themselves to make themselves known. I reckon there's more out there from the above countries & the countries we already have but, it's proving it that's difficult.

How many Yanks left?

How many Yanks left?

Latest is:

Ozzie Whingers: 1

Canucks: 2

Frogs: 5

Krauts: 4

Eyties: 6

Polish scroungers: 2

Slippery Finns: 2

Yanks: 9 (But only 3 confirmed)

and of those brave soldiers of the glorious motherland of Great Britain & Northern Ireland: 8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_vet..._of_World_War_I

Henry seems to be "with it" and strong. God bless him!

I refer the honourable Weasel to my somewhat controversial CPDP theme team, most of them deemed with it and strong, all of them over 100 and four of them now deceased. There's a crude law of probabilities applying here, the older you are the more likely you are to die, well, once you've passed the age of 10, statistically about as safe an age as there is. Henry's a loveable old soldier and a credit to this nation, but he's pushing 111.

I refer the honourable Weasel to my somewhat controversial CPDP theme team, most of them deemed with it and strong, all of them over 100 and four of them now deceased. There's a crude law of probabilities applying here, the older you are the more likely you are to die, well, once you've passed the age of 10, statistically about as safe an age as there is. Henry's a loveable old soldier and a credit to this nation, but he's pushing 111.

I can't even imagine being that old. Geez, I already forget where I left my car keys now at 51.

Researcher Robert Young has apparentely found another veteran, a German, who is living in the United States, which brings the total number of verified veterans back up to twenty-nine.

A nice change of pace given all the ones that have dropped off lately.

Today's Times reports that Henry Allingham, 'the sole survivor of the battle of Jutland', was at the Oval yesterday for the match between Surrey and Warwickshire. He didn't see much in the way of good cricket, unfortunately. The paper mentions that he saw WG Grace at the same ground over 100 years ago.

Just an idea, like, do you think, when we're down to 2 or 3 survivors, somebody might - like - clone one of them. I mean, this thread would last as long as Dickie O's if that happened.

and of those brave soldiers of the glorious motherland of Great Britain & Northern Ireland: 8.

May be a daft question, but if that figure is just GB & NI, then what about those living in what is now the Republic of Ireland?

May be a daft question, but if that figure is just GB & NI, then what about those living in what is now the Republic of Ireland?

There is one fellow though, Dan Keating, who fought in a WWI era war, that being the one for Irish Independence. Keating was shooting at the English as long ago as 1919.

Correct me If i'm wrong, but I vaguely recall seeing a war memorial in Cork to the fallen of 1914-1921, including some who were killed in the war against the British that followed. I was, however, very drunk at the time.

There is one fellow though, Dan Keating, who fought in a WWI era war, that being the one for Irish Independence. Keating was shooting at the English as long ago as 1919.

Ah, yes. Oddly I landed on his Wiki article a while back while reading about Republican Sinn Fein.

I may disagree with his methods and politics, but I have to admire him for standing up for what he believes in at such a grand old age:

To this day he refuses to accept a state pension because he considers the 26-county Republic of Ireland an illegitimate state which usurped the 1916 Irish Republic. In 2002 he refused the state's standard €2,500 award to centenarians from president Mary McAleese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Keating

Oh, he's 105, by the way!