Guest Grave Robber

Bernard Manning

Guest Swiss

He was looking as good as could be expected for someone in their late 70's, I'd give him 10 years yet at least, or maybe thats just wishful thinking and inside 3 would be more realistic.

I am aware that the post was made in February btw, hence my apology that you so kindly quoted and seemingly, neglected to read before quoting. :sicktherm:

Thanks for that information Swiss. The judgement of people who have recently seen future candidates is very important. I suppose the only better information is to get the full state of play from the candidate's doctor. That's not you is it?

Perhaps Swiss is the big cheese...........

I think he's a plant....

I think Bernard Manning is a very funny man who, if I am correctly remembering what I have heard from friends who have recently been up to the Embassy club to see his nightly performance, is in good health for his age but has a few heart problems (please feel free to quote the five words before these parentheses out of context to make your own joke).

I would have thought he is not worth including on the DL 2006 since he will likely die suddenly on stage (again feel free to use that as you wish).

Guest Gareth Bamsey
Hahaha...haha! Even that's funny, good old Bernard...

I have seen Bernard a fewq times, "Great voice" and what he dose best is play his audience very well. I wouldn't say he was racist, however, people are looking to be affended these days. makes life difficult to live for everyone. when bernard is in England, he has a go at the Welsh, when he is in Ireland, he has a go at the English, and when in Scotland vice verce. Its a micro cosom of society. To ignore that is to stick your head in the sand.

his mum was Welsh, and his dad was Irish. A true Celtic hero.

Perhaps Swiss is the big cheese...........

I think he's a plant....

A cheese plant?

A cheese plant?

Well known fact: cheese is a fruit. Almost just as well known as the fact that soap is mined.

regards,

Hein

I would have thought he is not worth including on the DL 2006 since he will likely die suddenly on stage (again feel free to use that as you wish).

Surely that is the point? The $64,000 question is when. Next year sounds a good possibility to me.

Was just checking up on his status and came across this entry on his wikipedia page :

"A well known racist, the fat man died last year."

I'm pretty sure this isn't true - is it? :eshock:

Nah, he lives, he breathes, he gigs occasionally and the racist stuff isn't as simple as it seems. No bullshit, the man does grim irony and satire in a manner that's seldom credited. Think I posted a class joke about him doing a gag onstage about not wanting to discuss the holocaust because a relative died in it.....he'd let that hang for a second on stage before the punchline; 'He fell out of a machine gun tower!'

The real problem with Bernard is that - like Elvis - he's got a massive natural talent long squandered on the shortest route to decent cash.

Nah, he lives, he breathes, he gigs occasionally and the racist stuff isn't as simple as it seems. No bullshit, the man does grim irony and satire in a manner that's seldom credited. Think I posted a class joke about him doing a gag onstage about not wanting to discuss the holocaust because a relative died in it.....he'd let that hang for a second on stage before the punchline; 'He fell out of a machine gun tower!'

The real problem with Bernard is that - like Elvis - he's got a massive natural talent long squandered on the shortest route to decent cash.

Come on MPFC. No doubt in my mind that Manning can be funny. The watchtower joke is just that. I've seen him defend his humour but he's no Chris Morris. It's not genuine irony. The real irony is that underneath he's still a racist bigot and a bully. But he thinks he can paper over that with his humour. He should be locked in the padded room at Brinsworth House with Jimmy Saville plus constant reruns of Man About the House and they should throw away the key.

Disagree with what should happen to him Godot, and I stand by my Elvis comparison. Put it this way; if Elvis had a manager who cared beyond the bank balance I'm guessing he'd still be alive and we'd be looking back fondly at legendary recordings, a few albums in the Stax Studios, mebbe a collection done in Detroit with the Tamla Motown guys.

If Bernard Manning had managed to get his brains out of his bollocks for any length of time he'd be up there with Eric and Ernie, back in the day he was their equal in natural talent. In truth you can take the comedian from the back streets but you can seldom take the streets from them. Witness the fact that the self-aware and reconstructed Billy Connolly was still damn near sixty when he went public on being abused, and even now, arguably his stance on the whole thing amounts to denial. So what should happen is....he should be locked in a room with writers others would kill to work with and made - just once in his life - to deliver material worthy of the natural talent that remains.

Can't say I've really seen or heard anything he's done, but I'd be happy for him and saville to be locked away together, if only because I've got them both in my list and the chances of a double-whammy would be significantly improved - not that I'm wishing for any particular harm to come to manning.

Thinking of it, I wish I'd gone for roy chubby brown now and picked up the trifecta!

He's funny. End of.

No he isn't.

It's not the racist edge either.

He just isn't.

He's funny. End of.

No he isn't.

It's not the racist edge either.

He just isn't.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then.

He is planning his funeral for a TV show.

Doesn't plan to die though. He wants to live to 100...

Doesn't plan to die though. He wants to live to 100...

Oh gods spare me this clapped out 70's humor!

I have no ill wishes for the man but he is just SO dated.

Bring on the new and fresh.

Razor

He is a good sport and he knows he's been defying the odds for a while.

Alex Higgins second, not sure about that, he's not sixty yet.

Just beat me to it Crispy. Still listed as 'Breaking' on the BBC site.