Tempus Fugit

Renowned Mountaineers, Feeling Peaky?

From the article

He is said to be a man with "either insanely good luck" or a direct "connection with God".

Looks like that "connection with God" is about to become a lot more personal :huh:

From the article
He is said to be a man with "either insanely good luck" or a direct "connection with God".

Looks like that "connection with God" is about to become a lot more personal :P

:huh:

Hmm.. walking in the hills..

Perhaps it could be a new thread: "Things to do whilst actively seeking death".

Doesn't mean the thread is a total wipe out though. C'mon people. How many mega famous climbers are alive and ancient?

Isn't Edmund Hilary still alive?

A bit like the surviving F1 drivers discussed hereabouts these people have a high mortality rate at work and a hell of a life span if they survive their careers. So there must be a few out there, old and about ready to fall off the mountain for good.

At least it'll give us SUMMIT to talk about, arf!

Leo Houlding , the British speed climber is worth keeping an eye on. Sooner or later, no doubt, he'll do a Dano Osman.

Kisoi Munyao, Africa's most famous mountaineer and once a national hero, has died in poverty in Kenya. Obviously not much money in mountaineering.

Kisoi Munyao, Africa's most famous mountaineer and once a national hero, has died in poverty in Kenya. Obviously not much money in mountaineering.

Have you seen Chris Bonnington's house, only a few miles from Doug Scott's similarly well appointed dwelling? Some impressive wheels often seen outside chateau Bonnington at the north end of the Lake District.

Not much money in AFRICAN climbing, obviously.

Edmund Hillary hospitalised after falling (at home, not off a large mountain)

Bruce Bennett, Kurt Vonnegut, now Sir Edmund Hillary. What a terrible way for an otherwise healthy person to go. Even with that WWI Veteran, Robert Meier, same thing.

Still, I suppose there'd be a bit of irony to be the first man to climb the world's tallest mountain and then die because you couldn't climb your front step...

Ernest Hofstetter, who was nearly the first man to climb Everest, the year before Sir Edmund Hillary,has died at the age of 95.

Ernest Hofstetter, who was nearly the first man to climb Everest, the year before Sir Edmund Hillary,has died at the age of 95.

It's a shame he's forever stuck with the 'nearly' tag. I doubt that Hillary and Tenzing were the first to stand on the summit but there's no doubt they were the first to make it back down.

Edmund Hillary is struggling to recover from his fall a couple of months ago. He didn't make a recent dinner party with the Dalai Lama, a spokesman for His Holiness said:

He is too ill to move

His family say he is fine, but it's rare that a family member says "He's dying" or "I doubt he'll see Christmas" or "He's got a mountain to climb"

He'd be a good pick for DL 2008. BTW, Whenever I think of Edmund Hillary, I simultaenously think of the song "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush, have done for years.

That'll be all.

Edmund Hillary is struggling to recover from his fall a couple of months ago. He didn't make a recent dinner party with the Dalai Lama, a spokesman for His Holiness said:

He is too ill to move

His family say he is fine, but it's rare that a family member says "He's dying" or "I doubt he'll see Christmas" or "He's got a mountain to climb"

He'd be a good pick for DL 2008. BTW, Whenever I think of Edmund Hillary, I simultaenously think of the song "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush, have done for years.

That'll be all.

;)

Ah that elderly standby, the 'fall'.....how many have been slain by this condition?

Guest Emu

Edmund Hillary hospitalised after falling (at home, not off a large mountain)

Bruce Bennett, Kurt Vonnegut, now Sir Edmund Hillary. What a terrible way for an otherwise healthy person to go. Even with that WWI Veteran, Robert Meier, same thing.

And Rod Hull. ;)

He is too ill to move

That'll be all.

;)

Ah that elderly standby, the 'fall'.....how many have been slain by this condition?

Derek Nimmo too and he wasn't that elderly.

Already mentioned the man on the missing in action thread, Wiki page confirming that the Gardai are looking for Michael Reardon's body. He was seen to be hit by a rogue wave. His wife and daughter are heading for Ireland. Doubt they'll have a go at that sea cliff, mind.

Already mentioned the man on the missing in action thread, Wiki page confirming that the Gardai are looking for Michael Reardon's body. He was seen to be hit by a rogue wave. His wife and daughter are heading for Ireland. Doubt they'll have a go at that sea cliff, mind.

IMHO someone who takes no regard for their life and undertakes irresponsible death defying pursuits without safety equipment does not deserve the Irish taxpayers money being spent searching for their body. What I really can't understand is why someone with a family to consider would risk their life for a quick adrenalin fix. Junkie really is the right word.

So taking this into perspective you are insulting a dead person with the penalty of selfishness and you actually are branding them a junkie which I'm debating with myself in all ways possible of how that could be true?

Monoclinic this person is dead. THEY ARE DEAD BITCH! They can't be a junkie because a junkie is a living person addicted to a substance. The examples I can give you are heroin and crack cocaine.

A dead person can not obtain these substances because they are no longer living. That's science.

And who cares if they look for the body? It's a body. A body without life could be compared to furniture or luxuries from Kay jewelers such as diamonds only they aren't worth as much. It's an object with little personality like a vegetable or a potato for example.

IMHO someone who takes no regard for their life and undertakes irresponsible death defying pursuits without safety equipment does not deserve the Irish taxpayers money being spent searching for their body. What I really can't understand is why someone with a family to consider would risk their life for a quick adrenalin fix. Junkie really is the right word.

Obviously I have to make myself clearer.

1. I was talking about him when he was alive being an adrenalin junkie, unable to stop doing dangerous pursuits. If you have children you have a responsibility not to go and get yourself killed climbing a cliff face without ropes, helmet etc. The drug of his chice was adrenalin which he created himself in such situations as climbing a cliff face without ropes, helmet etc.

2. I don't think the money that the Irish pay in tax should be spent looking for his body as he was irresponsible enough to get himself killed climbing a cliff face without ropes, helmet etc.

3. It is my humble opinion. Though on your logic a person who was addicted to heroin who then dies of an overdose cannot be branded a junkie because they are dead.

Very low intelligent in my view. This man had children and he was doing these death orientated stunts for what? More adrenalin? Kicks? Did it give him confidence?

2. I don't think the money that the Irish pay in tax should be spent looking for his body as he was irresponsible enough to get himself killed climbing a cliff face without ropes, helmet etc.

Right but he has a family and regardless of his decisions as an individual they aren't going to be obnoxious enough to reject the idea and say f**k his body. To be completely honest I don't see what difference it makes.

This is the deathlist at its worst. Here's a bloke living life to the full, gets knocked in to the sea by a wave. It was bad luck. All this stuff about irresponsibility etc is bollocks and sour grapes because none of you had him in your dead pools. Neither did I, but the point I'm making is that we need people like Reardon. We have to track them. I would keep an eye on Lewis Pugh, the man who swam at the North Pole. He'll push himself just too far one day.

So taking this into perspective you are insulting a dead person with the penalty of selfishness and you actually are branding them a junkie which I'm debating with myself in all ways possible of how that could be true?

Monoclinic this person is dead. THEY ARE DEAD BITCH! They can't be a junkie because a junkie is a living person addicted to a substance. The examples I can give you are heroin and crack cocaine.

A dead person can not obtain these substances because they are no longer living. That's science.

And who cares if they look for the body? It's a body. A body without life could be compared to furniture or luxuries from Kay jewelers such as diamonds only they aren't worth as much. It's an object with little personality like a vegetable or a potato for example.

Am I the only person to notice that BS is calling Monoclinic a bitch? Maybe I am overreacting, but that's uncalled for and unacceptable BS, do it again and you get a warning. If I have read this out of context, please feel free to correct me.

• Like 1