weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Being respectful, does anyone know if there is any way to know how many World War I veterans are still living? I haven't found a website which addresses this. Most vets from the "Big War" would be around 100 at this time. The last one around my area passed away like 8 years ago at age 97.

Australia lost their las WWI vet in 2006

Being respectful, does anyone know if there is any way to know how many World War I veterans are still living? I haven't found a website which addresses this. Most vets from the "Big War" would be around 100 at this time. The last one around my area passed away like 8 years ago at age 97.

Australia lost their las WWI vet in 2006

No, because we still have John Campbell Ross.

So we have went a month without any other WWI vets passing away?

All the operations they did on horses and sheep in the trenches gave them a long life

Henry Allingham wins Special Recognition Award at the Daily Mirror's Pride of Britain Awards 2007

The anonymous French veteran is anonymous no more. Or living, for that matter.

It's all in foreign.

Heathen jabber.

Heathen jabber.

Devon just out of curiosity 'do you have a terrorist beard?

No Banshees, I don't own any sort of beard.

Anyway how do you define 'terrorist beard'? Do you mean an Osama style full covering or one of those wispy chin numbers sported by the Bali bombers? Jihad offers a wealth of possibilities in the facial furniture department.

Keeping on topic, here's a photo of Harry Patch out and about. I thought for a moment that the gentleman in the wheelchair next to him had gone over a landmine, but upon further examination it appears the red blobs are actually poppies.

_44202349_203patchb.jpg

Guest Justice In Homosapien Anatomy Di
Heathen jabber.

Devon just out of curiosity 'do you have a terrorist beard?

No Banshees, I don't own any sort of beard.

Anyway how do you define 'terrorist beard'? Do you mean an Osama style full covering or one of those wispy chin numbers sported by the Bali bombers? Jihad offers a wealth of possibilities in the facial furniture department.

Or perhaps your beard sports a rucksuck and has desires to blow your chin up owing to your body's desire not to give independence to your right nostril? ;)

Keeping on topic, here's a photo of Harry Patch out and about. I thought for a moment that the gentleman in the wheelchair next to him had gone over a landmine, but upon further examination it appears the red blobs are actually poppies.

Something like the ancient Egyptians.

Not the Osama style, more like one of those bomber chin beards. Now don't get get me wrong, I'm not calling you a terrorist but I do see you as 'the typical ecstasy dealer'

Anyway back on topic

I didn't realize that Harry Patch could still go outside.

I saw the Syd Lucas interview last night.

Bit of a cheat really, he was called up in 1918, was sent to Derby to train, went to Yorkshire to join his batallion and...err.... the war ended.

The beeb interviews five World War I veterans.

The beeb interviews five World War I veterans.

HOLY CRAP.

They are THE five remaining veterans of Britain remaining. (or actually 5 of 6, the other one in Canada).

It's amazing that none of them failed to show up on account of ill health.

Henry Allingham must be getting tired of all of these interviews :lol:

Piss-poor research though - the man is 109.

While we're on the topic, however, here's some recent video footage of two of the Italian vets - Battista Serioli and Delfino Borroni. Unless you speak Italian, you're SOL for understanding what they're going on about, but it provides a nice visual.

For those of you willing to risk the high possibility of no obits for a few DDP points, here's some veteran updates for December (complete list here) Allingham, the oldest, is now in a rest home due to failing sight, but is otherwise very healthy, mentally and physically and still gets out and about occassionaly. Lazare Ponticelli has been suffering from bronchitis recently, but it is hoped that he will pull through to reach his 110th birthday in a week's time. Patch as you saw above, is getting out and about, not particularly a surprise either. Borroni I have no idea about, although he looks awfully terrible in the above video. Russell Coffey is being medicated to keep him asleep most of the time, and a visitor said that, given the look of him, he's unlikely to make his 110th birthday. Harry Richard Landis is supposedly very healthy and feisty, claiming something along the lines of "they'll have to shoot me to get rid of me!" John Babcock, the Canuck, is doing excellent. Very lucid and healthy at his 107th birthday from the available video footage. Battista Serioli's condition supposedly deteriorated rapidly after his 107th birthday, though I don't know exactly what that entails. Stanisław Wycech was still giving interviews, at least a few months ago.

The rest of the Brits can be viewed in the video posts a few up. Hopefully that gives a fairly decent picture of the vets as they stand.

From the point of view of deadpool points Coffey would be a hard call. His vet status might - just - get the required point scoring obit but on a busy news day he'd be a long shot. He never left the USA, he was only a few weeks in uniform when the war ended. Might be a winner in the DDP where a small paragraph in a broadsheet would be good enough for points, in any case he's likely to get good US coverage on death including the NY Times.

Lazare Ponticelli has been suffering from bronchitis recently, but it is hoped that he will pull through to reach his 110th birthday in a week's time.

Ponticelli was confirmed as having made it to supercentenarian status this month. Another Italian veteran, Carmelo Bertolami, who was to turn 107 on December 8th, was not so lucky. No link yet, unless you're bored enough to sign up and read this.

In the true spirit of December deathpooling, Coffey has up and died before December 31st and saved everyone the trouble of seeking a BBC obit.

In the true spirit of December deathpooling, Coffey has up and died before December 31st and saved everyone the trouble of seeking a BBC obit.

I'd ruled him out of my teams on the basis of his being unlikely to get a UK obit, tomorrow's papers will be interesting.

I'd ruled him out of my teams on the basis of his being unlikely to get a UK obit, tomorrow's papers will be interesting.

Not that it matters as he wasn't picked in either 2007 or 2008, but he's already got obits from the BBC, Channel 4, , and quelle surprise, The Guardian so that saves you having the read the turgid rags that make up most of our national newspapers.

Not that it matters as he wasn't picked in either 2007 or 2008, but he's already got obits from the BBC, Channel 4, , and quelle surprise, The Guardian so that saves you having the read the turgid rags that make up most of our national newspapers.

I'm pretty surprised. He got more coverage than some of the UK veterans that went this year and most that went last year.

Battista Serioli's condition supposedly deteriorated rapidly after his 107th birthday, though I don't know exactly what that entails.

Apparently it entails death, or at least that's how the unconfirmed rumours are going, saying he died on December 22. If so, it does bring Italy out of a bit of a quandary. Italy only "recognizes" veterans who served in the war for six months are more. Serioli was the last of those who fought in the war (as far as is known) that didn't make the six month cut off point. So if he is dead, and no others are discovered, the Italy is guaranteed that its last veteran is an "official" one.

I just read a news bite that talked about the current oldest living world war one vet had died at 109 about a week ago.

There are two US VETS from that war legt one is 108 and the other 106 I wish I knew there names, sorry but it was on yahoo.com news.

LOSTSOUL

This wiki page should tell you you're thinking about Frank Buckles and Harry Landis, there's also one Canadian vet living in the USA. Makes a pleasant change from the tide of draft dodgers heading in the other direction eh?