The Netherlands played ok, but I thought that Mexico played an excellent game against Iran. Their 3-1 victory was one of the best games I have seen in the tournment so far. Especially those 2 goals scored by Omar Bravo.

• Like 1

The Netherlands played ok, but I thought that Mexico played an excellent game against Iran. Their 3-1 victory was one of the best games I have seen in the tournment so far. Especially those 2 goals scored by Omar Bravo.

The Netherlands played ok-ish, but they certainly didn't show their best game. The early goal made life easier and the heat didn't encourage aggressive play. They played a decent first half, but the second they started weak, with a few scary moments in the box. Even keeper Van der Sar didn't always do the right thing, but fortunately no damage resulted. The result is certainly encouraging.

I didn't watch Mexico v. Iran. but just saw the highlights on the box. A thoroughly entertaining match.

I'm looking forward to Australia's match against Japan tomorrow. Can Hiddink do it again?

regards,

Hein

The Netherlands played ok-ish, but they certainly didn't show their best game. The early goal made life easier and the heat didn't encourage aggressive play. They played a decent first half, but the second they started weak, with a few scary moments in the box. Even keeper Van der Sar didn't always do the right thing, but fortunately no damage resulted. The result is certainly encouraging.

I didn't watch Mexico v. Iran. but just saw the highlights on the box. A thoroughly entertaining match.

I'm looking forward to Australia's match against Japan tomorrow. Can Hiddink do it again?

regards,

Hein

Yeah MH I've really been up for what is Guus gonna pull off this time around I hope him & his team do well....once again :lol:

interesting to note that chelsea players in the world cup so far haven't been diving as they usually do (hello mr's robben, crespo, and drogba) with the noteable exception of joe cole! best part of the england game was, frankly, hearing that senile drooling cretin motson claim that cole never goes down that easily! or maybe that's just in his senile old motty dreams... (bring back barry davies, for god's sakes. sh*t, i think i'm turning into brian glanville...) seriously, though, it's been great to see drogba, crespo and robben really play, without worrying about tumbling over to please mr mourihno.

Their 3-1 victory was one of the best games I have seen in the tournment so far. Especially those 2 goals scored by Omar Bravo.

<_< One was a tap-in from a free-kick. Are you really saying that the 1st goal was a better one than the third, Naelson's wonderful header from a creative passing movement?

Brian Glanville wrote one of my favourate childhood books "Goalkeepers Are Crazy" , at least I think it was him....that is to say that it was written by Brian Glanville but I'm not sure if it was the Brian Glanville referred to in the posts above. Does anyone know?

Yes it was, his whole career has been downhill ever since he started taking himself too seriously.

I've seen enough self-depreaciating humour from your end to suggest you're saveable Pulphack, anyway following a moderately successful team is a way of maintaining contact with the real world.

I think that match against Paraguy (or whoever it was) is enough proof to show that Engalnd don't have the ability to lift the World Cup this year.

They played a paratrooper? Just the one? If eleven guys have trouble beating one para-guy then I'd say you're right, they haven't a show.

Boah, ey!

Just back from the centre of Hannover after Italy's victory here over Ghana. They're still at it down there.

Those lads certainly know how to celebrate. Blimey oh and all that.

In true DeathList loser style, I bought myself an Argentina shirt in the hope of stimulating the sympathy vote. Might try another tactic tomorrow...

I've never been a huge fan of Football, but I've found myself getting into it as of late. Now that the U.S. lost to the Czech Republic though, everyone here seems to have lost interest... <_<

Aye CP, I was a bit surprised at the lack of tactical invention in the US side, they've got some skill and some good players, a fair few of whom ply their trade in the UK. Like South Africa the USA is a sleeping giant of football potential. Regardless of the popularity of American Football there's real potential in the country for 'Soccer' to take off since so many immigrant communities in the US are drawn from nations in South America, East Europe or places like Scotland and Italy where football is massive. If and when the national team get the right coach and hook up the potential things might change massively.

Regardless of the popularity of American Football there's real potential in the country for 'Soccer' to take off since so many immigrant communities in the US are drawn from nations in South America, East Europe or places like Scotland and Italy where football is massive.

If the US is anything like Canada in this regard, then it already has, to a lesser degree. Amateur football (of the 'soccer' variety) is MASSIVE in Canada - tons of leagues for all ages and genders. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't translate through to the professional level. There used to be a number of cities in Canada that had professional teams, but they all seem to have folded. I've seen the Canadian national team play several times, including an absolutely cracking match against Australia wherein both goalkeepers were red-carded.

Not sure how my loyalties would lie/be divided if Canada were in the World Cup alongside England. Luckily/Sadly, it doesn't look as though that eventuality will come to pass anytime soon.

Looks like good ol' Guus did indeed pull a rabbit out of the hat. Good on him.

Although watching the matches kick off at 11pm, 2am and 5am respectively is going to take its toll on me by the end of the comp. You Euro-types don't know how good you've got it.

Although watching the matches kick off at 11pm, 2am and 5am respectively is going to take its toll on me by the end of the comp. You Euro-types don't know how good you've got it.

I'm currently following the Stanley Cup finals (ice hockey) which Channel 5 - bless 'em!! - are showing live. Maches start at 1am in England and generally last for 3 hours minimum. This makes for a very sleepy ie+... especially when I have to be up during the day to watch the footie.

Looks like good ol' Guus did indeed pull a rabbit out of the hat. Good on him.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the last 10 minutes of the match.

Heh. Four years ago watching World Cup matches live caused us to lose lots of sleep.

Anyway, Korea v. Togo's on soon, with Dick Advocaat (who some of us may remember as the Dutch manager at Euro 2004) managing the former.

regards,

Hein

I've never been a huge fan of Football, but I've found myself getting into it as of late. Now that the U.S. lost to the Czech Republic though, everyone here seems to have lost interest... <_<

USA played like crap and deserved to lose 3-0 to the Czech Republic in their match. We have some good match-ups today though :D

France vs Switzerland

Brazil vs Croatia

South Korea vs Togo

I've never been a huge fan of Football, but I've found myself getting into it as of late. Now that the U.S. lost to the Czech Republic though, everyone here seems to have lost interest... :)

USA played like crap and deserved to lose 3-0 to the Czech Republic in their match. We have some good match-ups today though :)

France vs Switzerland

Brazil vs Croatia

South Korea vs Togo

One of my best friends is Croatian, so I'm quite interested in watching the Brazil vs. Croatia match. Luckily, I only have a 10 minute final today, so I'll have plenty of time.

At first my roommate and I laughed when we heard that Brazil and Croatia were going up against each other - but I looked it up and Croatia has a surprisingly strong record. It should be a good one to watch.

I've never been a huge fan of Football, but I've found myself getting into it as of late. Now that the U.S. lost to the Czech Republic though, everyone here seems to have lost interest... :)

USA played like crap and deserved to lose 3-0 to the Czech Republic in their match. We have some good match-ups today though :)

France vs Switzerland

Brazil vs Croatia

South Korea vs Togo

Luckily, I only have a 10 minute final today.

a ten minute final exam? Good god man, it certainly wasn't like that in my day. Exams lasted for three weeks. Each. No bringing in notes, or text books, and laptops were a distant glimmer in Bill Gates' mind. And we weren't allowed to bring in writing implements either, we had to make pencils out of wood and lumps of coal.

a ten minute final exam? Good god man, it certainly wasn't like that in my day. Exams lasted for three weeks. Each. No bringing in notes, or text books, and laptops were a distant glimmer in Bill Gates' mind. And we weren't allowed to bring in writing implements either, we had to make pencils out of wood and lumps of coal.

Well it is an oral final for Arabic. :)

For the duration of the World Cup, I will change my avatar to a picture of my tonsorial role model.

Anubis, thought you wuz Jimmy Page, not Art Garfunkel!

Incidentally, discussion on Art and his pretentious beyond belief web site has gone a little quiet of late. Maybe we should re-instigate our abuse of the man who is touring the UK soon.

Anubis, thought you wuz Jimmy Page, not Art Garfunkel!

Incidentally, discussion on Art and his pretentious beyond belief web site has gone a little quiet of late. Maybe we should re-instigate our abuse of the man who is touring the UK soon.

Actually, the person is Carlos Valderrama. He was the captain of Colombia's world cup team during the 1990, 1994, and 1998 World Cups, before announcing his retirement from international compitition.

Carlos Valderrama

carlosvalderrama9vt.jpg