Did anyone see the 50 greatest World Cup goals on Channel 5 last night? if so, did anyone see the appalling condition Brian Glanville appeared to be in. Used to write for The Times. Can't find much out about his health, but it looked like it might be advanced throat cancer or something.

Any additional info beyond wild speculation over two seconds of a video clip would be appreciated.

Oddly I have never been able to generate any interest in Soccer. I know it is becoming a rather popular sport in recent times but what exactly is it which seems to grab people's interest? Is it those green fields they play on? The filthy ball they whack with their heads? The pathetically undernourished bodies that many of the players have? I just don't get it. I'll stick with baseball and American football.

• Shocked 1

Bruno:

There's a football thread on the forum, people get in a lather if we discuss the beautiful game too freely on other threads. Please drop in and peruse the posts, you might gain yerself an insight into why some of us out here love it.

Guest Guest
Did anyone see the 50 greatest World Cup goals on Channel 5 last night? if so, did anyone see the appalling condition Brian Glanville appeared to be in. Used to write for The Times. Can't find much out about his health, but it looked like it might be advanced throat cancer or something.

Any additional info beyond wild speculation over two seconds of a video clip would be appreciated.

Yes.

That's Glanville being laconic, he was in a comfy chair, after all.

Not seriously ill as far as I know.

However the man smokes like a chimney & has a penchant for all things unhealthy. I don't think he'll be alive for more than 5 years, which is a huge shame as he's probably the only guy worth listening/reading too these days.

If Ray Stubbs, who is the anti-Brian Glanville, died, I would cheer as it would be no loss to mankind.

Oddly I have never been able to generate any interest in Soccer. I know it is becoming a rather popular sport in recent times but what exactly is it which seems to grab people's interest? Is it those green fields they play on? The filthy ball they whack with their heads? The pathetically undernourished bodies that many of the players have? I just don't get it. I'll stick with baseball and American football.

What people find interesting in football (I refuse to call it soccer) is pretty much the same as what people find interesting in other sports: singing and cheering for your team, hoping they win, insulting the opponents and a few pints with your mates before and after the match[1].

I think the deciding factor in one's choice of sport is what you grow up with. In Europe that's almost always football. Of course every country has one or more other popular sports. In mine it's speed skating.

[1] At Feyenoord home matches, which I regularly visit, beer is still served, but it's horrible 2.5% ABV stuff, sold at an extortionate price.

regards,

Hein

that's a good point - when american football/gridiron/whatever was briefly big in the uk in the 80's, and we could finally understand the rules as opposed to just getting brief glimpses of it on movies and tv, it suddenly made sense. kind of chess with thuggery. i think cricket has something in common with it: a complex game that seems baffling to those who weren't brought up in the culture that spawned it.

i think i'd prefer baseball if i was living in the usa; it looks a fine game from the little i've seen. basketball is kinda cool, too - i used to play it when i was at school. they'd send groups of london schoolkids to the michael sobell centre in finsbury park, where they had a resident american basketball coach who grew more exasperated each week - 'bounce the ball, man, it's not f****n' netball!'

Very depressing, just went out of the office to get a sandwich, already loads of people in town not in suits finding a pub to spend the rest of the day in watching the footy. :)

Still, hats off to the two blokes I saw at 9 this morning already staggering down the road, england shirts off and draped over their shoulders, copies of The Sun tucked under their arms... that is the official dress code I believe, although for full effect they should have been sunburnt and had much larger beer bellies. :(

And don't forget, this country is now officially called Eng-er-land for the next month.

Still, hats off to the two blokes I saw at 9 this morning already staggering down the road, england shirts off and draped over their shoulders, copies of The Sun tucked under their arms... that is the official dress code I believe, although for full effect they should have been sunburnt and had much larger beer bellies. :)

As I understand it the most important dress item is ten pints of lager.

The next few weeks my country will be deeply devided between a majority that's running around in silly orange clothes, grunting only a few words if they can speak at all and, OTOH, grumpy people wondering where our collective common sense has gone.

I'm, of course, firmly part of the majority. I hope we get revenge for Munich, 7 July 1974.

regards,

Hein

Very depressing, just went out of the office to get a sandwich, already loads of people in town not in suits finding a pub to spend the rest of the day in watching the footy. :)

And don't forget, this country is now officially called Eng-er-land for the next month.

It's going to be hell for the next month for those of us who'd rather watch Rugby, and regard footballers, and those who support them, as prime candidates for culling.

However, I drew Switzerland in the office sweepstake so......(to be sung whilst exiting)

Switzerland Switzerland Switzerland

here we go ........

Re Brian Glanville; His erudite and - sometimes - over-laboured footie writing belongs in a world light years away from the beer bellies and 'En-ger-land!' I wonder if he gets excited about a World Cup or whether the doomy; 'I lived too long,' feeling overwhelms him. It'd be kinda fitting if he suffered a fatal heart attack watching Wayne Roony baring his arse to a camera after smacking home a World Cup winning penalty.

Not that I think that'll really happen mind.

I got Japan in the sweepstake at work. That's bad isn't it?

Yep, put it this way, if they look useful the Europeon teams will simply field all their players over six foot and play for set pieces and crosses.

South Korea for me at work. Did anyone on this site actually draw a team with a decent chance of success. Admittedly SK have worked miracles in the past, but perhaps not this time!

DWB :)

Yep, put it this way, if they look useful the European teams will simply field all their players over six foot and play for set pieces and crosses.

Aye but those wee guys can turn quickly and they can run like hell. A bit like a whole team of Archie Gemmils if you get my meaning. (Hein will no doubt remember wee Archie quite well.)

Mind you Kaji took a heavy kicking from Schweinsteiger in the Germany-Japan preparatory game last week and probably won't be fit for similar treatment by Australia.

I had the pleasure of attending said game. A couple of moments of good football from the Japanese, but I honestly wouldn't fancy either Japan or Germany's chances against any proper football team.

So yes Handy, having Japan is bad. I see they have Brazil is in their group too.

Someone at my work had a great idea for a sweepstake, sadly it died of apathy. Basically 16 people would put in a fiver and get a number in return, allowing them to pick a team. So if you got #1 you'd probably pick Brazil etc. Everyone else could put in two quid and draw one of the remaining 'minnow' teams. The person with the World Cup winning team would pocket the £80 generated by all the fivers. The other winner would be decided by the minnow who went furthest, so if Japan got to the semi-final someone could win a few quid. In the event of a tie - say, Japan and Mexico both making the quarters and going out - the minnow money would go to the person who's team scored the most goals, if both teams scored the same number of goals it would be split down the middle. Of course if a minnow won........£112!!!

Sounded a good idea to me but only about a dozen people fancied a punt.

Yep, put it this way, if they look useful the Europeon teams will simply field all their players over six foot and play for set pieces and crosses.

excellent DWB, S. Korea came up for me in our softball team sweepstake. No one I know has anyone better than the likes of the plucky Koreans or Togo

No one I know has anyone better than the likes of the plucky Koreans or Togo

I don't understand why everyone thinks Togo are sh1t. My fiver (a bargain at 750:1) says they win the thing. Come on you Sparrow Hawks!

Winners of the World Cup 2006

togoboys7aq.jpg

......We're going to win the World Cup, MG.......

C'mon England!.......

England did not play very well today in their 1-0 victory against Paraguay. They will definitely need to improve for your sake BHB :)

But as they say. "A win is a win"

......We're going to win the World Cup, MG.......

C'mon England!.......

England did not play very well today in their 1-0 victory against Paraguay. They will definitely need to improve for your sake BHB :)

But as they say. "A win is a win"

I'd rather support Trinidad and Tobago, than England's overpaid prancing prima donnas.

especially as most of their team toil in league 1&2, so are more english grass roots than any of the england players. even dwight 'i like birds, me' yorke and shaka 'i AM a bloody rocket scientist' hislop are more roots than... owen hargreaves (plays in germany, and is canadian or something... never quite followed his labrynthine history without falling asleep - lik watching him play!).

No one I know has anyone better than the likes of the plucky Koreans or Togo

I don't understand why everyone thinks Togo are sh1t. My fiver (a bargain at 750:1) says they win the thing. Come on you Sparrow Hawks!

Togo just lost their World Cup football coach 3 days before their first game. That is definitely not a good sign.

Togo coach Pfister quits over pay

Well, in half an hour Serbia and Montenegro (a now defunct state, but who cares) will play the Netherlands. I'm off to the pub to watch. Let's hope the Dutch perform better than England yesterday.

regards,

Hein

Well, in half an hour Serbia and Montenegro (a now defunct state, but who cares) will play the Netherlands. I'm off to the pub to watch. Let's hope the Dutch perform better than England yesterday.

regards,

Hein

What, you mean actually score a goal be themselves?

I think that match against Paraguy (or whoever it was) is enough proof to show that Engalnd don't have the ability to lift the World Cup this year.

It's a bad Omen if they do win. Last time was '66 (It's not that I remember the date, just impossible to forget it in Britain) and this will be '06. It's those three sixes again.... :lol:

regards,

Hein

HAHAHA Awesome one there MH I liked that :lol: (naturally)

I just recently saw the game, I'm quite impressed with Robben BTW and just getting ready to go watch Portugal....laterz

scsi

Hein, respect to your boys, played well, looked to have much in reserve.

They'd collide with England in the quarter final if the seedings work out. We'll need a fit Roony to stand a chance on the performances this weekend.

• Like 1