CarolAnn

Baseball

Former National League Rookie of the Year Wally Moon, who played on three World Series-winning teams with the Los Angeles Dodgers, has died. He was 87. Moon played for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1954-58 and was named NL Rookie of the Year in 1954, when he batted .304 with 12 homers and 76 RBI.

But more importantly -- THE GREATEST UNIBROW OF ALL TIME!!!
SC

wally-moon-st-louis-cardinals-1954-nl-roy-signed-auto-8x10-photo7-t5838931-944.jpg

• Haha 2

Former Oriole John “Tito” Francona, who proudly watched his son Terry follow his footsteps to the major leagues, died unexpectedly at his home Tuesday night in New Brighton, Pa. He was 84.

Francona signed in 1952 with the St. Louis Browns and came the Orioles after the 1953 season. 

SC

father-son-cardjpg-0715a230d3f0540d.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 10:29, Sir Creep said:

Former National League Rookie of the Year Wally Moon, who played on three World Series-winning teams with the Los Angeles Dodgers, has died. He was 87. Moon played for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1954-58 and was named NL Rookie of the Year in 1954, when he batted .304 with 12 homers and 76 RBI.

But more importantly -- THE GREATEST UNIBROW OF ALL TIME!!!
SC

Former Orioles catcher Frank Zupo might challenge that statement.

13919729_1427295954.jpg

BTW, he played his last game for Baltimore at age 21, so he's probably around 18-20 in that photo. The Orioles must've had a thing for unibrowed catchers back then, because they also signed Andy Etchebarren to his first pro contract the same year that Zupo's career ended.

• Like 1

Zupo has ‘chest hair’ on his Adam’s apple.  He’s a goddamn hairy ape!  Not sure how any woman could get into that, he must have been celibate and without issue.  

SC

• Haha 1

Ex-Major League Baseball pitcher Jack Hamilton died this week in Branson. He was 79. 

Hamilton signed with the St. Louis Cardinals to begin his professional baseball career. He pitched in the big leagues for the Philadelphia Phillies, New York Mets, Chicago White Sox and California Angels (and unless the baseball card is lying, my Detroit Tigers). His career became known for one pitch. In a game in 1967, Hamilton hit Boston Red Sox slugger Tony Conigliaro in the eye. He nearly died. Conigliaro returned to baseball later but was never the same hitter. 

SC

D1365AE1-A8BF-4D40-81BC-280B881F38EF.jpeg

Longtime Baltimore Orioles pitcher Sammy Stewart has died, the team announced Saturday morning. He was 63.  Stewart made his MLB debut with the Orioles in 1978, striking out seven consecutive batters in his first appearance. Stewart pitched eight seasons in Baltimore, as both a starter and reliever. He led the American League in ERA (2.32) in 1981.

Nicknamed the "Throwin' Swannanoan," Stewart played a key role in the Orioles' last World Series championship in 1983, pitching five scoreless innings in the series. In all, Stewart pitched 12 scoreless postseason innings between 1979 and 1983.  The right-hander finished his career with a season apiece in Boston and Cleveland. He retired after the 1987 season with a mark of 59-48 and a 3.59 ERA.
SC

81-206Fr.jpg

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

"winningest" (is that a word now?) 

No, it's an abomination.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

No, it's an abomination.

As has been noted several times in the past. I can almost feel Phantom die a little every time its posted. (For the record I'm in complete agreement, probably the abominablest thing out there.)

On 11/29/2006 at 21:24, Phantom said:

I'm not American, just live over in the US. I hate the word "Winningest" in fact I had a look at the origin of the word and it seems to have been coined sometime during the mid-70s

On 1/26/2009 at 14:13, Phantom said:

The word "Winningest".

It seems this word started to appear in the early 70s in the U.S. Probably because it was too much effort to say "most successfull"

On 5/19/2014 at 10:53, Cat O'Falk said:

College basketball coach Don Meyer has died.

I've never heard of him but Yahoo says he was "one of the winningest coaches in college basketball".

The bastardization of the English language continues unabatedly onwards.

On 5/19/2014 at 11:46, Phantom said:

It always sets my teeth on edge when I hear the word "winningest"

On 2/23/2015 at 14:30, Phantom said:

One word to surely make me cringe everytime, especially when it comes from the mouth of a newsreader, is "winningest".

• Like 1

+1

1 hour ago, time said:

As has been noted several times in the past. I can almost feel Phantom die a little every time its posted. (For the record I'm in complete agreement, probably the abominablest thing out there.)

Ugh

Agreed 'winningest' is a bit much, but we know what it means so I don't see the crime.  What could possibly replace it: 'Most successful'?  I think not.  That would infer 'success' is a synonym for 'wins', and it isn't.  (Wayne Fontes is the 'winningest' head coach for the Detroit Lions, his overall record 67-71),  'The coach with the most wins'?  Only a stilted ass would prefer that version.
I remember once at a train station I heard a guy say 'that motherfucking motherfucker's a motherfucker!"  And I knew exactly what he meant.  Was the winningest sentence I've ever heard.
SC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That would infer 'success' is a synonym for 'wins', and it isn't.

No, it wouldn't.   It might imply, suggest or insinuate, but it wouldn't infer.  You would be the one doing that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Stands up to be counted as stilted ass (arse) #1

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Agreed 'winningest' is a bit much, but we know what it means so I don't see the crime.  What could possibly replace it: 'Most successful'?  I think not.  That would infer 'success' is a synonym for 'wins', and it isn't.  (Wayne Fontes is the 'winningest' head coach for the Detroit Lions, his overall record 67-71),  'The coach with the most wins'?  Only a stilted ass would prefer that version.
I remember once at a train station I heard a guy say 'that motherfucking motherfucker's a motherfucker!"  And I knew exactly what he meant.  Was the winningest sentence I've ever heard.
SC

Winningest is not only annoying, it is also unspecific.  So if someone is the "winningest" coach, does that mean he has the most wins or the highest winning percentage? They are not necessarily the same thing.  Why not say "Wayne Fontes has more wins than any other Lions coach"? (a dubious distinction)

1 hour ago, Toast said:

No, it wouldn't.   It might imply, suggest or insinuate, but it wouldn't infer.  You would be the one doing that.

Wish I could like this multiple times!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, deadsox said:

Winningest is not only annoying, it is also unspecific.  So if someone is the "winningest" coach, does that mean he has the most wins or the highest winning percentage? They are not necessarily the same thing.  Why not say "Wayne Fontes has more wins than any other Lions coach"? (a dubious distinction)

He is also the losingest Lions coach

• Haha 1

I’m sure I’m not the only person who considered Mets legend Rusty Staub for next months cup. Well, we’re all going to have to find someone else to replace him as he has died aged 73

• Sad 1

GodDAMMIT!!!!!

Trusty Rusty not so trusty, couldn’t last 72 hours.  I give up. 

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

GodDAMMIT!!!!!

Trusty Rusty not so trusty, couldn’t last 72 hours.  I give up. 

So does that mean that I potentially have to go up against gcreptile if I make it to round 3? :unsure:

Carl Scheib made his major league debut on Sept. 6, 1943, relieving against the Yankees in the ninth inning of an 11-4 loss. He was 16 years, 8 months and 5 days old. In all, he got into six games that year, all in relief.

Scheib made his major league debut with the Athletics on Sept. 6, 1943, relieving against the Yankees in the ninth inning of an 11-4 loss.

He pitched for the A’s in all or parts of 11 seasons, but when he died on March 24 in San Antonio at 91, Scheib was most remembered for having been the youngest player in American League history.

In fact, he was the youngest in all of modern Major League Baseball history when he pitched his first game for the A’s. But that distinction was erased when Joe Nuxhall pitched one-third of an inning for the National League’s Cincinnati Reds in his major league debut on June 10, 1944, at the age of 15 years, 316 days. (Nuxhall went on to a long major league career, mostly with the Reds.)

SC
merlin_136436358_8a37b86f-e34f-4559-b0a5-ddb0b55827d3-blog427.jpg