Guest Guest

Steve Irwin

He would have been a good laugh round the dinner table or on a night out.

Personally I'll miss him & his patter

Croc on Stevo

regards

scsi

That'll be the seafood patter, I presume.

There's no doubt, he was a manta be admired.

Hey, suprise suprise, everyone one Myspace has started posting bulletins about how much they really miss Steve, and how they thought he was really awesome.

I don't mean to rain on any proverbial parades here, but I'll bet half of these people thought of his shows as 'rainy sunday afternoon' television. It's all just hopping on the bandwagon.

If you're gonna swim with stingrays, you are kind of asking for trouble. He was a good man, but it looks like all that crocodile wrestling meant he was unprepared for the different set of battle tactics that stongrays employ.

(Yes, I do use myspace, sad I know, but I'm not half as bad as the attention whoring assholes on there.)

I was shocked and sad to see him go, I admit when I first saw the news I had a bit of a cry, I liked Steve and I liked his style, his idea of animal conservation was unique and it made a lot of us think and appreciate it, hey due to him there are probably loads of live crocs that owe their life to this guy, plus tigers (and quite a few other animals he never got the credit for). Yes he was odd, daft (the baby thing, but the baby was never in danger), and downright mad, but if he died it should have been at the jaws of a croc, eaten by 'Jaws' or some other dramatic death, but to be the unlucky person that got a barb in the heart from one of the most docile beasts in the ocean? So unfair. I agree with Godot, a Darwin award candidate he is.

:rolleyes: Steve, Crocs rule!

Hey, suprise suprise, everyone one Myspace has started posting bulletins about how much they really miss Steve, and how they thought he was really awesome.

I don't mean to rain on any proverbial parades here, but I'll bet half of these people thought of his shows as 'rainy sunday afternoon' television. It's all just hopping on the bandwagon.

If you're gonna swim with stingrays, you are kind of asking for trouble. He was a good man, but it looks like all that crocodile wrestling meant he was unprepared for the different set of battle tactics that stongrays employ.

(Yes, I do use myspace, sad I know, but I'm not half as bad as the attention whoring assholes on there.)

The same's happening on the Melbourne Age's site. I think this guy's getting a bit carried away though.

I am in shock. I barely know how to express how I feel right now. I feel much the same way right now as when I learned -- also from breaking news -- of John Lennon's, Princess Diana's, and more recently, of John Ritter's untimely passing.

Could Steve become Straya's Diana?

BTW Welcome Holy Diver, excellent example of eighties metal art for your avatar. Crikey, does that take me back!

BTW Welcome Holy Diver, excellent example of eighties metal art for your avatar. Crikey, does that take me back!

Down too long in the midnight sea? Next thing you will be asking to ride the tiger! :rolleyes:

I agree, welcome aboard Holy Diver, excellent choice of name and avatar * sigh Dio .... :ph34r:

Is Troy Tempest under arrest? :rolleyes:

Found this on another forum, thought I'd share it:

BBC DENIAL

Sadly, it was before my time. So is a lot of the music that I like actually. Quite a lot of the bands are still going however.

That 'W.A.S.P. deny any involvement' thing is hilarious.

A video shows our man removing the barb from his chest moments before losing consciousness. Because it's part of an investigation into a death the video is now in the hands of local authorities, meaning, just maybe, that some lowly paid minions will have to look after it until the inquest. Wonder if they give into temptation and take a few dollars to make a copy that goes online.

A video shows our man removing the barb from his chest moments before losing consciousness. Because it's part of an investigation into a death the video is now in the hands of local authorities, meaning, just maybe, that some lowly paid minions will have to look after it until the inquest. Wonder if they give into temptation and take a few dollars to make a copy that goes online.

I made a point along the same lines yesterday, MPFC. It'll happen, won't it? Somebody will make a grainy copy and stick it up on the Interweb. And it'll be just like passing a car crash and we'll all click on the provided link....

I read that the cameraman stopped filming just after Irwin lost consciousness, but despite this complete lack of professionalism the video will be worth a pretty penny to someone.

A supposed tribute video to a dead Hungarian Footballer, this is probably the level of taste and decency we can expect when Irwin's footage appears online. Nice how they tastefully work in the scenes of him collapsing after the superb portraits and action shots.

A supposed tribute video to a dead Hungarian Footballer, this is probably the level of taste and decency we can expect when Irwin's footage appears online. Nice how they tastefully work in the scenes of him collapsing after the superb portraits and action shots.

Yes, very artistic and erm, moving. It would also appear, looking at the state of his white shorts, that he soiled himself shortly before collapsing...

That's BHB, your attention to detail has greatly improved my morning. I'd missed that little gem. No wonder his team mates were crying their eyes out; 'I'll bet the chorus of 'You're sh*t and you know you are,' coming from the stands was deafening.

The family may make the video public, as this was his wish if anything ever happened to him when filiming!

It's all just hopping on the bandwagon.

If it's not the crocs, the monitors, the terrapins or stingrays, now we've got to watch out for stongrays as well? :unsure:

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right!

Wow. This really came out of left field didn't it.

I heard a bunch of people talking about it on the radio this morning, and one of the presenters had a slight air of 'I told you so' in the way he talked.

I guess it happens if you constantly put yourself in dangers way.

That's my feeling about it. To be honest I'm rather indifferent to it, he knew the risks.

I'm sure there are Aussies out their crying into their tinnies but....

I read on teletext that Steve may get a State funeral.

It depends on whether the family agree.

Probably fair enough. He's the only world famous Austrailian around at the minute that I can think of this side of 2000.

Probably fair enough. He's the only world famous Austrailian around at the minute that I can think of this side of 2000.

Famous Australian who lived in the US. I hate people like that

World famous Australians have a habit of jumping ship passport wise, from Rupert Murdoch to Rolf Harris they're - legally speaking - no longer Aussies. Does Kylie still have an Australian passport?

World famous Australians have a habit of jumping ship passport wise, from Rupert Murdoch to Rolf Harris they're - legally speaking - no longer Aussies. Does Kylie still have an Australian passport?

They can live where they wish too, I've no problem with that, just play the Australian(or Scouse or Welsh or whatever) card when you've not lived there for decades.

Handy, yer usual clarity of expression has deserted you, what are you on about?

Do you mean it winds you up when they leave and then still play the local card once in a while?

Do you mean it winds you up when they leave and then still play the local card once in a while?

Er yes exactly and they make money on the back of being "The professional Aussie" etc.

I won't edit my original post. I want people to see how anger affects me.

It's only a state funeral in Queensland as opposed to the sort of state funeral Diana Queen of Hearts should have had. As I said a while ago in the unfindable Joh Bjelke Peterson thread, 'Queensland, they're as mad as cut snakes up there'.

Interesting to see this Australian has a less than rosy outlook on recent homeland events.

Er yes exactly and they make money on the back of being "The professional Aussie" etc.

I won't edit my original post. I want people to see how anger affects me.

I took that as a direct dig at Murdoch and his evil ways, maybe it's still a bit early. Do you not have dual citizenship in the Untied Kingdom?

Wow. This really came out of left field didn't it.

I heard a bunch of people talking about it on the radio this morning, and one of the presenters had a slight air of 'I told you so' in the way he talked.

I guess it happens if you constantly put yourself in dangers way.

That's my feeling about it. To be honest I'm rather indifferent to it, he knew the risks.

I'm sure there are Aussies out their crying into their tinnies but....

I guess it's just the same thing as when Dale Earnhardt died. Except Steve Irwin isn't a redneck.

If it's not the crocs, the monitors, the terrapins or stingrays, now we've got to watch out for stongrays as well? unsure.gif

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right!

Can I also at this point ask why the i and o vowel keys on the keyboard are so close together?

Seemed clear enough to me, MPFC.

BHB's link needs more publicity though:

stingraysu1xm4.th.jpg

Interesting to see this Australian has a less than rosey outlook on recent homeland events.

As usual Mz Greer doesn't know her apex from her pivot. Crocs and snakes aren't exactly known for their acute hearing.

As for Steve Irwin being a professional multi-millionaire Aussie, based in the US--I'm not condoning the man--I really didn't like his over-the-top and in-your-face style, but I'll give him credit where credit's due. The millions he earned doing what he did have all been ploughed back into ecology programmes world-wide (it's an impressive list if you look into it) and bolstering up Australia Zoo on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. He actually lived there, not in the US, and genuinely made a difference in peoples' attitude towards ecology and awareness of wild environs.

From the millions he earned, his own personal wealth was/is very small. Sure his family's not going to go broke any time soon, but I think, for all his faults, he was genuine and lived by the values he espoused.

I never thought I'd actually say this, but I think the world will be a little worse off without him. I think it's OTT to ask for a state funeral, and the displays of public mourning for the man are, in my eyes, slightly distasteful.

I'm just disappointed I didn't put him in my DDP picks as an outside bet.