weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Thanks Football Fan. I check in every once in a while and view the thread and check out the list. I am so busy I don't have time to listen to the news...I did hear today that the lead singer for the band "Boston" passed away.

Henry Allingham talks to children and becomes a podcast.

Seems to be doing well for himself.

Also on topic, after 15 deaths in January and February, only one known WWI Vet has died in March thusfar (or at least, as far as is known), and he was previously unknown (at least to Wikipedia) and his service record is questionable at that. That makes a total of 16 deaths - half of W90's prediction - and we're not even a quarter through the year.

This guy knows what it is to make something out of life, and he drank his whiskey, ran around with wild women, and smoked through decades and decades. I don't know if this Mr.Allingham still can get these things going everyday, I mean the elderly can drink whiskey, and SPAM was invented. And Jean C smoked till she was 117 and somebody's sense of humor can last forever, so that leaves me to think that if you aren't having a good time, then life isn't worth living for you. So if your lonely or if you are sad, keep your head up and have a good time because suffering is not what life is all about. And if your lucky, you'll be around for a while.

Apparently, according to the discussion page on Wiki, US veteran Lloyd Brown is in hospital "and in a bad way" (and this comes from a reliable source). If he lasts til the 31st, it might be worth a consideration for the WDP.

Apparently, according to the discussion page on Wiki, US veteran Lloyd Brown is in hospital "and in a bad way" (and this comes from a reliable source). If he lasts til the 31st, it might be worth a consideration for the WDP.

...but does a paragraph in the discussion page count as a 'valid article on the English Wikipedia'?

...but does a paragraph in the discussion page count as a 'valid article on the English Wikipedia'?

Lloyd appears to be one of the surviving vets without an article on Wikipedia unfortunately. However, any of the other vets with articles - there 17 with articles - would qualify. A theme team of 10 ww1 vets probably would be a good idea considering that they are dropping at such a rapid rate this year.

Lloyd appears to be one of the surviving vets without an article on Wikipedia unfortunately. However, any of the other vets with articles - there 17 with articles - would qualify. A theme team of 10 ww1 vets probably would be a good idea considering that they are dropping at such a rapid rate this year.

On that note then, don't include Charlotte Winters, US veteran, as she is dead.

Just in time indeed! I imagine all of the vets on the page will get an article at some point.

and no, I had nothing to do with it, honestly. I think it's been prepped up for when he dies.

...which, according to the article, happenned earlier today. Yet to see an actual obituary, however.

and no, I had nothing to do with it, honestly. I think it's been prepped up for when he dies.

...which, according to the article, happenned earlier today. Yet to see an actual obituary, however.

Presto!

And he's out - we're now down to 34. Since 18 vets have already died as of now, we should have approximately -20 veterans left by the end of the year. :lol:

And he's out - we're now down to 34. Since 18 vets have already died as of now, we should have approximately -20 veterans left by the end of the year. :crossbone:

....at this rate there may be none!

And he's out - we're now down to 34. Since 18 vets have already died as of now, we should have approximately -20 veterans left by the end of the year. :lol:

....at this rate there may be none!

Well actually at this rate there would be -20.

No idea how that works exactly...

He is now dead.

Lloyd Brown dead at 105

Charlotte Winters is no longer a former doughgirl.

Charlotte Winters is no longer a former doughgirl.

The very same Charlotte Winters who was mentioned 4 days ago

One Polish veteran has died (or so that's what they tell me that article means) and rumour has it that another one on the Wiki list died ages ago...

One Polish veteran has died (or so that's what they tell me that article means) and rumour has it that another one on the Wiki list died ages ago...

Which one is that then, Kowalski or Wycech? I couldn't see any mention of it on the discussion page on Wiki.

Which one is that then, Kowalski or Wycech? I couldn't see any mention of it on the discussion page on Wiki.

Actually I am mistaken. They were discussing a potential candidate that may have died: Józef Piotrowski. Same first name as Kowalski, got them mixed up. :ph34r:

and confirmation also came today from the doyen of UK WWI veterans, Dennis Goodwin, that Violet Bolaise also died recently (and in any case isn't a WWI veteran).

So, two dead in a day, effectively, both British. This means fellow Brit Gladys Powers IS the last surviving female veteran of WWI.

This means fellow Brit Gladys Powers IS the last surviving female veteran of WWI.

I thought the last female British WW1 veteran died last year?

This means fellow Brit Gladys Powers IS the last surviving female veteran of WWI.

I thought the last female British WW1 veteran died last year?

She did, then they "discovered" a new one. Either that or it was sloppy journalism - probably the latter as when Charlotte Winters died, the US journos (and the Guardian who just copied the press release) crowed that SHE was the last.