maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Has anyone read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson?

Well, is it any good then??

I'd recommend it. It helps if you can appreciate Thomson's particular world view and seek to ameliorate your own moral compass. Chivas Regal and peyote also help,

Fucking hell, that's me out then. I cant get more sophisticated than Big Vern and Mr Logic.

In a way Viz is an extension of Thomson's Gonzo milieu. You shouldn't dismiss it (or your capacity to gain enjoyment) so lightly my friend.

• Like 1

Well, is it any good then??

I'd recommend it. It helps if you can appreciate Thomson's particular world view and seek to ameliorate your own moral compass. Chivas Regal and peyote also help,

Fucking hell, that's me out then. I cant get more sophisticated than Big Vern and Mr Logic.

In a way Viz is an extension of Thomson's Gonzo milieu. You shouldn't dismiss it (or your capacity to gain enjoyment) so lightly my friend.

When Ive understood what you have just written I shall ponder its content. :D

• Like 2

Viz is genius, it comes through my letterbox every 6 weeks, which is funny as so does Dr Zorders.

• Like 4

It's been a while since I read it, saw the film too. Wasn't that keen on it. Preferred the book

• Like 1

Viz is genius, it comes through my letterbox every 6 weeks, which is funny as so does Dr Zorders.

And there I was trying to the deflect the conversation......

And there I was trying to the deflect the conversation......

You are right, apologies.

• Like 2

At least you get time to clean up the mess until the next occurrence

• Like 1

I have watched the movie.

Not the same but it was a good attempt at an 'unfilmable' book. Bit like Naked Lunch by William Burroughs, now that is surreal.

The soundtrack for Naked Lunch was better than the film

At least you get time to clean up the mess until the next occurrence

Anyway talking about the Naked Lunch you might like this clip (thinking of no one in particular) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiWIjWh3MNA

• Like 1

Not the same but it was a good attempt at an 'unfilmable' book. Bit like Naked Lunch by William Burroughs, now that is surreal.

The soundtrack for Naked Lunch was better than the film

I liked it.
  • Like 1

I liked it.

You read it??????????????????????? :lol:

I liked it.

The book? The film? Or both?

I liked it.

I liked it.

Don't knock him; the kid's obviously got taste.

On my pile of books to read...

I liked it.

Not knocking him

I enjoyed the book, the film was ok-ish (in my opinion ). Was trying to continue a conversation.

• Like 1

I liked it.

Not knocking him

I enjoyed the book, the film was ok-ish (in my opinion ). Was trying to continue a conversation.

Ok (the Chivas Regal and peyote is beginning to kick in). As I said the book was unfilmable really and Cronenberg did his schtick with it. I'd characterise it as a collection of book quotes (like the talking arsehole) interspersed with giant talking cockroaches - which isn't altogether a bad thing.

I liked it.

Not knocking him

Ok (the Chivas Regal and peyote is beginning to kick in). As I said the book was unfilmable really and Cronenberg did his schtick with it. I'd characterise it as a collection of book quotes (like the talking arsehole) interspersed with giant talking cockroaches - which isn't altogether a bad thing.

Well the moment you commit that sort of thing to film it's never as good as the images you could conjure purely from reading. That's why a lot of film adaptations of H.P. Lovecraft's books are crap.

Can anyone think of any examples where the films are better than the books? I'd say MASH is one example and arguably The Hunger Games. Oh and I prefer the film version of Effie Briest to the novel.

I'm currently reading the Color (sic) Purple at the moment, not really enjoying it but will stick with it. I've heard that the film is better but I've not seen that.

Jurassic Park. The film is amazing, the book is possibly Crichton's best but does get bogged down in his own style.

Jurassic Park. The film is amazing, the book is possibly Crichton's best but does get bogged down in his own style.

I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who thinks that. Don't they have editors anymore?

I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who thinks that. Don't they have editors anymore?

They do, although a good many writers seem to think success means they don't need editors anymore. Anne Rice is a famous example, though I've never read any of her stuff.

Ray Bradbury would submit all of his work, even after he became famous, to a group of his own peers who would point out every error, plot hole and other issues, and then he'd work on those before it even went to an editor. I like to think modern writers can learn more from Bradbury than Rice...

• Like 2

I'll give the book a miss then as I didn't care for the film at all.

I'll give the book a miss then as I didn't care for the film at all.

I bought it as something to read on a long flight well after the film was made, in particular because I had read his Sphere and rather liked it. I was disappointed, but finished the book. Nowadays I would have abandoned it.