Guest IYG

Holiday Thread

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Man said:

And I'm back from my trip to Italy! Spent time with my family, we stayed at the Agritorismo Il Pioppeto alot. Also spent a day at the beach in Gaeta on Tuesday, and seeing Herculeum and Pompeii on Thursday. Spent Saturday all night partying at my cousin's wedding in Foggia.

Isn’t Pompeii amazing? I’d love to go back. Maybe next time I’ll take in Herculeum too. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Isn’t Pompeii amazing? I’d love to go back. Maybe next time I’ll take in Herculeum too. 

Ah mon ami. Lovely this time of year, is it not?

The best ever Poirot actor has been revealed - as voted by you! - British  Period Dramas

• Like 3

Currently in Montenegro, was in Kotor, now Podgorica. Too rainy today, sadly, about to take the night train to Belgrade. Hoping to solve a murder case on the train.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Labvakar from Rīga!

What the hell am I doing in Latvia? Fantastic question. I still don't have a job LOL. Externally I might seem a little insane, but I've never felt better mentally. Tomorrow night I'll be in Estonia (shout-out to @Eesti). I'm all alone with a tiny backpack, a Monzo card, and a dodgy goatee. Lots of mischief ahead, no doubt.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Labvakar from Rīga!

What the hell am I doing in Latvia? Fantastic question. I still don't have a job LOL. Externally I might seem a little insane, but I've never felt better mentally. Tomorrow night I'll be in Estonia (shout-out to @Eesti). I'm all alone with a tiny backpack, a Monzo card, and a dodgy goatee. Lots of mischief ahead, no doubt.

Make the most of your trip, you must definitely be having a lot of fun.

• Like 2

On 19/11/2023 at 23:30, Clorox Bleachman said:

Labvakar from Rīga!

So did you get to Estonia? How was the trip?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eesti said:

So did you get to Estonia? How was the trip?

82179979_Screenshot_20231130-1936442.thumb.png.ee586e396d4228ead85901283401210f.png

Awesome country, you're very lucky!

Unfortunately I only had 2 nights in Estonia but I managed to get to Pärnu, Tallinn, Tartu and Valga. It snowed constantly, apart from when this picture was taken (and yeah, I took it myself because I had no mates, the shame). This was great because snow is great. I want to revisit Tallinn and Tartu, with more time and company.

I knew nothing about the Baltics before going but wanted to fully immerse myself. At one point I made Texan friends but patched them because they only wanted to eat Tex-Mex food. Now feel like I can call myself cultured, classy, and just better than everyone else. B)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

82179979_Screenshot_20231130-1936442.thumb.png.ee586e396d4228ead85901283401210f.png

Awesome country, you're very lucky!

Unfortunately I only had 2 nights in Estonia but I managed to get to Pärnu, Tallinn, Tartu and Valga. It snowed constantly, apart from when this picture was taken (and yeah, I took it myself because I had no mates, the shame). This was great because snow is great. I want to revisit Tallinn and Tartu, with more time and company.

I knew nothing about the Baltics before going but wanted to fully immerse myself. At one point I made Texan friends but patched them because they only wanted to eat Tex-Mex food. Now feel like I can call myself cultured, classy, and just better than everyone else. B)

You should visit my hometown and the summer capital Pärnu in summer. Then the place is really amazing. Tallinn is good to visit any time of year. Also I suggest to go to Saaremaa in summer. 

• Like 2

As posted in the shadow list thread, I'll be away from home for a week or so to visit (some of) my partner's family. Looking forward to the time in Finland, I'm not sure if I'll be online/posting in the meantime. So I'd like to wish all of you a happy new year in advance, all the best to my fellow forum users :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

As posted in the shadow list thread, I'll be away from home for a week or so to visit (some of) my partner's family. Looking forward to the time in Finland, I'm not sure if I'll be online/posting in the meantime. So I'd like to wish all of you a happy new year in advance, all the best to my fellow forum users :)

Have a good trip and I hope your stay there is excellent and fun, happy new year too

My Christmas holiday sucked because I got COVID. Definitely on the mend now anyway.

• Sad 1

Tomorrow, I’ll be on a plane. LHR -> SIN -> SYD. Couple of days in Sydney then off to New Zealand. Third time there, first time on the South Island. Will be back in the UK on 14th Feb. This holiday has come not a moment too soon!

• Like 7
  • Facepalm 1

2hrs down the road from Sydney, you find the Australian capital. No capital city is as spacious, modern, green, clean and serene as Canberra. Almost disappointed to be off to NZ tomorrow. From Mt Ainslie, Canberra at a distance:

IMG_8704.thumb.jpeg.4326d40fd4de629e27710c5f56ce353a.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

Been in Queenstown the last few days. Believe it or not, this is NZ’s idea of a major city. 

IMG_8852.thumb.jpeg.279ebf5ab6f7a52c1af3f78d52722776.jpeg

IMG_8851.thumb.jpeg.fd80cb336109916d04dd609b1bde6e18.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

As someone who's a bit of a misanthrope, New Zealand's always appealed to me with its emptiness and wide open spaces. Unfortunately, the only barrier for me is surviving a twelve hour plane flight in close proximity with strangers (and their kids)... 

1 hour ago, Sod's Law said:

As someone who's a bit of a misanthrope, New Zealand's always appealed to me with its emptiness and wide open spaces. Unfortunately, the only barrier for me is surviving a twelve hour plane flight in close proximity with strangers (and their kids)... 

12 hours?   It took us a total of 37 hours to get there (24 hours on the planes in total) Where are you flying from? 

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

12 hours?   It took us a total of 37 hours to get there (24 hours on the planes in total) Where are you flying from? 

I kinda meant being stuck on a single flight as opposed to all connecting flights. I'm not a fan of flying though (especially long distance) so that sounds even worse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sod's Law said:

I'm not a fan of flying

Abhor it, for the same reasons, so..

..Never going to happen.

I'll spend the money on increasingly bigger TV sets at increasing definition, let others do the plane thing and view the results. 

Also, greener (not sure exactly how big a tv over what period produces the same carbon as one seat on a plane for 24k miles but suspect it'd be Wembley Stadium replay sized 24/7 for a year before it outpaces the jet. If then).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

I kinda meant being stuck on a single flight as opposed to all connecting flights. I'm not a fan of flying though (especially long distance) so that sounds even worse. 

Our flights were 12h from Heathrow to Singapore, 7.5h from there to Sydney, 2.5h from there to Queenstown. Honestly, for the sake of that inconvenience, it's really worth it. For the long haul flights if you tire yourself right out before them you'll likely sleep through a lot of it anyway. I spent most of the flight working because I'm sad.

• Facepalm 1

Famous Wānaka tree, Lake Wanaka. About an hour from central Queenstown.

IMG_8888.thumb.jpeg.834a12c9b8a954529379537b260d85ea.jpeg

IMG_8883.thumb.jpeg.6c9eb3f6c9871745fc7163ef53dad40a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Top of Roy’s peak. Tough walk. Think we both overestimated our fitness a tad. God it was worth it, though.

IMG_8957.thumb.jpeg.12e3f98144c4790a0e860b13bde7c60c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Now in slightly more rural NZ, down coast from Dunedin. By my reckoning, I’m currently one of the southernmost 0.005% of people in the world. Sunset was nice.

IMG_9049.thumb.jpeg.fc282610357bf90e71307b1d5ab27241.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Now in slightly more rural NZ, down coast from Dunedin. By my reckoning, I’m currently one of the southernmost 0.005% of people in the world. Sunset was nice.

IMG_9049.thumb.jpeg.fc282610357bf90e71307b1d5ab27241.jpeg

What a dump!

• Haha 2

Just been here, south of the south. The waves are fierce.

IMG_9087.thumb.jpeg.b819611ffc2aaa8cb8dd86796efd87fd.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

It’s very rare I’m happier than when I’m walking through a rainforest. Especially when it has a raging torrent flowing through it.

IMG_9244.thumb.jpeg.3ae79a64bad8f93e92ef3d92e658eef0.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1