Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Guest iain

Prince Charles father in law (Camillas father), Major Bruce Shand has died at 89. here is a link to the news

Prince Charles father in law (Camillas father), Major Bruce Shand has died at 89. here is a link to the news

Congrats to Windsor, who scores on both the DDP and the HDP!

As I predicted... :lol:

Oh goody goody gumdrops!

I refuse to acknowledge this imposter as being a legitimate royal father-in-law since he is only there due to the murder of the real princess. (can you tell I'm not British?) If it hadn't been for the indiscretions of Charlie and the subsequent slaying of his first wife Brucie would be less than a footnote in a footman's obit. (Can you tell I am still suffering from lingering resentments at booze withdrawal?)

TF - could I respectfully request that you change your avatar before too long. I just had to explain your bollocks away ... so to speak. <_<

Gyorgy Ligeti composer of the opera "Le Grand Macabre" and some of the music used on 2001:A Space Odyssey,

has died aged 83.

Blimey! There's one we missed.

That leaves only Karlheinz Stockhausen alive from that bunch. He recently finished his Magnum Opus to critical dismay, but doesn't look like he's going to drop anytime soon.

TF - could I respectfully request that you change your avatar before too long. I just had to explain your bollocks away ... so to speak. :D

Anything to oblige. <_<

the media tycoon Lord (Kenneth) Thomson has died at 82

Already covered on "Not Famous.. But" thread, Iain.

Although in all fairness to Igor, you didn't put the word "lord" in your post OoO so maybe he saw it as a different Kenneth Thomson who just happened to die on the same day at the same age.

Although in all fairness to Igor, you didn't put the word "lord" in your post OoO so maybe he saw it as a different Kenneth Thomson who just happened to die on the same day at the same age.

<_<

and just happened to both be media tycoons, too. :D

:)

and just happened to both be media tycoons, too. :)

Yes, that too!

Guest iain

the media tycoon Lord (Kenneth) Thomson has died at 82

Already covered on "Not Famous.. But" thread, Iain.

I think he was quite famous

the sculptor Luis Jimenez has been crushed to death by one of his statues.he wasa 65.

its F*****g true i promise see

Si, senor Ignacio, es muy verdad (can you all understand my broken Spanish?) I have read of this terrible tradjedy in the El Paso Times and the Albuquerque Journal and even saw a blibbet of a mention of it on the chyron crawler on one of the news stations. Thank you Igancio for the information.

I will need to take the PATH train over to Jersey City to view his work there in the next day or so (before the grieving crowds arrive).

Si, senor Ignacio, es muy verdad (can you all understand my broken Spanish?)

Bruno, your broken Spanish knocks spots off your usual broken English! :)

I am troubled that Iain's original post has disappeared. Why, last December I remember thinking including in my research for this year's death list picks quite a number under the heading:

"Hispanic-American sculptors I've never heard of who might be crushed to death under their own work"

I think Petruska Clarkson has committed suicide. It'll be highly ironic if it's true given that she's a leading psychotherapist and someone who's made a study of death. Can't find an obit on the Internet but was told about this a couple of days back.

For some bizarre reason, I got this e-mail from a "jane2206".

i saw you posted some news about her death. she had returned to south africa last year to care

for elderly parents , she flew to amsterdam and checked into a hotel where she subsequently took

her own life- very sad for a very brilliant woman and maybe will rock the therapy world !! she

had the last word she wants no memorial service

Haven't the foggiest where I should put it on this forum, but MPFC, it might give a reason for her suicide. Caring for elderly parents is a pretty mind & body sapping thing.

For some bizarre reason, I got this e-mail from a "jane2206".

i saw you posted some news about her death. she had returned to south africa last year to care

for elderly parents , she flew to amsterdam and checked into a hotel where she subsequently took

her own life...

it might give a reason for her suicide. Caring for elderly parents is a pretty mind & body sapping thing.

Maybe she should have killed her elderly parents rather than herself, that would have been better surely. :blink:

Almost-but-not-quite centenarian director Vincent Sherman.

Shame, as I always think dying just short (ie a month/days) of 100 is wrong somehow.

I read the Bette Davis autobiography, More Than A Woman, some 6 or 7 years ago & was amazed that Sherman, who featured heavily, of course, in that book was still alive, back then. Even more amazed he managed to stay alive another seven years. His earlier life was not exactly the cleanest of living.

But hey, :) all the same.

Guest iain
Judge Charles Older who presided over the triasl of Charles Manson and his followers,has died aged 88

Never heard of him, but I was interested to see his family reckoned he shot down 18 Japanese planes during WWII, which sounded like a lot to me. Until, that is, I found this list, which looks about as legit as the various claims to be the world's oldest human:

http://www.1000pictures.com/aircraft/aces.htm

The top British and US fighters had approx 40 or 50 "victories" (which I'm taking as having shot down another plane in a dogfight), the Soviets about 60, the mighty Romanians (were they even in the war?), claim 60 from mighty Prince Constantine Cantacuzene, the Japanese about 80 (hmmm, didn't they come into the war kinda late? Didn't they have a long way to fly before they actually engaged the enemy in combat? Didn't they pretty much get their asses handed to them from Midway onwards?). Then we get to the Germans, who claim an astonishing 352 victories for their top fighter. Riiiiighhhhhtttttt.......

Never heard of him, but I was interested to see his family reckoned he shot down 18 Japanese planes during WWII, which sounded like a lot to me. Until, that is, I found this list, which looks about as legit as the various claims to be the world's oldest human:

http://www.1000pictures.com/aircraft/aces.htm

The top British and US fighters had approx 40 or 50 "victories" (which I'm taking as having shot down another plane in a dogfight), the Soviets about 60, the mighty Romanians (were they even in the war?), claim 60 from mighty Prince Constantine Cantacuzene, the Japanese about 80 (hmmm, didn't they come into the war kinda late? Didn't they have a long way to fly before they actually engaged the enemy in combat? Didn't they pretty much get their asses handed to them from Midway onwards?). The we get to the Germans, who claim an astonishing 352 victories for their top fighter. Riiiiighhhhhtttttt.......

Unless he played a big role during the Battle for Midway in the pacific, I doubt he would have been able to claim that many. Hmmmm 352 I really doubt he took out that many aircraft.

Hmmmm 352 I really doubt he took out that many aircraft.

Perhaps they count paper planes, birds, balloons & gliders in the total? "if it's in the air & we shoot it down - that's another one notched up" :)