Finally! A really excellent game of football has been played in this world cup. Argentina and Mexico were a true pleasure to watch; hopefully this was just a preview of greater things to come in the upcoming weeks. :P

Definitely the best match so far, as expected the South Americans beat the North Americans,

although it was slightly spoilt by some dodgy refereeing decisions.

Definitely the best match so far, as expected the South Americans beat the North Americans, although it was slightly spoilt by some dodgy refereeing decisions.

But THAT goal made up for it. Probably one of the best goals I've ever seen. Great World Cup this, just keeps getting better & better!

Definitely the best match so far, as expected the South Americans beat the North Americans,

Agreed, though I do think it's so easy for those of us watching from a birdseye view to be critical of close calls.

Not for the first time, today as I was watching the games I wondered to myself why the world of football does not embrace technology and have a third ref "upstairs" whom the refs on the pitch can call on when needed. Granted ice hockey moves at a much quicker pace, and the object being scored with is much smaller. But they use video replay in cricket and, I believe, in rugby. Why not in football? Wouldn't it make for a better game allround? If the argument is purely that it'll slow the game down because of constantly "going upstairs" then as far as I'm concerned that's rubbish based on the following two points: #1 - it's been more-than-adequately demonstrated in other sports not to be the case; #2 - surely all of the appeals and all of the rolling around on the grass like sissies slows the game down even more.

FIFA heed my call: time for football to move into the 21st century, that's what I say!

Hugh Baird, former player for Leeds United, Aberdeen & Airdrie, has died, aged 76, just days after being awarded, some 50 years late, his one & only footballing cap for Scotland. A shame, but at least he lived to be awarded the cap.

Obit

We all love Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds etc....Robinson, Ferdinand, Lennon

First of all: a fine match it was. The outcome didn't surprise me, but Mexico made a real fight of it. Rodriguez's goal was fabulous.

Agreed, though I do think it's so easy for those of us watching from a birdseye view to be critical of close calls.

Not for the first time, today as I was watching the games I wondered to myself why the world of football does not embrace technology and have a third ref "upstairs" whom the refs on the pitch can call on when needed. Granted ice hockey moves at a much quicker pace, and the object being scored with is much smaller. But they use video replay in cricket and, I believe, in rugby. Why not in football? Wouldn't it make for a better game allround? If the argument is purely that it'll slow the game down because of constantly "going upstairs" then as far as I'm concerned that's rubbish based on the following two points: #1 - it's been more-than-adequately demonstrated in other sports not to be the case; #2 - surely all of the appeals and all of the rolling around on the grass like sissies slows the game down even more.

FIFA heed my call: time for football to move into the 21st century, that's what I say!

They're a conservative lot, football officials, but it will happen. We're watching a well organised tournament with some great football. Bad refereeing is taking at least some of the glitter away. If FIFA don't see that now, they will when sponsors pull out.

regards,

Hein

What a total sham was todays World Cup football. That's several hours I'll never get back. In the afternoon I watched Tunisia v Ukraine. It was horrible. In the evening I watched Togo v France. It was horrible.

I wish Switzerland and Spain all the best in their second round matches.

regards

Magerildo

I saw the replay of the Ukraine vs. Tunisia game at karoke bar. I'd have to disagree with you MH, because that was by far the most entertaining match I've ever seen.

In retrospect, however, not having a voice while talking to two immigration officers wasn't the best way to win my "I forgot the form at home" case. Lucky lucky lucky I was today. :P

In retrospect, however, not having a voice while talking to two immigration officers wasn't the best way to win my "I forgot the form at home" case. Lucky lucky lucky I was today. :P

You "got lucky" whilst talking to two immigration officers? :P Far be it from me to make a joke about rubber gloves and KY jelly...

"crOUCHyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!"

Argentina 2 Mexico 1

Agreed. It was definitely the most exciting game so far. Both teams were evenly matched and the game could have gone either way. In fact, Argentina looked vulnerable early on and gave Mexico a few chances in the first 15 minutes. Bollocks to that defense man Borgetti. What was he thinking? Giving the Argentines a free goal with that header! The goal scored by Rodriguez in overtime was a beauty. That was such a brilliant shot, right in the top corner. The Mexican goalkeeper, Sanchez had no chance of saving it.

Germany 2 Sweden 0

It was a lopsided affair from the beginning. Germany just overpowered Sweden in a true blitzkrieg tactic. 12 minutes into the game Sweden was already down 2-0, courtesy of goals by Podolski. To make matters, Sweden was down to 10 men 35 minutes into the game due to a second yellow card given to Lucic. It seemed that Sweden was not able to take advantage of any of the few opportunities that were handed to them. Larsson's penalty miss was just pathetic and Sweden just surrendered the match after that.

Your Brazilian football name generated as you watch. I'm FUNCINHO.

Apparently I'm

SCSINHO

hhaha that's quite good actually..but LG's is priceless... I just hope she posts it :P

regards

Scsi - nho

Your Brazilian football name generated as you watch. I'm FUNCINHO.

Apparently I'm

SCSINHO

hhaha that's quite good actually..but LG's is priceless... I just hope she posts it ;)

regards

Scsi - nho

Charming, when I put Godot in both boxes it gives me, wait for it.....Godildo

5 minutes to kick off in the England -v- Equador, predictions any one?

I'll go England 1 Equador 2

;)

5 minutes to kick off in the England -v- Equador, predictions any one?

I'll go England 1 Equador 2

;)

scsi had a dream last night that Ecuador won 5-2.

Rooney to get sent off for fighting ;)

Isn't Rooney just a shaved chimp, or is that insulting to chimps?

Yes it is. I thought we'd established elsewhere on the forum the many talents of Cheetah the Chimp

5 minutes to kick off in the England -v- Ecuador, predictions any one?

I'll go England 1 Ecuador 2

;)

Damn, now you know why I dont have any hits on my DDP nor my HDP.

OK then, how about Portugal - v - Holland?

Portugal 0 Holland 3 (apologies in advance to MH, just in case)

5 minutes to kick off in the England -v- Ecuador, predictions any one?

I'll go England 1 Ecuador 2

;)

Damn, now you know why I dont have any hits on my DDP nor my HDP.

OK then, how about Portugal - v - Holland?

Portugal 0 Holland 3 (apologies in advance to MH, just in case)

Portugal 2 - Netherlands 1

After extra time.

Shaved? I think not.

Netherlands 3 - Portugal 1 (apologies to my brother-in-law ;) )

Your Brazilian football name generated as you watch.

Using Lady Grendel I'm LOSA.

Very appropriate as any team I support tend to be the losing one, I'm convinced I'm a jinx.

I take it you'll be supporting England in the next round then? ;)

It's such a shame that the UK doesn't have any real sports. I mean who cares about soccer or football what ever you want to call it. The UK should atleast get a baseball team.

Portugal 1 Netherlands 0

What a fabulously bad tempered game that was, four players sent off, 16 yellow cards, equalling the record for a World Cup match.

All it needed was for a mass fist fight to break out, that ref was somewhat of a yellow card nutter, still it made for interesting viewing.

All those Portuguese yellow cards are good news for England.

I think I'll get the admins to change my name to Kiss of Death

Your Brazilian football name generated as you watch.

Using Lady Grendel I'm LOSA.

Very appropriate as any team I support tend to be the losing one, I'm convinced I'm a jinx.

I take it you'll be supporting England in the next round then? ;)

I may well be HCW, as I hadn't forgiven Porto for cheating my team in the 2003 EUFA Cup Final, I supported England against Portugal in Euro 2004 and they went out, I hope you will be joining me ;) .

The results this week-end are proof, if proof were needed, that football really is the 'beautiful game'. The drama, the excitement.

Ultimately the bitter and twisted will be right and France/England, or whoever will lose. As in life, ultimately we will all lose and die, but as of now some teams are still taking part and I for one am really enjoying it, until of course the inevitable happens.