England 2 Trinidad & Tobago 0

Both goals occurred in the last 10 minutes of the game. A win is a win, but England really needs to step it up though, as they gave T & T too many chances. Had they played a stronger team, the results would have been much different, with England possibly being on the losing end.

The first 80 minutes England were rubbish, I'm sorry to say. It's not as if T&T were good.

Of course England qualified for the second round, so they've done something right, but other than the French I've not seen such overrated (and overpaid) players in the World Cup.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Godot, Culloden was not Scotland vs England. It was protestant British forces against mainly Catholic Highlanders*.

*Although some disagree.

So does this mean I need no longer feel guilty for stuffing the Scots in 1745? That's a relief. I had always associated the bayonette weilding redcoats with the English and the kilted nutters ripped through by grapeshot with the Scots. Glad I can rest easy now.

Yes, you suffer from a distorted view of history. Go and see a doctor.

What you just posted sounds like a well known painting...

first the important stuff - mccarthy for preston? are they MAD?

just spent the night watching england-trinidad and then sweden paraguy. most people emptied out of the pub after the first game. surpise. the second was actually more interesting. i'm english and i like being english because its my heritage, i love pg wodehouse and vaughn williams, and i love the terrain, from dorset to the lake district. i hate the england team because they're tossers, and also because W**nkers who sit in pubs and sing the theme from the great escape when their heroes put a goal past a third division defence (literally) are kinda missing the point. owen hargreaves = canadian. chris birchall = born in F*****g port vale. mexico are fielding a brazilian. jack charlton's republic of ireland (who now snap up every player with an irish granny to ensure they get first dibs - they even fielded a player recently who's 17 and only played for spurs reserves). do i have to go on?

i will. i recall zaire playing in the 74 world cup and being the first to be called naive - which they were, as probably none of 'em had played outside africa. now look at togo, ivory coast, etc -nearly all premiership or serie a players. yet still african teams get patronised and called naive.

international footy has nothing to do with national pride, and everything to do with xenophobia. i saw it tonight, i see it every day in the british press, and i saw it four years ago when i was in italy.

it sucks. hugely. let's get this crap over with and get back to the leagues. there's some great play (spain's fourth goal yesterday comes to mind for sheer team interplay), but the attitide of most fans is why wars happen.

Lastly, if England do wins the World Cup, I fear that my worst nightmare will become a reality...Sir David and Lady Victoria Beckham. It doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

Very good point. *starts waving Sweden flag* swedenflag.gif

Guest iain

lets justthank God that england didnt have to face the might of the Faroe Islands or Botswana or something!the Germans should be a pushover in the 2nd round! :blink:

international footy has nothing to do with national pride, and everything to do with xenophobia. i saw it tonight, i see it every day in the british press, and i saw it four years ago when i was in italy.

Hear hear.

Although I am Welsh (family & heritage), I was born in England & have lived there for at least half my life. I have no problem with the average England fan & wish them the best.

But before the game had EVEN KICKED OFF, Clive Tydelsey's xenophobic rantings immediately switched my support to Trinidad. I don't mind a bit of bias, but he really was too much. Peter Drury too, in the Ecuador v Costa Rica game.

There were disaparaging remarks about the standards of the Welsh & Northern Irish National teams and Scottish League by Tydelsey during the game

and then these media fuckwits can't understand why the majority of football fans from those three countries want anyone other than England to win.

C'mon Sweden and Ecuador/Germany. Don't blame me, blame the media.

This thread is getting like the mother's union. I don't consider myself xenophopic but I do think it's OK to take some pride in being English. I confess I don't like the pot-bellied beer-swilling English fans who sing the Lichenstein national anthem at every opportunity. If they insist on doing that they could at least go to the trouble of learning the sixth verse of the similar English anthem:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

Personally I prefer Blake's: And did those feet.....

As a "media F*****t" myself all I can say is that not all hacks are intent on stoking up national fervour. Most of the reports this morning were pretty critical but suppose Crouch, Lampard and Owen had not miscued their earlier shots. The result might have been 5-0 when everyone would have being saying what a terrific performance based on exactly the same game play, the only difference being better finishing.

I want England to win the World Cup... seems I'm in a minority.

Hear hear.

Although I am Welsh (family & heritage), I was born in England & have lived there for at least half my life. I have no problem with the average England fan & wish them the best.

But before the game had EVEN KICKED OFF, Clive Tydelsey's xenophobic rantings immediately switched my support to Trinidad. I don't mind a bit of bias, but he really was too much. Peter Drury too, in the Ecuador v Costa Rica game.

There were disaparaging remarks about the standards of the Welsh & Northern Irish National teams and Scottish League by Tydelsey during the game

and then these media fuckwits can't understand why the majority of football fans from those three countries want anyone other than England to win.

Totally Spot on there OoO That is EXACTLY my opinion too, I have no grudge towards the English people whatsoever it's the way that damn Media constantly go on, and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on....get the drift !!

see it's annoying isn't it..God even the English must be sick hearing 1966!!!

So in reality all it does is make us hope the sooner they go out the better, maybe then we can have some enterainment and just watch the football and I won't have to keep buying new TV's as I have a fine collection out in my lawn now.

Have fun

Scsi

You still don't get it. The reason the media go on and on about the England team is that people go on and on about it. In the gym this morning all anyone was talking about was last night's match. England must be the only team with 40m managers. Any tabloid editor who decided to ignore Rooney's metatarsal would be committing professional suicide.

The makers of the TV series Grumpy Old men need look no further than the DL.

Guest Guest

Believe me that with the blessed love of Jesus Christ Togo will win the world cup

WILLIAM

TOGO

Hear hear.

Totally Spot on there OoO That is EXACTLY my opinion too, I have no grudge towards the English people whatsoever it's the way that damn Media constantly go on, and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on, and on, and on and on....get the drift !!

see it's annoying isn't it..God even the English must be sick hearing 1966!!!

So in reality all it does is make us hope the sooner they go out the better, maybe then we can have some enterainment and just watch the football and I won't have to keep buying new TV's as I have a fine collection out in my lawn now.

Have fun

Scsi

Of course the media in Sweden, Ecuador and Germany are not biased, and had Scotland won the World Cup in 1978, that would have been the last we would have heard of it. :blink:

godot old son, you're right and i wouldn't dispute it. of course the media go on about it because it's popular. and of course there's no shame in being proud of being english (viz the countryside, the writing, vaughan williams, etc), which i am. my point (though i concede that you might not have been directing anything at me specifically) is that a lot of people are xenophobic when it comes to footy, and it spoils it for me. i do support england, as it goes, but i also have respect for the other teams, especially when they include english born or based players (i'm more likely to have seen the t&t team playing than england, as i go to league 1&2 games, not premiership). and that's sorely lacking in yer average boozer or tabloid rag.

two more things - i'm a media F*****t, too. and i am not a grumpy old man - i'm a grumpy middle-aged man, thank you.

and you're spot on, too, slave. all countries do it, because we're all still less civilised than we'd like to think.

...... had Scotland won the World Cup in 1978, that would have been the last we would have heard of it. :blink:

Off course it wouldn't SttG, but I doubt it would be referred to constantly and harped on about on national TV, nor would repeats of the winning game be shown on national TV, it would be restricted to regional TV like BBC Scotland and STV, mind you there would have to be an audience up here to watch it, most of us would die of shock if Scotland actually made it through the group stages of the World Cup or should that be qualify for the WC :D

First of all, why is F*****t in my original post showing in full, but others not. Interesting... :blink:

Godot, I think you've missed part of my argument - patrioism is fine. I am pleased English people love their country as much as I love Wales. I, as I said, have no problem with England fans.

Being rude & condenscing about everyone else is not, fine, however.. It's Tydelsey that the rant is about. I shouldn't expect any better from the biggest F*****t in football bar Ray Stubbs.

Not one person at the pub was slagging Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland & Trinidad. Neither were most of the players, papers, TV etc.

Only Tydelsey, in front of the entire nation, saw fit to ridicule every other nation bar England. Motson doesn't stoop so low.

There's just no need for it, that's all.

One other thing - the English national anthem (the one played at the Commonwealth Games) is "Land of Hope & Glory". "God Save The Queen" is the British National anthem. They only sing "GSTQ" as the words are easier for Beckham & Rio.

On other things:

Cambiasso's goal vs Serbia was one of THE greatest. What a game, what a performance, and what a goal! Thoroughly enjoyable. Argentina's performance was not only as good as Brazil's in 1970, but Reading FC's in 2005-06!!

and where's MPFC? Should someone check in on him? I say this as...

Paul Simpson left the club to become Preston North End boss. That's Carlisle f**ked. Hawley's bound to join his old boss.

F**k, F**k, F**k!

Screw the celebrity deaths and everything else around here. This is tragic!

Believe me that with the blessed love of Jesus Christ Togo will win the world cup

WILLIAM

TOGO

At last! Someone around here talking sense. Fly, mighty Sparrow Hawks, fly!

One other thing - the English national anthem (the one played at the Commonwealth Games) is "Land of Hope & Glory". "God Save The Queen" is the British National anthem.

Indeed, the English using GSTQ as their National Anthem helps keep more Scots republican (as well as that verse that we need not talk about). It makes the British Monarchy seem as though it belongs to England and most Scottish Nationalists resent that making my life more difficult (so much politics in such a simple game).

The lowdown on the ditty and THAT verse:

THE BRITISH NATIONAL ANTHEM

Like "Rule, Britannia" the National Anthem of Great Britain "God Save the King / Queen " was composed by Thomas Augustine Arne (1710-1778) and first sung in 1745 during the Jacobite invasion of England. It was performed after the staging of Ben Jonson's play The Alchemist at the Theatre Royal, London.

In an attempt to restore the Scottish House of Stuart to the throne Jacobite forces, under the leadership of Charles Edward Stuart, also known as Bonnie Prince Charlie or the Young Pretender, invaded England in 1745. They managed to defeat George II's army at Prestonpans. Bonnie Prince Charlie was proclaimed king in the market square of Preston and eventually reached the city of Derby.

The invasion constituted a serious threat to the monarchy at that time and this explains why the words of the National Anthem have the form of a prayer of petition for the safety and well-being of the monarch. The Jacobites were later defeated at Culloden 16th April 1746.

The invasion of England also explains the following anti-Scottish words that had also been inserted into the song:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King.

Marshall Wade, referred to in the above lines, was an officer in the army sent to halt the advance of the Jacobite troops in the north. The lines were appropriately omitted when the song was adopted as the British National Anthem.

The Birthday honours list will be published in about 20 minutes.

I wonder if the England Squad will be on it. Mind you, they can probably wait till the New Years Honours (just to see if they win anything first).

I'm neither nationalist nor patriotic. I don't think I live in God's own country, or even the best country in the world. Hell, we have a bunch of idiots running the country and most of my countrymen are wibbling morons. However, that's true for all nations, and I like it here most of the time.

Still, World Cup football, and the results of the Dutch side so far, give me a reason for some rare moments of shameless chest-beating. Two wins and we're in the second round, whatever happens Wednesday against Argentina.

Them Argentinians gave an impressive lesson in football today, I admit, but they'll meet their match next Wednesday. Come on, Holland, you can win it! :blink:

yours proudly,

Hein

jeez, mh, that's basically how i feel about beng english. except i've faffed around and not been so succinct! it would be about time holland won it - robbed blind in 74&78 when they were the most beautiful side in each finals - the concept of total football being all that kept me goin through several dire years at brisbane road. the moronic clive tyldsely was rambling on about it being too early for this dutch side to win it as they aren't at their peak yet as a team... how many years does he think ruud has left at the very top? commentators, eh? tyldseley is an all-time low... him& pleat paired is a 'reach for the mute' marriage.

i'd love to be proud of an england performance, but so far it's been the whole being less than the sum. erickson wouldn't know how to get off the back foot if you showed him a diagram written on the body of a naked blonde.

meanwhile, back in the real world - simpson may regret that move. preston is a bit of a poisoned chalice in my view - after moyes and so many play-offs, anything less than promotion (and automatic at that) may be seen as failure. as long as carlisle don't make a move for lingy... maybe martin allen? only an idiot would go to mk franchise fc (go on, tell me he's signed and i missed it!)

In an earlier post it was suggested by Pulphack that the (I assume xenophobic) attitude of some football fans is what causes wars. What actually causes wars is the ability of a few people to manipulate the masses to further their own ends. Reading the above posts it would appear that in Clive Tyldseley (sp?) we have a potential dictator of Hitlerian proportions. Or perhaps he is just a bad commentator of limited intelligence who is simply getting caught up in the drama of a sporting event involving his country?

Reading the above posts it would appear that in Clive Tyldseley (sp?) we have a potential dictator of Hitlerian proportions. Or perhaps he is just a bad commentator of limited intelligence who is simply getting caught up in the drama of a sporting event involving his country?

Pah - Tyldseley is Goebbels to Ray Stubbs Hitler. But at least it's easier to ignore Stubbs as you can just tune in for the start of the game. With Tyldsley (The man is SO evil it's impossible to spell his name correctly, however it is spelt) there's no escape, especially if you're watching at the pub.

Tyldesley & W**ker in google search reveal many of an equal mind:

Tydlesley is a W**ker

Tydlesley & Hitler reveal some VERY interesting links:-

Clive "adolf" Tydlesley Hitler & Tydlesley both "alleged" Everton fans and Is Tydlesley shagging Wayne Rooney? (probably as the Roonster prefers experience, I'm told :blink: )

Ah, this has been good. I've wasted a whole half-hour on Tydlesley but I feel at more peace with the world.

Until the next game on ITV.

oi slave - any fule kno i can't spell when posting. and EXCUSE me... only those with the power to manipulate the masses cause wars? they'd be very small wars if they were the only ones taking part. perhaps i should have been more accurate and said that its xenophobic masses manipulated by the few who cause wars. happy now? get off that high horse and look at the big picture. (i'll have my metaphors mixed, shaken not stirred)

and NEVER write my name with an upper case 'p'. very offensive.

oi slave - any fule kno i can't spell when posting. and EXCUSE me... only those with the power to manipulate the masses cause wars? they'd be very small wars if they were the only ones taking part. perhaps i should have been more accurate and said that its xenophobic masses manipulated by the few who cause wars. happy now? get off that high horse and look at the big picture. (i'll have my metaphors mixed, shaken not stirred)

and NEVER write my name with an upper case 'p'. very offensive.

I'm sorry pulphack, call me old fashioned, but I like to capitalize. The sp? referred to my spelling of Tyldesley. Perhaps now we can both get off our respective high horses and take a little time to smell the roses.

Is the expression, 'pot calling the kettle black', a metaphor?