Can Georgia do like Greece in 2004 ? We’ll see as they’re going to face Spain, to me the best team, next Monday.

18 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Can Georgia do like Greece in 2004 ? We’ll see as they’re going to face Spain, to me the best team, next Monday.

Quite honestly I'd be amazed if that wasn't the end of their road. But I just hope, if it is, that they go out the way they've approached the tournament thus far - they've been an absolute breath of fresh air.

It's interesting that while a large number of vocal English fans have been loudly proclaiming that we have no chance against any half-decent team, the bookies (who generally are pretty good at these things) still have England as favourites. Certainly that's going to be in part because we have an "easier" half of the draw, but how often do we see teams starting tournaments slowly, improving once we get to the knockout stage and ultimately winning it. Remember Argentina losing to Saudi Arabia at the last World Cup - whatever happened to them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Austria more likely to do a Greece IMO. 

I was going to say the same thing. Would not be surprised if we were playing them in the semi (assuming we beat Slovakia and Italy/Switzerland). Georgia would likely need to beat Spain, Germany and Portugal or France to get to the final. That's a big ask.

1 hour ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Quite honestly I'd be amazed if that wasn't the end of their road. But I just hope, if it is, that they go out the way they've approached the tournament thus far - they've been an absolute breath of fresh air.

It's interesting that while a large number of vocal English fans have been loudly proclaiming that we have no chance against any half-decent team, the bookies (who generally are pretty good at these things) still have England as favourites. Certainly that's going to be in part because we have an "easier" half of the draw, but how often do we see teams starting tournaments slowly, improving once we get to the knockout stage and ultimately winning it. Remember Argentina losing to Saudi Arabia at the last World Cup - whatever happened to them?

Spain lost in 2010 to Switzerland first up as I recall too...

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Spain lost in 2010 to Switzerland first up as I recall too...

Aye and then Spain bored their way to the title!

Austria have impressed me too. Before the tournament I heard folk talking them up and thought "in that group? Good luck". And they went and won it. Turkey have been fun too. Should be a good game, that. Watch it end 0-0 now.

The less said about Scotland the better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Through other than the fact they a non big nation they rather different. Austria are enjoyable to watch. Greece 2004 were not. 

The only future European Champion who, like Austria, lost his opening game, are the Netherlands in Euro 88, who was also hosted by Germany.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2024 at 18:17, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Yeah, was in Vienna a fortnight ago and having a beer with a few locals who reckoned their side lack stars but have organisation and a sense of their own strength, they fancied them as an outside bet to go the whole way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, was in Vienna a fortnight ago and having a beer with a few locals who reckoned their side lack stars but have organisation and a sense of their own strength, they fancied them as an outside bet to go the whole way

I was visiting a company in Austria just before the tournament started. They thought they had a group of Death so progress beyond the group stages would be a victory. 

Switzerland-Austria semi-final anybody? The Alpine Derby.

Lineker pun incoming: Like taking Akanji from a baby.