maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll - yes ( many times)
  2. 1984 - George Orwell - Yes
  3. The Lord of the Rings trilogy - JRR Tolkien - no
  4. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy - Started it, got about 4 chapters in
  5. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy - Started it got about half way through
  6. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes -No
  7. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee - yes (at school)
  8. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens - No (not read any Dickens)
  9. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Yes
  10. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen -Yes (at school)
  11. Bleak House - Charles Dickens - no (see 8)
  12. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling - First 1 only
  13. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens - No (see 8)
  14. The Diary of Anne Frank - Anne Frank - No
  15. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens - No (see 8)
  16. Fifty Shades trilogy - EL James - no
  17. And Then There were None - No
  18. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald - Yes
  19. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller - No
  20. The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger - No (read a few relevant bits to quote in an essay but not read the whole thing)

I have a Russian degree and I've only read one of the Russian books on there in its entirety. To be honest, Bulgakov and Gogol aside, I don't really enjoy Russian literature.

I'm not sure why I've never read any Dickens, probably because my mum hates him and won't have his work in the house.

I recently read 'Earth, an alien enterprise'. by Timothy Good

Its not like I really enjoy reading books but I do on the subject of Ufology/Aliens and suchlike.

Im not giving a shit if people believe or not, its a subject that has fascinated me from childhood and its never gone away.

Never will either.

Joke that once got a round of applause when I was doing a speech at a paranormal shindig

Audience member - Do you actually believe anything in Timothy Good's books?

Me - You can usually trust the publisher's name and address.

• Like 1

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll - yes ( many times)
  2. 1984 - George Orwell - Yes
  3. The Lord of the Rings trilogy - JRR Tolkien - no
  4. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy - Started it, got about 4 chapters in
  5. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy - Started it got about half way through
  6. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes -No
  7. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee - yes (at school)
  8. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens - No (not read any Dickens)
  9. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Yes
  10. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen -Yes (at school)
  11. Bleak House - Charles Dickens - no (see 8)
  12. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling - First 1 only
  13. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens - No (see 8)
  14. The Diary of Anne Frank - Anne Frank - No
  15. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens - No (see 8)
  16. Fifty Shades trilogy - EL James - no
  17. And Then There were None - No
  18. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald - Yes
  19. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller - No
  20. The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger - No (read a few relevant bits to quote in an essay but not read the whole thing)

I have a Russian degree and I've only read one of the Russian books on there in its entirety. To be honest, Bulgakov and Gogol aside, I don't really enjoy Russian literature.

I'm not sure why I've never read any Dickens, probably because my mum hates him and won't have his work in the house.

Regarding russian literature, I've just started War and Peace. Let's see if I make it through it...

I adore Fjodor Dostoewskij and consider Crime and Punishment my favourite "serious" novel (though in some ways, the novel is just a very, very good crime story).

I once read Anna Karenina and came away with the impression that it was a structurally perfect book. But I didn't really feel engaged by it.

I've also read a couple of plays by Anton Chekhov during my "russian period" (that was around 1999-2002). During that time, I also read one political biography about the russian czars after another... Catherine II, Peter the Great, lots about the final Romanoffs, Ivan the Terrible and possibly Ivan III, I can't remember.

I have read almost 300 Doctor Who adaptations/original novels.

Possibly more.

My wife reads all the literary things and then tells me which ones are worth bothering with.

Have you read any of the Dr Who stories by Alexander Leithes? I believe he's written 3 or 4 of them.

Guest Dr Zorders

I am beavering away in my bedroom BECAUSE I HATE MY MUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am doing these books!

12_zpswaklya0e.jpg

8a8ad2dcaafba3be3d44836ad4650101_zpsndv7

I cant colour them in yet, my crayons KEEP GOING MISSING!!!!!!!

God, you are all horrible to me, its ALL YOUR FAULT AND YOU SHOULD ALL KILL YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Erm... hilarious?

I told Phantom to kill himself in the faint hope he could restore some honour and dignity for himself, and so as to reverse the bad example he's set for his poor downtrodden confused kids, not cos he was "horrible to me"....

I laughed at or was bemused by every single "mean" thing he said to me because he's a fucking 44 year old toddler who thinks me being technically "unemployed" is a bigger issue than the fact that his precious Halibuts are the biggest trojan horse since... the original trojan horse (although he only suddenly began to take that line that after it finally became clear to him after over 2 tortuous months that he couldn't get me to respect his cocktarded fairytale beliefs by bellowing "THASS RACIST DAT IS" over and over like the robotic Raymond Babbitt-type he is.)

Hope that helps you understand the situation better.

I am beavering away in my bedroom BECAUSE I HATE MY MUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am doing these books!

12_zpswaklya0e.jpg

8a8ad2dcaafba3be3d44836ad4650101_zpsndv7

I cant colour them in yet, my crayons KEEP GOING MISSING!!!!!!!

God, you are all horrible to me, its ALL YOUR FAULT AND YOU SHOULD ALL KILL YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA!

• Like 1

Oh for fuck's sake, don't hijack this perfectly good thread with your Halibut bollocks, fuck off.

• Like 2

Oh for fuck's sake, don't hijack this perfectly good thread with your Halibut bollocks, fuck off.

I didn't fucking start this. Are you fucking blind? Someone else posted that fucking image. What in the fuck is wrong with you?

You seem to be losing track of whatever senses you ever had so I guess we can only hope a few more days of hysterically waving your angry 900-stone gorilla ham fists around will land you in the same ward Richard Dawkins was in....

I didn't fucking start this. Are you fucking blind? Someone else posted that fucking image. What in the fuck is wrong with you?

You seem to be losing track of whatever senses you ever had so I guess we can only hope a few more days of hysterically waving your angry 900-stone gorilla ham fists around will land you in the same ward Richard Dawkins was in....

Please point out in my post where I addressed it to you, asshole.

• Like 2

About 500 times, in the subtext.

Hey, you know what I heard prevents strokes and heart attacks in obese middle-aged vodka-chugging women?

A high-salt, high-fat, high-sugar, high-BBQ sauce, high-pork, high-cheese, high-Red Bull diet!

Next time just ask the mods to move the post instead of blaming me for stuff that had nothing to do with me.

:lol:

Hey, you know what I heard prevents strokes and heart attacks in obese middle-aged vodka-chugging women?

A high-salt, high-fat, high-sugar, high-BBQ sauce, high-pork, high-cheese, high-Red Bull diet!

Next time just ask the mods to move the post instead of blaming me for stuff that had nothing to do with me.

Jesus, you're a fucking genius, reading words that aren't actually fucking there AND being able to see what I'm having for my tea right now.

Let's be honest, you WANT to take the blame because it makes you feel IMPORTANT, because your Mummy doesn't love you. You truly are a twat.

• Like 5

I recently read 'Earth, an alien enterprise'. by Timothy Good

Its not like I really enjoy reading books but I do on the subject of Ufology/Aliens and suchlike.

Im not giving a shit if people believe or not, its a subject that has fascinated me from childhood and its never gone away.

Never will either.

Joke that once got a round of applause when I was doing a speech at a paranormal shindig

Audience member - Do you actually believe anything in Timothy Good's books?

Me - You can usually trust the publisher's name and address.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. :lol:

Jesus, you're a fucking genius, reading words that aren't actually fucking there AND being able to see what I'm having for my tea right now.

Let's be honest, you WANT to take the blame because it makes you feel IMPORTANT, because your Mummy doesn't love you. You truly are a twat.

Great. I didn't come here to argue with you. Especially not about a topic as rubbish as my mum. Seems like you spend more time thinking about her than I do frankly!

"Don't bring your Halibut shit into this thread". Yeah of course that wasn't addressed to me.......

You're just a waste of time.

Next time, just get it right and ask the mods to deal with it instead of wrongly complaining to me.

You fancy me, don't you?

Go on, send me a picture of your cock. And I'll send you one of mine.

• Like 3

I do believe we have an exclusive on a young Zorders cock...

sidebar-mc.gif?w=500

Zorders,

I can't kill myself, my mum won't let me.

She's so unfair!!

• Like 3

Look at me everyone, when I'm taking a break from showing how much I care for my kids by furiously demanding that their living environments be totally swamped by snarling hissing frothing-mouth violent 12th century religious maniacs who know full well that the police and media won't dare stand up to their caveman antics, and belligerent illiterate beaners pushing $1-a-hit heroin, I get my "kicks" from mocking people who have legitimate and life-crippling grievances by suggesting that they resemble "silly comedy characters who inflate false grievances". Yes folks, I'm yet again comparing everything to an old TV show! Hooray for me!

The sooner society wakes up and puts me in the permanent "special" home I belong in the better. But if you want to stick that electro-shock gag thingy in my mouth you're gonna have to prise Allah's deliciously cheesy sweaty cock out of there first! Good luck with that! It's riveted in there reeeel goooooood!

Oh no, I'm being mocked as "immature" by someone who blocks/ignores me like a frightened teenage girl when they can't win an argument.

And who then probably ends up reading my messages anyway.

Every single one of your posts is like a fat ornery old lady sticking her fingers up at her carers cos it's the only act of trying-to-seem-with-it she has left.

Has anyone read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson?

I have watched the movie.

I have watched the movie.

Not the same but it was a good attempt at an 'unfilmable' book. Bit like Naked Lunch by William Burroughs, now that is surreal.

Well, is it any good then??

I'd recommend it. It helps if you can appreciate Thomson's particular world view and seek to ameliorate your own moral compass. Chivas Regal and peyote also help,

I'd recommend it. It helps if you can appreciate Thomson's particular world view and seek to ameliorate your own moral compass. Chivas Regal and peyote also help,

Fucking hell, that's me out then. I cant get more sophisticated than Big Vern and Mr Logic.

• Like 2