M Busby Airlines

Betty Driver Memorial Soapstar Superstar Thread

Hang on, you said this pub wasnt recognisible as a pub, the only way to tell was by the cardboard sign reading "ReAl aLE --- thIS wAy", i think the fact that it is called the Hog and Donkey would give some clue as to it being a pub, lovely pics btw, ooh look he has a pug 205 and what appears to be a caravan  :D

No, this pic was taken behind the hedge. It's down lane that can't be seen easily.

He has a lot of cars.

The pub is near to the former RAF/USAF Manston airfield, where the USA kept nuclear bombers during the 1950s.

The owner used to buy cheap cars, flog them to the US officers, take them back when they went home and sell them to the next lot.

Suffice to say, he has still got a load of 50 year old cars in the garden, the radiator grills are behind the bar.

Apparently, so he says, he hasn't turned a profit since c1968 but he was a millionaire when he moved down from London to take the pub on.

FREE CLASSIC CAR SPARES!

You read it here first!

Any chance of a map to assist all the classic car driving pikeys out there?

• Like 1

Hang on, you said this pub wasnt recognisible as a pub, the only way to tell was by the cardboard sign reading "ReAl aLE --- thIS wAy", i think the fact that it is called the Hog and Donkey would give some clue as to it being a pub, lovely pics btw, ooh look he has a pug 205 and what appears to be a caravan  :D

No, this pic was taken behind the hedge. It's down lane that can't be seen easily.

He has a lot of cars.

The pub is near to the former RAF/USAF Manston airfield, where the USA kept nuclear bombers during the 1950s.

The owner used to buy cheap cars, flog them to the US officers, take them back when they went home and sell them to the next lot.

Suffice to say, he has still got a load of 50 year old cars in the garden, the radiator grills are behind the bar.

Apparently, so he says, he hasn't turned a profit since c1968 but he was a millionaire when he moved down from London to take the pub on.

Sounds like said publican could be a contender for the deathlist, what with so many fine years under his belt...

What's his name? :)

Dennis, can't remember his surname.

When I was working for a local paper near there, we almost published an obituary for him because lots of people phoned in the say he was dead.

There was no answer on the phone, but when I went round there to check, he was asleep in bed.

A knock on the window woke him up and he gave me a free pint!

Hog and Donkey map

The above link will take you to a map of the Hog and Donkey.

Thanks.

Perhaps you could do me a favour & save me the diesel chugging all that way myself? Next time you have a pint there, could you nip out into his garden & see if there's a gearbox for an Austin A70 lying around?

I've recently (ten minutes ago in fact) added a Classic Car Spares page to my website & the gearbox was my first enquiry.

Hang on... I have e-mail....

Doc... could you also have a dig round to see if there's any hub caps for a MK II Ford Consul?

Much obliged & we'll talk financial splits later... B)

Sounds a good deal, but it might take a while to get rid of the rust.

And it might take a while to drag me away from the bar.

After paying for a few drinks, he usually lets you have the rest for free.

I'm on my way...........

I'm on my way...........

Hey, Jos, pick us up some wheel rim embellishers for a Vauxhall Wyvern on a '53 plate, will you?

I've been reading a book about the women of Coronation Street and apprently our Betty was considered to be top totty in her day!!!

Changing the subjet slightly, my mum was a debt counsellor in the late 80s/early 90s and one of her clients was an ex Corrie actress who got into debt because of drink/drug/men problems. She won't tell me who it is though but they are still alive. I'll let you know if I find out as she might be a suitable candidate

one of her clients was an ex Corrie actress who got into debt because of drink/drug/men problems.

It wouldn't be Jennifer Moss, who played Lucille Hewitt, by any chance? Lots of well-publicised problems with drink, drugs and men.

perhaps if they write Betty off like they did with Bryan Mosley (Alf Roberts) then we should put her on the list.

Mosley was written off on the NY's episode 98/99 of Corrie then passed away just a few months later

perhaps if they write Betty off like they did with Bryan Mosley (Alf Roberts) then we should put her on the list.

Mosley was written off on the NY's episode 98/99 of Corrie then passed away just a few months later

And didn't Anne Haddy, who played Helen Daniels on Neighbours, die in real life just days after she died on screen?

I haven't watched Corrie for a couple of years now since I moved Stateside

I remember watching Albert Tatlock's funeral and my mum sat there crying her eyes out

Maybe she's blackmailing the show's producers. I can't think of any other reason she's still in it.

probably in the same way that Annie Walker (Doris Speed) used to appear every so often before she passed away

one of her clients was an ex Corrie actress who got into debt because of drink/drug/men problems.

It wouldn't be Jennifer Moss, who played Lucille Hewitt, by any chance? Lots of well-publicised problems with drink, drugs and men.

Yes it was her. Don't know much about her now though, so I'm not sure if she's a candidate for next year or not. She doesn't seem to have worked for ages though

Yes it was her. Don't know much about her now though, so I'm not sure if she's a candidate for next year or not. She doesn't seem to have worked for ages though

She was a regular in the Sunday papers throughout the late 70s and 80s due to various problems, but hasn't appeared in them for a long time. Either she's cleaned up her act or, most likely, most people under 35 wouldn't have a clue who she was so there's no point covering her.

As far as I'm aware she's in reasonable health. She's not that old either though getting into that area where heart attacks, strokes and other unforeseen, sudden ailments are commonplace.

And didn't Anne Haddy, who played Helen Daniels on Neighbours, die in real life just days after she died on screen?

Not quite & No.

Brian Mosley had been ill for many years before hand, so his death was no surprise. After all, leaving after a long stint, doesn't necessarily mean death straightaway, ie Lynne Perrie, Geoff Hinsliff, Julie Goodyear et al.

Anne Haddy died in real life about a year after leaving Neighbours. However, that episode in the UK was shown 7 months later, which is why it seemed a shorter time.

octopus,

I think you'll find that what I was trying to say was that usually with a much loved character that they've discussed with the show's producers / directors that rather than have the character move away somewhere they have them die in a way that's most befitting to the character they portray as a fitting tribute to the character that is much loved by the show's viewers.

Eg Alf Roberts played by Brian Mosley. He discussed with the show's producers and directors and it was agreed that as the actor himself was unable to continue that they would write him off. The actor himself then died 2 months later after the episode was screened, although probably in reality it was about 6 months after the episode was actually recorded

Lynne Perrie was actually sacked from the show, so her character was killed off after it transpired that she had run off to a nunnery.

The case with Betty Driver is that we all know the character (Betty Turpin) & the actress are in the autumn of their years and their appearances are becoming less frequent. Rather than have some sappy storyline that they've moved to Devon or where-ever to be with family they would have them die around their friends

Look at the character of Ethel in Eastenders, ok they killed Ethel off a couple of years before Gretchen Franklin herself passed away, but she was away for a bit and then came back as she was a much loved character

Bye, bye Betty's hot pot

" 'Corrie' bosses are reportedly planning to take Betty's hot pot off the menu in the Rover's Return. Producers are phasing out the iconic meal because they are concerned that 90-year-old actress Betty Driver, who plays barmaid Betty, is set to retire from the show, reports The Sun. Viewers of the soap will know that Betty has always refused to reveal the recipe to her dish so it will have to be dropped from the menu once she leaves. ... Sally Webster's herby lamb cobbler is reportedly the current favourite to replace it."

Are William Hill taking bets on that last bit?!

Bye, bye Betty's hot pot

" 'Corrie' bosses are reportedly planning to take Betty's hot pot off the menu in the Rover's Return. Producers are phasing out the iconic meal because they are concerned that 90-year-old actress Betty Driver, who plays barmaid Betty, is set to retire from the show, reports The Sun. Viewers of the soap will know that Betty has always refused to reveal the recipe to her dish so it will have to be dropped from the menu once she leaves. ... Sally Webster's herby lamb cobbler is reportedly the current favourite to replace it."

Now this bit I know for a FACT to be bollocks, because the ONLY thing Sally Fucking Webster has ever said about food in Coronation Shite is 'Ey oop Rersie, d'ya want beans fer yer teeeeeeaaaa'.

I fucking HATE Coronation Bollocks - I really want to get home from a hard day's work, switch on the telly and listen to whinging fucking Northerners talking about whippets. And Ken Barlow - his wife is hardly cold and he's already shagging some bint half his age. It should have been taken off air years ago. Load of crap.

Bye, bye Betty's hot pot

Now this bit I know for a FACT to be bollocks, because the ONLY thing Sally Fucking Webster has ever said about food in Coronation Shite is 'Ey oop Rersie, d'ya want beans fer yer teeeeeeaaaa'.

I fucking HATE Coronation Bollocks - I really want to get home from a hard day's work, switch on the telly and listen to whinging fucking Northerners talking about whippets. And Ken Barlow - his wife is hardly cold and he's already shagging some bint half his age. It should have been taken off air years ago. Load of crap.

Deirdre's dead? Since when? :)

I'm sure she's probably got her own thread but I'm fucked if I can find it Betty Driver admitted to hospital with pneumonia.

I'm sure she's probably got her own thread but I'm fucked if I can find it Betty Driver admitted to hospital with pneumonia.

Thanks whoever moved this - I swear on Dave Grohl's Holy Rock Bible that I put Betty Driver into the search engine and this thread was nowhere to be seen.

Bye, bye Betty's hot pot

It is shite at the moment no question

• Like 1