maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

48 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Why are you all so upset about a old no name dying. He's music sounds like the stuff they play in retirement homes.

What a cool fahkin retirement home!
I second Roey's comment above not necessarily for me in this case but for other popular people not particularly prevalent in my culture or area.

SC

Quick inevitable pub trivia quiz: what's the only US #1 single Chas and Dave play on?

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Quick inevitable pub trivia quiz: what's the only US #1 single Chas and Dave play on?

Given the Meek connection, Telstar?

Dunno if Johnny Remember Me was a splash in the states, was #1 here.

Couldn't find any corroborating information but, according to a single Facebook post from earlier this month, Rick Evans, of the one-hit wonder duo Zager and Evans, died earlier this year.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Couldn't find any corroborating information but, according to a single Facebook post from earlier this month, Rick Evans, of the one-hit wonder duo Zager and Evans, died earlier this year.

Oh I loved this when I was, like 4.

I secretly love it still.

• Like 2

Gotta listen to #SnookerLoopy today in memory of Chas:

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I think there's a song called #1 by Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers that I believe was released in the US.

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

No.1 when I was born.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

I’ve been working on a project for fun where I go through all the Billboard Year-End lists and pick my favorite and least favorite songs from each year. This was my least favorite song of 1969. To each their own though

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

BBC announce that Chas Hodges has died. RIP.

First hit for my TOTP team. Happy birthday to me...not!

Heard a bit of their stuff recently and I quite liked it. R.I.P 

34 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

No pop stars were harmed in the making of this post but...

Gary Numan's tour bus totalled a 91 year old pedestrian: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45637506

**Here in my car I feel safest of all

**(so obvious a line, it was the 800 lb gorilla needed uncaging)

• Like 2

Scottish guitarist Dale Barclay of The Amazing Snakeheads dead at 33/34:

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/reports-amazing-snakeheads-dale-barclay-has-died

Well, saves me from wondering about the obitability.

Edit: Well, he was recognized in the BBC music live blog:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evfwhn/live/czz5d4

Yeah, he was on my shortlist as well, and I likely would’ve picked him as well. Though recent news suggested that he was in a more stable than it actually turned out to be...

As I suspected, a QO comes for Barclay. Thought of him as next year’s Thomas Fekete, though obviously that can’t happen now...

Jefferson Airplane guitarist Marty Balin, who co-founded the San Francisco psychedelic rock band in 1965 and played a crucial role in the creation of all their 1960s albums, including Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers, died Thursday at the age of 76. Balin’s rep confirmed the musician’s death to Rolling Stone, though the cause of death is currently unknown.
SC

• Sad 4

WHAT?!!? Bloody hell. Shocking news.

You know, rather like David Crosby, Grace is going to outlive them all, isn't she?

11 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

You know, rather like David Crosby, Grace is going to outlive them all, isn't she?

You may be right VT.  It is a bit of a right of passage for the females of our species -- that they outlive the males, in general.  That said, unless she's an extreme outlier, these musicians simply don't see 80.  She can't have but a few years, no matter how her present health is.

Speaking of shock --
1. I was as shocked seeing the headline as you of course, such a loss, well for us old farts. 
2. Slightly more shocking was that it was 40 minutes old when I came here and found no one had posted yet.  Believe you me, with the quick triggers and top notch research hounds who are denizens herein, 'twas as stunner I got to post the news.
SC

11 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Aye, wish I'd put a tenner on that whilst Kantner and Balin were alive

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, wish I'd put a tenner on that whilst Kantner and Balin were alive

Wonder what the odds would be for Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch.

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

She can't have but a few years, no matter how her present health is.

I know you're right but please don't say that :( Grace Slick is one of my very few 'immortals', along with Debbie Harry, any member of Abba and June Whitfield, that I will never put on my list unless it's announced they are ill. Plus I'd kill to meet her; she's one of my few heroes that I've never met or seen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redrumours said:

Wonder what the odds would be for Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch.

Hank's a clean living Jehovah's Witness - he might well see Cliff into the ground.

5 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I know you're right but please don't say that :( Grace Slick is one of my very few 'immortals', along with Debbie Harry, any member of Abba and June Whitfield, that I will never put on my list unless it's announced they are ill. Plus I'd kill to meet her; she's one of my few heroes that I've never met or seen.

Agreed with your entire list.  I felt the same way about Lauren Bacall a few years back, angered me that anyone dared put her name on a list.  I wouldn't have done even if it cost me a DDP title.  I don't care one way or another about Betty White, for instance, but I'll be damned if I will be responsible for the bad karma that brings her demise.  I won't have that on my conscious.  So her name is safe from my lists.
SC