maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

52 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The Shins most popular song (New Slang) has over 110 million plays on Spotify. That might be a clue...

Those 5 guys in Oregon really like listening to them...a lot...ha..

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

The Shins most popular song (New Slang) has over 110 million plays on Spotify. That might be a clue...

Additionally, Swift wasn't on New Slang. Released 2004...Swift joined the band in 2011 by the looks of it.

Edit: Anyhow, my point wasn't aimed at Swift's fame, notability or otherwise. The Guardian Obit was only to be expected, I love the fact they cater not only for mass music but niche.

But for the UK tabloid press to laud Swift with a death notice as though the majority of the population should be in mourning is quite quite wrong. They wrap themselves in the Union Jack, shout "Get on with Brexit!", commemorate every "British" victory from Magna Carta to the 1966 World Cup and beyond, and yet their coverage of local celebrity in the arts is restricted.

That's why you see so many tweets from folk going "I did not know such and such had died X years ago, I just found out and I'm devastated"...it's a judgement call. Maybe, just maybe instead of calling this forum sick and twisted, they actually read it and did some spadework on a possible write up, the UK press would actually be more representative of its popular readership. Swift is a filler story that certain musos might find while looking for the tits on Page 3. (I dunno if that is still a thing, mind....)

I quite like the Shins for the record. I'm not sure this guy really counts as an integral part of the band though. Looks like he was a member for 5 out of a 22 year career and only on one studio album.

3 top 20 albums in the UK for the record though YoungWillz. Wincing the Night Away went Silver and was a #2 in the US. 4 top 100 singles in the UK. Not sure why you think they didn't chart.

EDIT: Ah, you were talking about this specific chap's record in the Shins. Well, he didn't even appear on their 2012 album, so his involvement in the Shins is probably a complete red herring. However, newspapers in the UK have clearly heard of the Shins and thus not bothered to find out whether he was an integral member or a peripheral one before firing up the obituary squad.

• Like 1

EC_for_FB_bigger.jpgElvis CostelloVerified account @ElvisCostello
FollowingFollowing @ElvisCostello
More

Elvis Costello has been forced to cancel the remaining 6 dates of his current European tour on medical grounds. His doctor has strongly advised him to take a break from his current tour itinerary and rest. Please click here for more information -

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Elvis Costello has been forced to cancel the remaining 6 dates of his current European tour on medical grounds. His doctor has strongly advised him to take a break from his current tour itinerary and rest. Please click here for more information -

I click on it and I can't get it to work.  :revenant:

Just now, Sir Creep said:

I click on it and I can't get it to work.  :revenant:

I only copied the text from the tweet not the actual link.

Now he has his own thread it seems academic

Really? 
I swear.... so many of you are OCD.  

On 18/04/2018 at 05:21, Spade_Cooley said:

Tears for Fears postpone tour due to "unforeseen health concerns".

So I went looking and still find nothing to explain who or what the health concern was about.  They keep talking touring in 2019 but that’s just talk.  Anyone have more insight on this?

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Vince Martin, who had a U.S. top ten hit in 1956 with 'Cindy, Oh Cindy', has died.  He was 81.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/vince-martin-cindy-oh-cindy-singer-early-folk-rock-pioneer-dead-at-81-696767/

Not everyone does it, but you can attach the person’s hit song if you like, esp one hit wonders 

SC

• Like 1

On 03/07/2018 at 17:32, YoungWillz said:

Not complaining about the above post, everyone's entitled to post here because music binds you to people but....American Richard Swift's record for the record:

The Shins: Zero top 100 albums or singles in the UK.

The Arcs: Zero top 100 singles, 1 album reached number 40 in the UK.

Was a touring member of The Black Keys, so their 4 top 75 singles don't count.

Solo artist: Zero mark on the charts in the UK.

National Obits received in the UK so far: Mail; Mirror; The Sun, Daily Star.

Another Richard, British Richard Adland, drummer for The Piranhas (died early 2018):

Piranhas: 1 top 10 and 1 top 20 single and one top 75 album in the UK.

National Obits received in the UK so far: None.

Thank gawd for this forum.

Re Richard Adland - The Piranhas one (briefly) charting album has been woefully obscure for years and despite the tonnage of reissues brought about in the CD era it's not even out there as a download. It was on Sire as well, so not like an obscure label that folded and binned all master tapes.

52 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Re Richard Adland - The Piranhas one (briefly) charting album has been woefully obscure for years and despite the tonnage of reissues brought about in the CD era it's not even out there as a download. It was on Sire as well, so not like an obscure label that folded and binned all master tapes.

Shame that.

Anyway, I know who I'd rather read about over a boiled egg and soldiers in the morning. And it's not Swift.

Truly nowhere reasonable to put this, seeing as we don't have a 'funk' music thread, and it isn't jazz or rap.  And he isn't dead, so the general dead category won't work.  But he's almost dead so 2019 possibilities don't work.  We need a New Orleans (NOLA) thread lol.  If you got a better place, let's move it.

After varying reports on social media left the health of Theryl “Houseman” DeClouet in question, Galactic bassist Robert Mercurio has informed fans that his former bandmate has been moved to hospice.  “It has been beautiful and touching to see the outpouring of love for him,” Mercurio wrote. He closed his statement by asking fans to “pray for [Houseman] to have a peaceful passing.”  Houseman became the frontman for Galactic from the mid-‘90s, and is credited with infusing the band with much of its NOLA spirit.

He left the band in 2004 due to heath complications from diabetes.
SC

For non-Cajuns, that is pronounced DECK-looway

• Like 1

Yeah, he would be such a classy DDP pick if he makes 2019. But there’s no chance of that happening...

22 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, he would be such a classy DDP pick if he makes 2019. But there’s no chance of that happening...

Doesn't sound like much chance of August happening, is he even 5-4-3-2-1- DP worthy?  I just don't see him making the start gate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Doesn't sound like much chance of August happening, is he even 5-4-3-2-1- DP worthy?  I just don't see him making the start gate.

Yep, he’s dead. One of those shortlist names that goes very quickly...

Kate Bush turned 60 yesterday. She lost a lot of weight for her concert the other year and is a vegetarian. I don't think she will be troubling the list until at least 2040. Barring accidents. 

I think I said something like this before, but I see her living for 30+ more years, as a witch in a hut in the forest, obviously with tangled grey hair. That stage of her life should begin once her hair turns grey.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Kate Bush turned 60 yesterday. She lost a lot of weight for her concert the other year and is a vegetarian. I don't think she will be troubling the list until at least 2040. Barring accidents. 

However can the same be said of her collaborators?

1. Rolf Harris (b.1930) – Played didgeridoo on The Dreaming
  2. Donald Sutherland (b.1935) – Appeared in the video for Cloudbusting
  3. Lindsay Kemp (b.1938) – Mime – Taught Kate movement and appears in The Line, The Cross & The Curve
  4. Bill Oddie (b.1941) – Appeared in the video for Experiment IV
  5. Ken Livingston (b.1945) – Subject of Kate’s song Ken written for the Comic Strip GLC
  6. Eric Clapton (b.1945) – Guitar on And So Is Love
  7. Dave Gilmour (b.1946) – Credited with ‘discovering’ Kate
  8. Elton John (b.1947) – Duet Snowed In On Wheeler Street
  9. Andy Fairweather-Low (b.1948) – Backing vocals Wildman
  10. Robbie Coltrane (b.1950) – Played Ken Livingstone in GLC and once proposed to Kate on a whim
  11. Peter Gabriel (b.1950) – Duet Don’t Give Up
  12. Alexi Sayle (b.1952) - Played Kate’s Father in Les Dogs
  13. Rowan Atkinson (b.1955) – Duetted on Do Bears….? At Comic Relief 1986
  14. Nigel Kennedy (b.1956) – Violin on Big Stripey Lie
  15. Tim McInnerny (b.1956) – Appeared in the video for This Woman’s Work
  16. Dawn French (b.1957) – Appeared in the video for Experiment IV
  17. Stephen Fry (b.1957) – Provides spoken dialogue on 50 Words For Snow
  18. Miranda Richardson (b.1958) – Played Kate’s Mother in Les Dogs and appears in The Line, The Cross & The Curve
  19. Lenny Henry (b.1958) – Backing vocal on Why Should I Love You?
  20. Hugh Laurie (b.1959) – Appeared in the video for Experiment IV

• Like 1

I'd really like to get a hit with Lindsay Kemp, but he's fine, apparently.

Sadly, Kate never really went beyond the Commonwealth, artistically. And it doesn't surprise me that she's a Brexiteer and Tory, however a VERY traditional Tory for whom things went wrong when the Anglo-Saxons chased the Celts out of England.

Edit: At some point I need to field a David Bowie theme team. Joker: Iggy Pop.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I'd really like to get a hit with Lindsay Kemp, but he's fine, apparently.

Sadly, Kate never really went beyond the Commonwealth, artistically. And it doesn't surprise me that she's a Brexiteer and Tory, however a VERY traditional Tory for whom things went wrong when the Anglo-Saxons chased the Celts out of England.

Edit: At some point I need to field a David Bowie theme team. Joker: Iggy Pop.

Lindsay was performing earlier this month and Kate sent flowers. I am not going to take issue with her politics. She is a child of privilege whose talent has allowed her to dictate the terms of her own career. Though I think some of her leftie friends from that list might be less than impressed. 

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Lindsay was performing earlier this month and Kate sent flowers. I am not going to take issue with her politics. She is a child of privilege whose talent has allowed her to dictate the terms of her own career. Though I think some of her leftie friends from that list might be less than impressed. 

I don't mind it either, it's sort of her brand and her charm. She's always been out of time. And the Tories (and conservatives in general) sort of ignore that even if they pull back the role of the state by 50 or 100 or even more years, they still won't get the old times back, just something different, and, in my opinion, something far less desirable. But in music, you can put together didgeridoos, bagpipes and synthesizers and it works.

• Like 1

Early keyboardist with the Bay City Rollers Archie Marr dies in a fire at his Edinburgh home: https://www.scotsman.com/news/original-member-of-bay-city-rollers-dies-after-fire-at-edinburgh-home-1-4779036

Apparently he appeared on TOTP with the band following their 1971 hit Keep On Dancing, but I can't find a clip with him in it. Deffo keyboards on the track though.

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Early keyboardist with the Bay City Rollers Archie Marr dies in a fire at his Edinburgh home: https://www.scotsman.com/news/original-member-of-bay-city-rollers-dies-after-fire-at-edinburgh-home-1-4779036

Apparently he appeared on TOTP with the band following their 1971 hit Keep On Dancing, but I can't find a clip with him in it. Deffo keyboards on the track though.

Hmm

A lot of their records were played by session musicians. There's an infamous story in which a DJ tries to entrap a BCR by asking him apparently off-mic what he thinks of their latest single. When he frankly admits it isn't that great he's asked why he didn't say anything as it was being recorded at which point the BCR points out the first time he heard the record was when he heard it on the radio.