Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Great Gigs In The Sky

I'll see your comments and raise you

William Hill offering the following odds on these bands playing a gig together by the end of 2016:

Evs Spice Girls - Three in search of a career, odds are fair

4/1 Westlife - See the Spice Girls

4/1 Oasis - ONE big payday at a festival might pay off Liam's drug dealer and remind the world the others are still alive

6/1 ABBA - WTF!! Very short odds on Hell freezing over, what do William Hill know?

6/1 Guns N Roses (to play with Slash) - See Oasis above, one song with a guest would count

8/1 Roxy Music - Aye, probably, Ferry has a new young squeeze and wants to impress

10/1 Wham - What do they both do all day anyway? 2016 is the 30th anniversary of the last gig

16/1 The Kinks - So song as Dave can take it easy. Personally think those odds too short, doubt this one.

20/1 Cream (Clapton and Baker) - Ginger needs cash but Eric needs no more work, unlikely

25/1 REM - No way, they meant it and it's too soon for the U turn

25/1 Dire Straits - (almost) ditto REM but it's been over 20 years, so it'd take the right event.

50/1 The Jam - NOPE

50/1 Led Zeppelin - They've reissued the whole catalogue without a gig and all three are hugely loaded (cash wise) unlikely.

Incidentally, my guess on an unlikely reunion would be CSNY cos Crosby's on borrowed time and Neil Young (who usually is the most resistant) is divorcing his wife of 36 years (so a few of his homes and much of his cash might have gone).

I'd have a tenner on Dire Straits playing a gig together by 2020, if only because they must be up there as one of the most mystifying exclusions from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (one of the biggest selling albums of all time, Proper Guitar Music With Bass And Drums, nothing remotely controversial or dodgy about them, got endless MTV play back in the day and still rock out AOR radio in 2015) and they'd have to go through "Walk of Life" et al on stage once to be inducted.

I'd have a tenner on Dire Straits playing a gig together by 2020, if only because they must be up there as one of the most mystifying exclusions from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (one of the biggest selling albums of all time, Proper Guitar Music With Bass And Drums, nothing remotely controversial or dodgy about them, got endless MTV play back in the day and still rock out AOR radio in 2015) and they'd have to go through "Walk of Life" et al on stage once to be inducted.

Walk of Life has recently been used in a TV commercial over here in the US. So that's a nice little earner for Knoplfer

0% on REM.

the other band members won't get together with Michael Stipe because they believe he's a self-centered narcissistic arrogant ass, a belief they've arrived at because.....well......they've met him.

SC

0% on REM.

the other band members won't get together with Michael Stipe because they believe he's a self-centered narcissistic arrogant ass, a belief they've arrived at because.....well......they've met him.

SC

So, on principle they'll send back royalties earned on any song featuring his self-centred narcissistic lyrics, then?

60% of the classic Bay City Rollers line up have collaborated in search of fan-cash. The two absentees are both still breathing. Derek Longmuir has a conviction for possessing indecent images of youngsters, so the Glitteresue whiff if he'd joined his brother might have been a bit much for the fans (though Derek continues to use words like "framed" and "innocent"). Elsewhere Eric Faulkner is now so right-on he boasts introducing Tony Benn at Glastonbury amongst his more recent live highlights.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34323112

60% of the classic Bay City Rollers line up have collaborated in search of fan-cash. The two absentees are both still breathing. Derek Longmuir has a conviction for possessing indecent images of youngsters, so the Glitteresue whiff if he'd joined his brother might have been a bit much for the fans (though Derek continues to use words like "framed" and "innocent"). Elsewhere Eric Faulkner is now so right-on he boasts introducing Tony Benn at Glastonbury amongst his more recent live highlights.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34323112

60% of the band but 100% of the weight; I remember (just) when I had a 28" waist. :(

So, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, The Eagles and The Stone Roses did it. Amongst those with all the core members still breathing who haven't, I guess the current We'll do it When Hell Freezes Over top 3 looks something like;

#1 Abba

# 2 The Smiths

# 3 New Order

All of whom could certainly command a decent fee if they headed out on the road again.

So, New Order albumed and toured this year.

I stand corrected on my poor predicting a few years back. I'll now confidently predict ABBA for the 2016 Hell Freezes Over award, albeit probably more of an event than proper reunion.

So, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, The Eagles and The Stone Roses did it. Amongst those with all the core members still breathing who haven't, I guess the current We'll do it When Hell Freezes Over top 3 looks something like;

#1 Abba

# 2 The Smiths

# 3 New Order

All of whom could certainly command a decent fee if they headed out on the road again.

I stand corrected on my poor predicting a few years back. I'll now confidently predict ABBA for the 2016 Hell Freezes Over award, albeit probably more of an event than proper reunion.

Not with Hooky though. That does still seem to tick the Hell Freezes Over box.

#1 Abba

# 2 The Smiths

# 3 New Order

Not with Hooky though. That does still seem to tick the Hell Freezes Over box.

A fair point, though the music press and the paying public didn't seem too affronted and the new album got generally good reviews. Tbh I was expecting the worst, and they did make a decent album IMHO.

THE BIGGEST REUNION IN POP was trailed yesterday.

It's this.

Yeah a Facebook friend was wetting herself over this one. First gig when she was 10, now she's going along to celebrate turning 40.

Coming soon, David Cassidy's SAGA sponsored tour of UK care homes

• Like 1

It's this.

Yeah a Facebook friend was wetting herself over this one. First gig when she was 10, now she's going along to celebrate turning 40.

Aye, imagine all those piss soaked XXL knickers being hurled at him!

It's this.

I'm not sure about this one. I loved Bros but they both look a bit plastic now and I'm not sure they'll be able to sing in them high voices at their age, unless someone's gripping their bollocks.

It's this.

I'm not sure about this one. I loved Bros but they both look a bit plastic now and I'm not sure they'll be able to sing in them high voices at their age, unless someone's gripping their bollocks.

Are you volunteering?

• Like 2

It's this.

Are you volunteering?

Naturally.

Interesting story on why Craig Logan will not be rejoining Bros on their reunion: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37642088

He owes them nothing in my opinion...

They'll catch him up money wise after this tour - but he's been minted for years

On 26/08/2015 at 11:36, Spade_Cooley said:

William Hill offering the following odds on these bands playing a gig together by the end of 2016:

Evs Spice Girls - No gigs, a Geri/Emma/Mel B planned reunion went nowhere, but they are going to voice a superhero movie together

4/1 Westlife - Nope, surprisingly.

4/1 Oasis - Nope

6/1 ABBA - See above

6/1 Guns N Roses (to play with Slash) - Yes! Fourth highest grossing concert tour of all time, and I bet every show was ruined by Axl being fucking awful live

8/1 Roxy Music - Nope

10/1 Wham - Bit of a spanner in the works there

16/1 The Kinks - And here

20/1 Cream (Clapton and Baker)  - Nope

25/1 REM - Nope

25/1 Dire Straits - Inducted into the R&R HoF last year, but Knopfler didn't turn up for the ceremony

50/1 The Jam - Apparently it's Rick Buckler stonewalling this, not Weller...

50/1 Led Zeppelin - Nope

Three years on....

27 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Three years on....

Three years on I'm seeing the odds above and wondering what they'd offer now on the surviving Creams and what would constitute a gig. Physically the pair of them might be incapable of more than ten minutes.

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Three years on....

Surprisingly Axl was really very good!

ABBA are somehow all still alive.

And somehow think it's a good idea to get back together....

18 hours ago, Deathray said:

ABBA are somehow all still alive.

And somehow think it's a good idea to get back together....

They announced two years ago they were doing just that,  Fuckers.  W’happen to that then??