Death Watch Beatle

Magic Johnson, And Other Basketball Players

Former Butler Univ Bulldog player Andrew Smith battling second bout of cancer. 0.01% of obit in UK but dammit he's a 2016 slam dunk. Did u see what I did there?

SC

http://www.wthr.com/story/30409770/wife-calls-former-butler-basketball-star-epitome-of-strength-in-cancer-fight

Nothing is working, and it's only getting worse:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4687069-andrew-smith-butler-cancer-prognosis-lymphoma-leukemia

But no UK coverage at all so far. Well, except from Smith's wedding in the Daily Mail in 2012.

• Like 1

Hall of Famer Dolph Schayes, a 12-time All-Star who refined the big mans role in the infancy of the National Basketball Association, has died. He was 87. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer 6 months ago.

SC

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20151210/SPORTS/151219877/1004/Former-NBA-Dolph-Schayes-dies-at-87&template=MobileArt

An aside: I seem to post 75% of the stuff here and I'm no big NBA fan. Is it that basketball news travels the UK as fast as rugby news does in the States? Just wondering. Dolph's death languishedalmost two days before I'm posting it just now, so it's odd no one saw it. I was just being lazy and presumptuous.

Hall of Famer Dolph Schayes, a 12-time All-Star who refined the big mans role in the infancy of the National Basketball Association, has died. He was 87. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer 6 months ago.

SC

http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20151210/SPORTS/151219877/1004/Former-NBA-Dolph-Schayes-dies-at-87&template=MobileArt

An aside: I seem to post 75% of the stuff here and I'm no big NBA fan. Is it that basketball news travels the UK as fast as rugby news does in the States? Just wondering. Dolph's death languishedalmost two days before I'm posting it just now, so it's odd no one saw it. I was just being lazy and presumptuous.

Well, when it comes to Basketball I can never tell which death is important and which one isn't. After all, Andrew Smith could be the Lauren Hill of 2016, but... no coverage in the UK at all.

Luol Deng, who is the seventh-richest British athlete, could walk down 99.99999% of British streets and nobody would have the slightest fucking clue who he is because he plays a US sport. Basketball is roughly on the level of newsworthiness in the UK as netball or table tennis.

I'd never heard of Luol Deng, though I have heard of Miami Heat.

Luol Deng could knock on my door I'd think he was a delivery guy, a very tall delivery guy.

SC

There goes another gift pick. Fuckers won't live to Jan 1.

SC

There goes another gift pick. Fuckers won't live to Jan 1.

SC

That's the reason why I send in my teams after Xmas.

Oh I've no intention of sending anything before 12/29. But it's back to the drawing board. lol

SC

Well, when it comes to Basketball I can never tell which death is important and which one isn't. After all, Andrew Smith could be the Lauren Hill of 2016, but... no coverage in the UK at all.

Seems like a total Daily Mail or bust waiver gamble. They enjoy covering tragic young deaths so it's just a case of whether he dies in a week where they are in the need for an article about a father dying young who was a star athlete. I have seen less notable Us college athletes get a mention from Daily Mail but it's really a 50/50 situation. He is definitely a should I or shouldn't I choice I keep going back and forth about for my own team.

He definitely is a case of someone who reels from next year's obit tightening since if Yahoo UK still counted an obit for him would be all but guaranteed.

Meadowlark Lemon of the Harlem Globetrotters just had a birthday. I could have sworn he was away years ago.

He is now http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/sports/basketball/meadowlark-lemon-harlem-globetrotter-who-played-basketball-and-pranks-with-virtuosity-dies-at-83.html?_r=0

No!!!

RIP

SirC

Dicey obit of the year Andrew Smith readmitted to hospital on Wednesday, family asks for prayers:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2016/01/06/andrew-smith-back-hospital-amid-plea-prayers/78372206/

His college coach Brad Stevens now of the Nba Chicago Bulls skipped a game in the middle of the season to go see him. I think he might be in a count down the days scenario.

Truth be told if his former coach is gonna skip a game to visit him I wouldn't be shocked if that helps boost the Mail-worthiness of his inevitable death. Not even necessarily a full-on obit about him but perhaps coverage of a Celtics game saying "this has been a difficult one for coach Brad Stevens, who has recently learned of the death of his former player Andrew Smith from his time as a coach for Butler" or something.

I believe this will be a heavy year for "indirect" obits. Not just Andrew Smith, but also the Australian bishops Geoffrey Robinson and Ronald Mulkearns, whose deaths will be mentioned during the ongoing child abuse trial. Similarly, Gary Haggarty, probably. And it's slowly looking like Michel Delpech will also need one to count, most reasonably during the Isle of Wight festival in June.

Truth be told if his former coach is gonna skip a game to visit him I wouldn't be shocked if that helps boost the Mail-worthiness of his inevitable death. Not even necessarily a full-on obit about him but perhaps coverage of a Celtics game saying "this has been a difficult one for coach Brad Stevens, who has recently learned of the death of his former player Andrew Smith from his time as a coach for Butler" or something.

When I picked him (because fortune favours the brave, I guess) I did figure it was "Daily Mail or bust".

If Smith and Feek die in the very near future and Smith obits I will be leading in every DP on this site.

SC

If Smith and Feek die in the very near future and Smith obits I will be leading in every DP on this site.

SC

If everybody from my list dies this year then I will win DDP 2016!

• Like 2

John Johnson, a two-time All-Star forward with the Cleveland Cavaliers who helped the Seattle SuperSonics win the 1979 NBA title, has died. He was 68.

Cause of death 'unknown', seems to be the cause of a fair number of folks.

SC

I believe this will be a heavy year for "indirect" obits. Not just Andrew Smith, but also the Australian bishops Geoffrey Robinson and Ronald Mulkearns, whose deaths will be mentioned during the ongoing child abuse trial. Similarly, Gary Haggarty, probably. And it's slowly looking like Michel Delpech will also need one to count, most reasonably during the Isle of Wight festival in June.

Geoffrey Robinson isn't going anywhere 2016. I'll fly you to his funeral if he does, but you have to fly me to shake his hand on New Year's Day 2017 if he doesn't. Sounds a fair cop.

SC

• Like 1