So it looks like England's next game will be against Ecuador on Sunday. It's a good thing they won their group. Had they placed 2nd, they would have had to face Germany.

Bit harsh on Gorman the above, I think the grieving would probably be helped by the chance to get away from the reminders of his previous life.

I think he might've been up for Carlisle had he not taken the Northampton job, a damn good player for us back when.

Re Carlisle manager. The latest trawling of fan opinion has Mervyn Day marginally ahead in a poll with some former managers, some regular names that come up all the time - like Ian McCall - and a few recent possibilities. Check it out.

PULPHACK

See you round mine on August 19th, I'll be down for a chat and the stealing of three points from under your nose around Feb 17th. Either way, I can't wait for the big match - August 5th at home to Doncaster marking the new season.

Rumour has it our new manager is Portugal's 'Big Phil' hence his turning down the England job, or maybe we're getting Mick Wadsworth, or Ian Holloway.

Reading's first 5 Premiership games

Middlesbrough (H)

Aston Villa (A)

Wigan (A)

Man City (H)

Sheff Utd (A)

EASY EASY EASY EASY EASY EASY

It's a good thing we have got that start because we then play Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal & Tottenham in successive home games! :banghead:

I'm currently following the Stanley Cup finals (ice hockey) which Channel 5 - bless 'em!! - are showing live. Maches start at 1am in England and generally last for 3 hours minimum. This makes for a very sleepy ie+... especially when I have to be up during the day to watch the footie.

My deepest sympathy with the outcome of the finals: almost there. From experience I know that getting roaringly pissed helps, for a while.

Welcome to the World Cup. Tonight: Netherlands v Argentina. The match has lost most of its relevance, so it could well turn out an entertaining one.

regards,

Hein

Thanks MH. The final was heartbreaking... absolutely heartbreaking. On a brighter note, however, I reckon we're gonna kick some ass next year.

Watched the Netherlands/Argentina game. Not particularly dramatic, was it? Thank god the group stage is almost over! Hopefullly some proper, interesting football will ensue.

[Let the flames begin?]

Watched the Netherlands/Argentina game. Not particularly dramatic, was it?

A bit dull, even. It was nice to see, but with scoreless draws everyone is a loser, most of all the spectators. That said: both sides played well, which gives me some hope for the second round.

Thank god the group stage is almost over! Hopefullly some proper, interesting football will ensue.

[Let the flames begin?]

Next installment: Sunday 21:00 MEST, Portugal v Netherlands. A tough opponent, but if the Dutch make it, they may meet England in the QF, in other words a bye to the semi's. :banghead:

regards,

Hein

Can Hiddink do it again?

He can, and a very entertaining match it was against Croatia. Well done, Australia!

Italians remember him, I suppose. :banghead:

regards,

Hein

Brazil 4 Japan 1

Ronaldo scored 2 goals for Brazil and looks like he has finally regained his form after sluggish performances in his early games. The first goal moved him past Pele as Brazil's all-time scoring leader in the competition and the second tied the record held by Gerd Mueller of Germany.

Their next game is against Ghana, but I expect them to pull through.

Croatia 2 Australia 2

This game was Croatia's to win. Instead they allowed Australia to score a late goal to tie and deny them a spot in the next round. Had they won, Croatia would have advanced. Instead Australia will play Italy in the next round. It was a thrilling game, but there were just too many penalties.

Brazil 4 Japan 1

Ronaldo scored 2 goals for Brazil and looks like he has finally regained his form after sluggish performances in his early games. The first goal moved him past Pele as Brazil's all-time scoring leader in the competition and the second tied the record held by Gerd Mueller of Germany.

Croatia 2 Australia 2

This game was Croatia's to win. Instead they allowed Australia to score a late goal to tie and deny them a spot in the next round. Had they won, Croatia would have advanced. Instead Australia will play Italy in the next round. It was a thrilling game, but there were just too many penalties.

I hear ya FF but I truly did feel he just looked totally bored..ya know

The Carlisle fans have their say on line, allow for some rounding out of figures to explain the 100.2% of voting and this is what we think:

New United Manager Voting Poll Results ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

554 votes cast in total which is certainly a healthy amount for a survey. The results show how widely opinion is split as well : :

Mervyn Day - 95 votes - 17.1%

Dennis Booth - 74 votes - 13.4%

John Ward - 68 votes - 12.3%

Stan Ternent - 65 votes - 11.7%

Other choice - 63 votes - 11.4%

Martin Allen (now MK Dons boss) - 63 votes - 11.4%

John Carver - 49 votes - 8.8%

Mick Wadsworth - 17 votes - 3.1%

Andy Preece - 16 votes - 2.9%

Neale Cooper - 15 votes - 2.7%

Billy Barr - 9 votes - 1.6%

Ian McCall - 9 votes - 1.6%

Ian Atkins - 7 votes - 1.3%

Kevin Gray - 5 votes - 0.9%

Strangely no mention of the soon to be jobless Sven.

The Carlisle fans have their say on line, allow for some rounding out of figures to explain the 100.2% of voting and this is what we think:

554 votes cast in total

Carlisle has as many as 554 fans?! :(:(

Some good names there, but Neale Cooper isn't one of them, take it from me.

Brazil 4 Japan 1

Croatia 2 Australia 2

I hear ya FF but I truly did feel he just looked totally bored..ya know

You can see some of Ronaldo's family here

Brazil 4 Japan 1

Croatia 2 Australia 2

I thought there was just one penalty from which Australia scored. There was one clear foul that should have been a penalty in the first half. Some very dodgy decisions by the ref.

Some good names there, but Neale Cooper isn't one of them, take it from me.

Cheers Octi, his 2.7% of votes speaks for itself. I don't think the vote above will have much influence on the eventual decision. I'd guess we'll get someone with a record but no previous experience of the BP hotseat. Mick Wadsworth would be an interesting choice. Did bloody brilliant things for us and got Scarborough into the play-offs which verges on a miracle. Had some disasters since mind including an abortive stint managing The Congo.

Your Brazilian football name generated as you watch. I'm FUNCINHO.

Incidentally, latest on Carlisle is that John Carver (Leeds head coach) and Mervyn Day are both in the frame with Cheltenham's John Ward a long shot if they don't work out.

Thank F**k it won't be Colin Hendry.

Thread title is pretty lame.

I should know, I wrote it :(

Suggestions?

A thread of two halves

Offside

Sick as a Parrot

When Saturday Comes

G-o-o-o-a-a-l-l-l!!!

Your Brazilian football name generated as you watch. I'm FUNCINHO.

What a total sham was todays World Cup football. That's several hours I'll never get back. In the afternoon I watched Tunisia v Ukraine. It was horrible. In the evening I watched Togo v France. It was horrible.

I wish Switzerland and Spain all the best in their second round matches.

regards

Magerildo

What a total sham was todays World Cup football. That's several hours I'll never get back. In the afternoon I watched Tunisia v Ukraine. It was horrible. In the evening I watched Togo v France. It was horrible.

I wish Switzerland and Spain all the best in their second round matches.

S Korea v Switzerland was one of the better matches I've seen thus far. Seems to make a difference when the teams actually have a reason to try and win.

My loyalties lie as follows*:

1. England

2. Netherlands

Either of those two teams winning will be fine with me. :(

*Canada has not been included for, er, obvious reasons.

Things are looking good. The next round begins tomorrow and they are some really good match-ups.

Saturday, June 24th

Germany vs Sweden

Argentina vs Mexico

Sunday, June 25th

England vs Ecuador

Portugal vs Netherlands

Monday, June 26th

Italy vs Australia

Switzerland vs Ukraine

Tuesday, June 27th

Brazil vs Ghana

Spain vs France

Hugh Baird, former player for Leeds United, Aberdeen & Airdrie, has died, aged 76, just days after being awarded, some 50 years late, his one & only footballing cap for Scotland. A shame, but at least he lived to be awarded the cap.

Obit

Deutschland, Deutschland über Schweden!

They looked bloody good.

... in the first half.

Sweden didn't do much to make it difficult. They looked as if invaded by the Wehrmacht. :P

regards,

Hein

Finally! A really excellent game of football has been played in this world cup. Argentina and Mexico were a true pleasure to watch; hopefully this was just a preview of greater things to come in the upcoming weeks. :P