no, probably not, but it is accurate, i'll admit... however, i draw the line at having to admit liking tyldesley, however he's spelt. i think i may have have been drinking in the sun too much, slave,. and we all know what that does... next door to xenophobia and corporals with delusions of grandeur...

Yeah OoO the perfect link my friend..aka... is that dobber shaggin' rooney ....was totally sickophantic ( K I've had a few however the hell it's spelled) but you get my point. What a sad, sad man he is, but hey it's all good at the end of the day...it's just more Ammo he's giving us to fire at him.

Gotta say I was impressed by the determination of the US 2nite good on you guys, I thought it was gonna be a cricket score for Italy but was pleasantly surprised unfortunately I am now more than convinced that Italy should get a diving team organised for the Olympics every year it's held, tho I guess without grass they'd be lost.

Ghana did very well and it'd be awesome to see an African team go the distance..it's only a matter of time really lets be honest !!!

Good to see Holland progressing too what was it ...1st goal they let in in 35 competitive games..nice one MVB ( he's still the best player I ever saw IMHO)

And as far as being Scottish...hey no reality check needed here at all.. we're sh*t and we know we are..but god...we can put on a Party !!!

I'll even supply the Haggis ( yeah emmm that's a wee beastie with two long legs and two short ones that runs round the top of mountains :blink: no honestly...it is !!!

Till the Next game

Scsi

I think this World Cup has been good so far: the football has been great (esp. Argentina)

and the supporters have been great, including the English. But the media have been apalling,

right through from the tabloids to the broadsheets and television.

There's nothing wrong with supporting your country, with hope as well as expectation. But it's the

snide comments, paricularly from the commentators that has been off-putting.

Take Tyldesley for example. He commentated on the Czech Rep vs Ghana game (great match BTW),

and he was very good: his voice was on a lower register than for England games and imparted the

occasion with a studied impariality (as you would). But when it comes to England games, he chucks

any sense of proportion out of the window and witters on hysterically.

The best TV commentators are Steve Wilson (BBC) and John Champion (ITV) who are both ranked third

in the running by their channels. And don't get me started on the pundits....

Guest Guest

Is it true that there's an island on Loch Lomond in Scotland, which hosts a colony of wallabies and no one knows how they got there? :blink:

Is it true that there's an island on Loch Lomond in Scotland, which hosts a colony of wallabies and no one knows how they got there? :blink:

Yes it's true, see report here.

We have them on Isle of Man too. Though I'm not sure what this has to do with anything

We have them on Isle of Man too. Though I'm not sure what this has to do with anything

I agree, shouldn't these posts be on the 'Animal Antics' thread rather than the 'Football Thread'?

I think those Walabees on the Isle of Man set up their colony in the seventies when they were shipping shed loads of cash in repeat fees on a few documentaries and films in which they'd starred. The Manx tax situation was considerably better than the rest of the UK in those days. They considered moving but with the founding of the Isle of Man Film Commission decided to stick around, or summat.

On second thoughts maybe I put a bit too much in the bong this afternoon.

I think those Walabees on the Isle of Man set up their colony in the seventies when they were shipping shed loads of cash in repeat fees on a few documentaries and films in which they'd starred. The Manx tax situation was considerably better than the rest of the UK in those days. They considered moving but with the founding of the Isle of Man Film Commission decided to stick around, or summat.

On second thoughts maybe I put a bit too much in the bong this afternoon.

:lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps a mod had better move these posts. I don't think the football fans will want to be reading about wallabies and manxness

Handy, do you think the Walabees will turn up to watch the annual Isle of Man footie tournament this year, you know, the get together at which a few - mainly northern - league teams warm up for the new season? Maybe they could don shirts and work as mascots. Maybe if they did, these posts could stay on this thread and we could get to the real issues, like who's gonna replace Paul Simpson as Carlisle manager.

I'd say Mervyn Day, if we could tempt him back.

the carlisle problem is perplexing. will whoever goes in be keeping the seat warm for when simmo leaves preston after they fail to get promoted again? much as he was the seat warmer for steve parkin at rochdale. or will it be someone who can really drive them forward. in which case... mervyn day? c'mon, mary, i know the guy was a good keeper for you (though i can remember when he was going to be england's no.1 before a crisis of confidence forced him out at west ham - does this make him psychologically suspect under pressure?), but he's been a non-dynamic no.2 to alan curbishly who, despite his achievements, is the john major of football. that hardly bodes well, does it. mind, he must be out of a job, as iain dowie will want bob to join him - the dowies: footy's kray twins. i'd love some tabloid photographer to re-do the bailey krays shot with them!

Hi. Just back from another delightful night on the town in Hannover.

Just wanted to say how grand I think it is that lots of people of various nationalities are all having a spectacularly good time together. Spent some time withe some Scottish football enthusiasts (again) and slightly more time with some Australians (who are very proud that their team has got further in a World Cup than ever before. ie: won one game).

Felt a bit sorry for the solitary Swiss fan mind you. I reckon Switzerland has fewer supporters than Carlisile United,

France 1 - South Korea 1

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yup. They got what they deserved.

OK, my hope that the French will go out without a goal scored has died, but my hope that they'll go out without a win still lives.

I've read somewhere that success isn't good enough, friends must be seen to fail. I'm a happy man.

regards,

Hein

France 1 - South Korea 1

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D

It would really be hilarious if France lost their next game against Togo. Not that I believe that it will happen :lol:

Pulphack, a bit unfair on our Mervyn I'd say. His one full-time management job was at Carlisle under the hated chairmanship of Michael Knighton where with limited resources he won the Auto Windscreens Beer Tray and got us promoted from Division Three (as then was). The two teams above us that year (96-97) were Wigan and Fulham who both proved to be ambitious way beyond that lowly league.

I've always understood his partnership with Curbs to be one where he does a lot of the bringing on of players and day to day motivation stuff. In other words he's good at getting the best out of people and his tactical master plans were good enough for us back a few years ago. Like John Gorman, I think he works well with someone else at a higher level but would prove a damn good manager where we are.

crouch - good club striker, but not really international material, is he? a hat-trick against a jamaica who played the first half like they'd been toking in the tunnel is not a decent indicator - and god help him if we go to penalties. goalkeeper and defence are sound, and the midfield is strong on going forward and scoring IF sven's system doesn't have them running into each other.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't "get" Peter Crouch, ditto Owen Hargreaves. I'd started to doubt my sanity. Hope they both get injured and/or two yellow cards and a ban.

Believe me that with the blessed love of Jesus Christ Togo will win the world cup

WILLIAM

TOGO

William, I think even JC himself might have struggled to manage Togo for this World Cup, however may I take the opportunity to say how much I admire your spirited optimism. :lol:

Believe me that with the blessed love of Jesus Christ Togo will win the world cup

WILLIAM

TOGO

Switzerland 2 Togo 0

With that loss to Switzerland, Togo has been eliminated from the next round.

Switzerland 2 Togo 0

With that loss to Switzerland, Togo has been eliminated from the next round.

And Star Crossed loses a fiver to the bookmaker. :lol:

If Germany fail to beat Ecuador yesterday and thus finish 2nd in their group, should England tank the game against Sweden to avoid the hosts in the next round? A similar situation came up in a tournament in Asia a few years ago. Home team finished 2nd in its group, so the next day when the two leaders of the other group met both figured it would be better to lose to avoid the home team in the semi-finals. Towards the end of the game both teams started intentionally scoring own goals, with the attackers on both teams turning into defenders trying to stop the own goals going in. Sportsmanship at its finest. The highlights were awesome.

Switzerland 2 Togo 0

With that loss to Switzerland, Togo has been eliminated from the next round

So that'll be 23 footballers TO GO then (arf!).